Battle avast! Free or Avira Free or MSE with Comodo Firewall?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fluxon

Thread author
Jul 15, 2011
avast! Free with Comodo Firewall vs Avira Free with Comodo Firewall vs MSE with Comodo Firewall.

Which do you think is better and why?

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
RE: avast! Free with Comodo Firewall vs Avira Free with Comodo Firewall vs MSE w/ Comodo

I suggest Avast with Comodo firewall. if you get in trouble or want to prevent, check this video

Last edited by a moderator:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
RE: avast! Free with Comodo Firewall vs Avira Free with Comodo Firewall vs MSE w/ Comodo

What happens if a program triggers the AutoSandbox in Avast, as well as being Sandboxed by Comodo?

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011

My choice will have to be Avast and Comodo, just from what I have seen from what I have been using it.

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011

Earth said:
What happens if a program triggers the AutoSandbox in Avast, as well as being Sandboxed by Comodo?

Good question. I wonder if program would be able to trigger Avast's sandbox. In the worst case the OS would crash.

bitbizket

Level 3
Jul 26, 2011

In my case i prefer the combination of Avira Premium + Comodo Firewall.
Don't forget to disable the Proactive Protection of Avira because they do conflict.
There is 6 month promo license for the Avira Internet Security 2012 which you can use the Antivirus only.
Both seems light and doesn't caused any conflicts IMHO.
Using Avira gave me the upper hand because of the higher detection over Avast.

Thanks

NathanF1

Level 2
Verified
Jul 9, 2011

Avira has better detection rates than Avast, but they [Avira] have been too focused on detection for too long. Not to mention the patchy and inconsistent support for their free product and some questionable endeavors.

Avast on the other hand have improved their product immensely in the last couple of years. For me, they're the most complete free antivirus, which while not having the outright advantage in detection and being marginally slower than Avira, feels a lot more balanced with impressive prevention features.

MSE for me would be a distant third in this contest, solid, but without any clear advantages over the other two - neither fast and light as Avira or Avast, nor having better detection.

Although there is some overlap in functionality when combined with Comodo, I'll have to pick Avast.

bitbizket

Level 3
Jul 26, 2011

NathanF1 said:
Avira has better detection rates than Avast, but they [Avira] have been too focused on detection for too long. Not to mention the patchy and inconsistent support for their free product and some questionable endeavors.

Avast on the other hand have improved their product immensely in the last couple of years. For me, they're the most complete free antivirus, which while not having the outright advantage in detection and being marginally slower than Avira, feels a lot more balanced with impressive prevention features.

MSE for me would be a distant third in this contest, solid, but without any clear advantages over the other two - neither fast and light as Avira or Avast, nor having better detection.

Although there is some overlap in functionality when combined with Comodo, I'll have to pick Avast.

If it was a matter of a Antivirus A vs Antivirus B than obviously i would pick Avast too. The question here which of these two works really well together with Comodo Firewall (this includes D+ & Sandbox). If you look at reports on Comodo's forum it doesn't do too well in the past without the need of tweaking i supposed.

Thanks

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011

bitbizket said:
If it was a matter of a Antivirus A vs Antivirus B than obviously i would pick Avast too. The question here which of these two works really well together with Comodo Firewall (this includes D+ & Sandbox). If you look at reports on Comodo's forum it doesn't do too well in the past without the need of tweaking i supposed.

Thanks

My video will solve some of the issue that might meet. You have to chose which sandbox you want.

Look at the video I posted.

bitbizket

Level 3
Jul 26, 2011

Valentin N said:
My video will solve some of the issue that might meet. You have to chose which sandbox you want.

Look at the video I posted.

Yes, i watch your video. Your method is similar to mine but i give it a greater permission right to Avast and disabled the Avast Sandbox. Also "Treat unrecognised files as Restricted" which is the former default Proactive Security for Comodo till they changed that to Partially Limited. I can't exactly remember why they changed that rule.

Thanks

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011

bitbizket said:
Yes, i watch your video. Your method is similar to mine but i give it a greater permission right to Avast and disabled the Avast Sandbox. Also "Treat unrecognised files as Restricted" which is the former default Proactive Security for Comodo till they changed that to Partially Limited. I can't exactly remember why they changed that rule.

