At the moment i have avast free installed and it's not bad

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
thank you all for your time and information :D
What are your thoughts about utilizing the Manual Sandbox, SafeZone for online shopping, or tweaking the Firewall, in avast Internet Security. If none, then I strongly suggest Norton Security 2015.

I did trial avast Sandbox, but I noticed sometimes applications did not run, or failed to work after installation. Sandboxie may be better for this sort of testing software.

The SafeZone is an isolated environment using an older version of Chrome/Chromium (didn't check which one), and prevents any keyloggers or capture recordings. There's also Notepad in SafeZone, although no idea what that would be used for.

A clean system with an updated, secure browser with trusted browser extensions is more than enough to do task for online shopping/banking. IMO, eliminates the SafeZone.

avast Firewall isn't the simplest, but the Trace feature adds a nice touch to know what processes are connected to where in the world.

wisd0m

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Mar 17, 2014
What are your thoughts about utilizing the Manual Sandbox, SafeZone for online shopping, or tweaking the Firewall, in avast Internet Security. If none, then I strongly suggest Norton Security 2015.

I did trial avast Sandbox, but I noticed sometimes applications did not run, or failed to work after installation. Sandboxie may be better for this sort of testing software.

The SafeZone is an isolated environment using an older version of Chrome/Chromium (didn't check which one), and prevents any keyloggers or capture recordings. There's also Notepad in SafeZone, although no idea what that would be used for.

A clean system with an updated, secure browser with trusted browser extensions is more than enough to do task for online shopping/banking. IMO, eliminates the SafeZone.

avast Firewall isn't the simplest, but the Trace feature adds a nice touch to know what processes are connected to where in the world.

If I was the only one using this pc I think that sandbox and safezone are great features but since this pc is used by more than just me and mostly by kids they don't really care about sandbox or other features they only know they are dealing with a virus or malware when the antivirus software tells them that so until now i used avast hardened mode on moderate and protected avast with a password so they can't add exclusions and worked well for me
thank's for your reply

Rahadian Putra

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jan 28, 2014
I think if you already familiar with the whole features in Avast, and since it's already performed well it can protect your PC while being used by kids, then I'd suggest stick with Avast, unless you had a plan to understanding how a new Norton IS 2015 works, and how you can configure it properly to fit your need just like Avast in hardened mode, then I see no reason to switch. Yes I am Norton's user but I'm not a fanboy, when it comes to file reputation I think Norton is a bit better, if you don't mind with FP then you can turn trust files based from Symantec and Community, although I choose based from symantec to reduce FP. Download insight is something that I really like from Norton, to keep our system clean and only running trusted and clean files. Regarding the vote..I vote for Norton because it's already works for me and performed well to keep my PC clean, not because in terms of detection and blah blah, but in the end..both programs are excellent and I do recommend it to my friends :)

Reactions: wisd0m and Raul90

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Thats based on what? First of all the system resources used by Norton these days are one of the lowest around, and currently Avast IS uses more system resources.
Cheers

It depends on the system and the available resources actually. Avast flushes the memory and brings it down to 5MB every 10seconds, which is why it's considered light and one of the best for low-end systems. Moreover when you have a low-end system, one of my system had just 256MB RAM, I could barely run the scanner in Norton while I was fine with Avast.

But on another system with 4GB RAM, Norton was quite light. So you see the difference.

The context of light antivirus more specifically deals with when you've a resource-constraint system.

Reactions: wisd0m

goro

Level 1
Verified
Aug 6, 2014
hmm. I think people just need to be careful when surfing internet, reading files,... then you will be safe with free AV. IS ver is too much for me, i dont want to be a waste of my parents's money :p

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
If you are experienced user just Windows Defender in Win 8 can protect you.
If you are inexperienced user, or reckless, clicking everything you see, sooner or later you'll be infected whatever security software you're using.
Specifically RAM usage doesn't determine how light is your AV, unless you have system that has very little work memory. It's very rare nowadays. System responsiveness, opening, writing the files (whatever the method or motive is), boot time, and cpu utilization on scanning by real time protection components determines how an AV impacts your system.
Yes, I can agree, if someone here knows something about Norton (and many other things), then @n.nvt knows.

I am always in business to educate people how to protect themselves when using computer and browsing the internet. Not to blindly rely on an AV to protect them. My point is, both Avast and Norton are good programs, my vote will go to Norton because of it's SONAR, and that doesn't mean Avast is bad.

ا

الشمس

If you are experienced user just Windows Defender in Win 8 can protect you.
If you are inexperienced user, or reckless, clicking everything you see, sooner or later you'll be infected whatever security software you're using.

wiser words have not been written in recent times :cool: way to go boramurdar :)

Raul90

Level 14
Feb 5, 2012
Why don't you try both at separate times...I'd go with Norton first(SONAR really is best). When I try something out like what I did with BD, I created a partition just for it and let it stand for 10-20 days. Then switch to Avast IS. You'll get a good feel about both and will help you base your decision with regards to your experience and preference. As the guys said, both are good programs so since you have Avast free (no firewall, sandbox etc there) now it'd be good to try both suites.

jerzy601

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 20, 2011
both programs are good that I had a big problem to install but I decided I would have to Avast and it Avast Internet Security but the decision is yours, and this still depends on what your equipment and its features.

Reactions: wisd0m
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.