Avast in talks to merge with Norton

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
I had used Sygate's excellent free firewall on Win XP before it was acquired by Norton, then discontinued. I ended up using Kerio firewall until moving to Windows 7. (Interestingly, I had also switched from Norton AV to Avast Free because I had so many problems with Norton on that old computer.)
Norton is an army ant. Nothing remains after passing.🐜🐜🐜🐜

About Defender.
I'm more dissatisfied with the fact that it's unfriendly and instinctively inoperable than clunky.

Dave Russo

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Norton was trying to sell me extra support, even though I had the utility program running, saying I had programs slowing down my computer, and constant restarts, for me Kaspersky is way smoother to use, but I am staying with Microsoft defender, backups and keeping system restore points, for me its way less bloat

peterfat11

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 25, 2021
Norton was trying to sell me extra support, even though I had the utility program running, saying I had programs slowing down my computer, and constant restarts, for me Kaspersky is way smoother to use, but I am staying with Microsoft defender, backups and keeping system restore points, for me its way less bloat
yes you cloud see ads in my norton at the bottom, it show NUP for me

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

In my brief moment in wikipedia, I found this article.

i thought people here would like to see all the mergers/acquisitions Norton has gotten

They've done quite a few over the years, but they seem to be sweeping up some big names in the AV industry recently and in relatively short order. As it's already been said, this seems very much like a marketshare ploy...however, it still remains to be seen what their end game plan is going to be. WIll all of these companies/products still exist in 5 years?...will their free versions disappear?...or will they keep each company as is? Norton doesn't have the best track record when it comes to keeping the various companies/products they've acquired alive long term....time will tell I guess.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
They've done quite a few over the years, but they seem to be sweeping up some big names in the AV industry recently and in relatively short order. As it's already been said, this seems very much like a marketshare ploy...however, it still remains to be seen what their end game plan is going to be. WIll all of these companies/products still exist in 5 years?...will their free versions disappear?...or will they keep each company as is? Norton doesn't have the best track record when it comes to keeping the various companies/products they've acquired alive long term....time will tell I guess.
Even if Norton buys Avast, I think Avast's software will be inherited. Norton doesn't have a free version, so avast and avg should do that.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
They also have Avira with a free version.
It's my guess.
Well-known security software, including avira, will function as a lure. The more types of lures you have, the better, so leave the brand as it is. Replace all paid versions of those software with Norton. In other words, Norton can get the brand image as a paid higher version.

peterfat11

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 25, 2021
Just be patient. Norton will combine the best features from its purchases.
u sure?? like they did with pctools? xD
like the check mark will be the feature.......
1626708069377.png
1626708090542.png

sona

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Nov 14, 2013
Norton is targeting free softwares so that it can mine and earn money.
It is also possible that Norton wants to destroy the av industry ? Now who's the next McAfee? It will be better to use WD+ Malwarebytes free + online and offline backup + commonsense + virustotal.

Reactions: Venustus

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.