Avast in talks to merge with Norton

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
In the future, I think the market will be reorganized through mergers like the automobile industry. The names Norton and Avast will continue to be used, but the UI and other elements will be the same, and only a few small features will distinguish them. What you lose is the personality of each vendor. I think that is a little boring future.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Sophos really can't be considered European anymore as it was bought out by Thomas Bravo (Miami) last year.

Sophos made an acquisition very recently (Capsule8) so it as a corporation must retain at least some autonomy.

It seems Broadcom is likewise allowing the same thing (or at least the talks) so these corporations (Norton, Sophos) don't seem at the total mercy of their holders and retain at least an outer shell of their identities.

It seems Broadcom's legal team doesn't see anything wrong with such a mega-merger or the talks would never have started in the first place, I guess. But this is speculation and inference on my part.

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

Well I didn't see this coming, but I do not think this is good for consumers overall. I am not sure what Norton is after, they probably want to make more money via crypto mining....funny how AV's are turning into the things they are suppose to protect us from.:unsure: While it seems that Avira still has their free version available, there's no guarantee that it will be there for ever. Same goes of AVG/Avast if this goes through. After all, Norton Lifelock wants to make money, so if they do continue with the free versions, I guarantee there will be more ads that you cannot get rid of, with the possibility of significantly more data mining.

I hope more companies do not continue to get bought up, as it's going to significantly reduce competition, which seems to have happened already unfortunately. All of these companies got complacent, they really haven't developed very much in terms of new ground breaking tech when it comes to security. They really didn't see MS coming around and making MD as good as it is today. They've constantly and still do rely on fear tactics to keep customers. They force auto renewals hoping that you forget to cancel. Heck Norton is the worst offender IMHO. They force you to add your credit card info when installing a copy of Norton that you bought at a big box store like Best Buy. You already paid for it, but no you have to put your credit info in, or else it won't install...It's really sad.

They are spending their money in the wrong places (ie: developing useless features that no one needs/wants and buying up companies) instead of putting that money into actual R&D to make their products better from a security stand point. The really sad part in all of this, MD (while not perfect...no product is) actually is showing them what they need to do to get better and attract customers. It's called develop better security feature that actually mean something, stop with the scare tactics, stop with the in your face reports trying to prove how you are keeping me safe...etc. I like MD not only because security wise it's very capable, but most importantly it does it's thing without annoying you. It also doesn't do hacky things to make some feature work causing more issues (ie: HTTPS scanning).

They have tried the FUD mud slinging approach, trying everything they can to put MD in a bad light, because they knew what was coming. So far it hasn't worked, many people are starting to realize their lies and more and more people are switching to MD. ADs, data mining, crypto mining and buying up each other is their new game now. I know not everyone may agree, but TBH I am done with 3rd party AVs (exception with Eset and Emsisoft), unless they get bought out by Norton:p It's been very evident over the last number of years that they do not care about security, they do not care about the user....they care about one thing and one thing only...MONEY. If they truly CARED about security, they would actually applaud some of the things MS is doing, but no, they don't, they only see it as an attack on their business, so therefore they are the enemy.

Last edited by a moderator:

peterfat11

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 25, 2021
Well I didn't see this coming, but I do not think this is good for consumers overall. I am not sure what Norton is after, they probably want to make more money via crypto mining....funny how AV's are turning into the things they are suppose to protect us from.:unsure: While it seems that Avira still has their free version available, there's no guarantee that it will be there for ever. Same goes of AVG/Avast if this goes through. After all, Norton Lifelock wants to make money, so if they do continue with the free versions, I guarantee there will be more ads that you cannot get rid of, with the possibility of significantly more data mining.

I hope more companies do not continue to get bought up, as it's going to significantly reduce competition, which seems to have happened already unfortunately. All of these companies got complacent, they really haven't developed very much in terms of new ground breaking tech when it comes to security. They really didn't see MS coming around and making MD as good as it is today. They've constantly and still do rely on fear tactics to keep customers. They force auto renewals hoping that you forget to cancel. Heck Norton is the worst offender IMHO. They force you to add your credit card info when installing a copy of Norton that you bought at a big box store like Best Buy. You already paid for it, but no you have to put your credit info in, or else it won't install...It's really sad.