Thanks

they changed because people complained that the wanted program didn't work because they were in the sandbox.

if I am not mistaking it was Limited and not restricted (I am not familiar with CIS v4)

House_maniac

Level 1
Sep 21, 2011

use comodo internet security you will be good to go as its firewall is really strong detects nearly everything sometime it has false positive too but its really good was an avast user before,tried several security suite,but i must say i like the way comodo works :) i also use malwarebyte free as i dont like the pro one with ip blocking kinda suck,and i use hitman pro which is nice too!

malware medic

Oct 6, 2012
avast! Free with Comodo Firewall vs Avira Free with Comodo Firewall vs MSE w/ Comodo

I think comodo internet security free, malwarebytes antimalware free, and superantispyware free is the best combination
Avast and cfw is not really that good
Here are some awesome links
http://www.westcoastlabs.com/realTimeTesting/article/?articleID=1
http://www.av-comparatives.org/comparativesreviews

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
RE: Which Free AV with Comodo Firewall?

OK, that's good.

But what AV would you match with Comodo Firewall, if you weren't able to use Comodo Antivirus? Avast, Avira, MSE etc?

Mind you SAS haven't really proven to be that good from some results, of course if you like the product, continue using it.

malware medic

Oct 6, 2012
RE: Which Free AV with Comodo Firewall?

Earth said:
OK, that's good.

But what AV would you match with Comodo Firewall, if you weren't able to use Comodo Antivirus? Avast, Avira, MSE etc?

Mind you SAS haven't really proven to be that good from some results, of course if you like the product, continue using it.

well I couldn't find any comodo detection tests outside of
http://forums.comodo.com/other-security-products/trsec-september-2012-antivirus-test-t86665.0.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sN7ISKNeGM&feature=related
not really sure why
If I had to I would pair Vipre or Avira to be paired with comodo firewall
Vipre is the lightest antivirus out there and it preforms really good. It is the most underrated antivirus out there.

DiabloBlack

Nov 5, 2011
malware medic said:
I think comodo internet security free, malwarebytes antimalware free, and superantispyware free is the best combination

I question your response that Avast with CFW is a bad combination. I currently use this combination in a VM environment and they work extremely well together. Your westcostlabs link is of an article comparing products from 2011. Event in 2011 I don't recall any test showing Avast with a detection rate of 89% as this page shows right now.

I think you need to re-read the review(s) on the av-comparatives link. They give very good marks to Avast (98% and up).

Neither of the links provide data for firewall software nor a combination of AV + Firewall used together.

CIS is very good but might not be a choice for the average user. Malwarebytes should be on every computer IMO and SuperAntiSpyware is so-so, many here don't recommend using it.

So going back to the original question, I would say Avast + CFW over the other two choices. Adding Malwarebytes as an on-demand scanner is the default for any computer I work on.

malware medic

Oct 6, 2012
DiabloBlack said:
malware medic said:

I question your response that Avast with CFW is a bad combination. I currently use this combination in a VM environment and they work extremely well together. Your westcostlabs link is of an article comparing products from 2011. Event in 2011 I don't recall any test showing Avast with a detection rate of 89% as this page shows right now.

I think you need to re-read the review(s) on the av-comparatives link. They give very good marks to Avast (98% and up).

Neither of the links provide data for firewall software nor a combination of AV + Firewall used together.

CIS is very good but might not be a choice for the average user. Malwarebytes should be on every computer IMO and SuperAntiSpyware is so-so, many here don't recommend using it.

So going back to the original question, I would say Avast + CFW over the other two choices. Adding Malwarebytes as an on-demand scanner is the default for any computer I work on.
The west coast labs thing updates every day. The written reviews stay the same. I put the av comparitives thing because there is so much info on that site.The problem is there is no link that shows every AV with every firewall. You are right about "Avast and cfw is not really that good" being wrong. Not sure how that came out.:huh: In av comparitives look at the different types of the tests. They score higher than avira and mse in real time but avira scores higher than avast and mse in scanning. I think we can all agree that mse is out of the picture

Z

ZeroDay

DiabloBlack said:
malware medic said:

Isn't there a conflict with avast! web shield and comodo firewall? Meaning you'd have to disable avast! web shield to run it along side comodo firewall.

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
ZeroDay said:
Isn't there a conflict with avast! web shield and comodo firewall? Meaning you'd have to disable avast! web shield to run it along side comodo firewall.

On CIS 5.10, Avast 7, and Windows 7, yes. Same with the Windows firewall.

With CIS 5.12, (Adds Windows 8 compatibility) it is also supposed to remedy the issue in Windows 7.

However, Avast is going to change the way they're doing their proxy for the web shield to avoid further issues.

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
Due to the way the web shield proxy connection works in Avast 7 on Windows 7, some software firewalls are unable to filter outbound traffic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.