They are spending their money in the wrong places (ie: developing useless features that no one needs/wants and buying up companies) instead of putting that money into actual R&D to make their products better from a security stand point. The really sad part in all of this, MD (while not perfect...no product is) actually is showing them what they need to do to get better and attract customers. It's called develop better security feature that actually mean something, stop with the scare tactics, stop with the in your face reports trying to prove how you are keeping me safe...etc. I like MD not only because security wise it's very capable, but most importantly it does it's thing without annoying you. It also doesn't do hacky things to make some feature work causing more issues (ie: HTTPS scanning).

They have tried the FUD mud slinging approach, trying everything they can to put MD in a bad light, because they knew what was coming. So far it hasn't worked, many people are starting to realize their lies and more and more people are switching to MD. ADs, data mining, crypto mining and buying up each other is their new game now. I know not everyone may agree, but TBH I am done with 3rd party AVs (exception with Eset and Emsisoft), unless they get bought out by Norton:p It's been very evident over the last number of years that they do not care about security, they do not care about the user....they care about one thing and one thing only...MONEY. If they truly CARED about security, they would actually applaud some of the things MS is doing, but no, they don't, they only see it as an attack on their business, so therefore they are the enemy.
I agree, instead of buying other companies, working on some useless features, and doing skechy tricks. Norton should work on real techs so it's protection could be better, and that is the only way to fight MD.
Following links would show why norton should update their techs instead of mining cryptos.

On this one norton is unable to remove one virus.

These all prove that buying companies, and developing useless things won't make their protection any stronger. If their protection can't beat MD, how can they beat MD?

Last edited:

Venustus

Level 59
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
Or NoVast
Great choice (y) ..Sounds like a virus :LOL:
but add adware that avast has and the instability that Norton sufferes from into the mix
With Avast spyware and Norton mining currency what could be better:LOL:
Norton finally needs to add a torrent client to it's interface to complete the cycle:ROFLMAO:

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
The business version of "If you can't beat them join them", is "If you can't beat them, buy them".

With the number of personal computers in the world used for business and private use, there is even with a Microsoft Defender becoming stronger and stronger enough fish in the water to feed a billion dollar business.

When Avast bought AVG, they only used the behavioral module of AVG and combined their data bases. Avast already used AI in their automated good-bad sample analysis. When you feed an AI with more data it becomes better.

As a relatively junior on this forum, I have read often that AVira was good in heuristics/generic fingerprints (recognizing new variants of same malware family). To be honest I have no idea what the stronghold is of Norton, besides its brand name and reputation.

To receive a free Antivirus on Windows, we pay with telemetry data. The only way to keep up with MD is to get similar amounts of telemetry data. You will never get those amounts of data with a paid model only, therefore Norton buys freemium AntiVirus companies.

AVAST, AVG and AVIRA where the antivirus companies who where the traditional triple-A frremium AV;s from the previous century. They will remain as brands to choose from only sharing their AI-malware detection and their cloud based whitelist. With AI and cloudbased whiteist the AV-industry also has become a numbers came.

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
Great choice (y) ..Sounds like a virus :LOL:

With Avast spyware and Norton mining currency what could be better:LOL:
Norton finally needs to add a torrent client to it's interface to complete the cycle:ROFLMAO:

I actually had been thinking that the next step for Norton would be a "protected" torrent client that "stops malware before it can be saved" as if every security software out there wasn't able to scan files on creation.

Or a "secure" browser... or maybe both.

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
I have the impression that the Norton acquisition is about the market, not the technology. I was using a firewall from my PC tools. After being absorbed by Norton, it disappeared without a trace.

I have that impression too, I dont think this is about technology, but marketshare.

peterfat11

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 25, 2021
I actually had been thinking that the next step for Norton would be a "protected" torrent client that "stops malware before it can be saved" as if every security software out there wasn't able to scan files on creation.

Or a "secure" browser... or maybe both.
or we just need a norton system, because windows is tooo weak to virus.

South Park

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jun 23, 2018
I have the impression that the Norton acquisition is about the market, not the technology. I was using a firewall from my PC tools. After being absorbed by Norton, it disappeared without a trace.
I had used Sygate's excellent free firewall on Win XP before it was acquired by Norton, then discontinued. I ended up using Kerio firewall until moving to Windows 7. (Interestingly, I had also switched from Norton AV to Avast Free because I had so many problems with Norton on that old computer.)

peterfat11

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 25, 2021
not bad compared to this

1626644753622.png

this is the real clunky, at least WD UI is windows 10 theme

1626644734877.png
I must admit it is clunky.

Last edited by a moderator:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.