App Review avast! Internet Security 7 Review (nsm0220)

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

NSG001

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Nov 21, 2011
avast! Internet Security 7 Review
Uploaded to YouTube by nsm0220

Kindly N.B.
The review of this software is not carried out by me.
Any questions or criticisms should be directed to the author of the video.
These videos are posted for the communities education and for entertainment value only :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
From 3:00 to 4:10 the reviewer shows a good example of a flaw in avast's design. I too found the pop-up a little confusing.

WebRep doesn't do much? Will be interesting to see it as standalone extension since the changes in Chrome extensions.

NSG001

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Nov 21, 2011
"It's a mess"
v8B6x.gif

Many infections on his machine.

Tobi

Jul 7, 2011
He makes antivirus reviews now? Interesting. Though I didn't think he would test avast when he hates them.

P

Plexx

Thanks for the sharing.

Earth, go grab a beer and sit tight because we are about to see an excuse from someone regarding the video...

Spirit

Level 2
May 17, 2012
Maybe a excuse come but avast have fail on many aspects and even can't detect the poor malware which mse and quickheal detects.

I have not only removed avast from my security but also deleted installer as i am in no mood of using it any day:dodgy:

P

Plexx

Avast can still be used properly if set correctly but then again, every solution has flaws... Take ESET on version 4... was a failure by most user's perspective. NIS 2010 was a failure by most users perspective. Kaspersky: came a long way with issues still needing to be addressed. GFI: still has the scan ui without any info basically and slow scan speed.

I got avast running on a 3rd machine at home and its simply for browsing and download. Infections: none. But I also have sites blocked and stuff like that. That machine is also running Norton DNS.

While I am Happy with ESET, I also don't mind avast, but my own configuration of avast is not the most recommended for one reason: if you don't know what you are doing you will get infected.

NSG001

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Nov 21, 2011
Biozfear said:
Thanks for the sharing.

Earth, go grab a beer and sit tight because we are about to see an excuse from someone regarding the video...

Hoping for a balanced mature debate :sleepy:

P

Plexx

NSG001 said:
Biozfear said:
Thanks for the sharing.

Hoping for a balanced mature debate :sleepy:

You will be lucky if we have silence as the mature debate... There is bound to have an excuse flying from the sky...

D

Deleted member 178

Biozfear said:
Thanks for the sharing.

:lolz: that going to kill me :p

malwarekiller

Mar 30, 2012
A quick search reveals who Nsm0220 is:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?action=search2
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=81761.0

He got banned of avast forum for showing his alter attitude..

He blamed avast for not helping gdata...i am not sure why..He is troller..and for him Not enough evidence=no evidence :huh:

Stranger said:
Maybe a excuse come but avast have fail on many aspects and even can't detect the poor malware which mse and quickheal detects.

I have not only removed avast from my security but also deleted installer as i am in no mood of using it any day:dodgy:

As biofear says..all product have cons...dont get depressed stranger...remember use what works for you..dont trust these testings..Use a program since you like it..not because others dont show good about it to you :p You can look at the results from our malware hub and decide how well avast does with malwares for example! :cool:

P

Plexx

malwarekiller said:
A quick search reveals who Nsm0220 is:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?action=search2
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=81761.0

He got banned of avast forum for showing his alter attitude..

He blamed avast for not helping gdata...i am not sure why..He is troller..and for him Not enough evidence=no evidence :huh:

Stranger said:

As biofear says..all product have cons...dont get depressed stranger...remember use what works for you..dont trust these testings..Use a program since you like it..not because others dont show good about it to you :p You can look at the results from our malware hub and decide how well avast does with malwares for example! :cool:

Troller or not, the Video was and still is legit and is worth more than 1000 words (and they say a picture is worth more than 1000 words)...

Simply put, it proves that Avast is not perfect, just like Earth said.

Everyone should take the reviews and tests with a pinch of salt. Sure it will give you an idea however if we are to view the reviews and videos of IObit MF and Anvisoft malware tool, we should still take it with a pinch of salt.

At work, everyone says AVG is way too inferior compared to other free products. Some even go as far as saying MSE is way better.

Yet there are still users that use AVG simply because it does what it says in the tin and they are happy with it (to note that not all users are advanced users).

Regardless of who is the video maker, whether he has been banned from forums A and B or not, we still need to give him credit for the time he took to make the video review, regardless of the nature behind his video, or shall we say purpose to send a message.

We are all adults here and should respect everyone despite whatever has happened in the past.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
I would like to bring out some very important points that a lot of people seem to not realize.

1. Using malware links to test any antivirus is not reliable.
2. Not all malware is detected by any solution, it is up to the user to make decisions on what to download and install.
3. In this review just like all other reviews, the reviewer manually downloads and installs the malware. The malware does not sneak into the system or use vulnerabilities.
4. Watch the closely and use common sense, where does the user make the mistakes which causes the infections? First mistake, they download a file from a unknown source. Second, they ignore the installer warning that the file is not digitally signed. Third, they ignore UAC warning and allow the installer to run. If a user is this ignorant, it doesn't matter what antivirus they use they will get infections.

The first and second line of defense was ignored by the user in order to get these infections. So if you are one of those users who don't watch what you download and install then this review might mean something to you.

If you are a user like myself who never downloads and install files from unknown sources then this review is completely useless.

I'm more worried about the malware that sneaks into your system without you knowing about it or uses vulnerabilities.

Avast and many other antivirus do an excellent job at detection these kind of malware.

You are the first line of defense not your antivirus. These video reviews expect your antivirus to do all of the work like you are completely ignorant about how to check sources before download and installing unknown files. Then the review even makes the user look more ignorant when they ignore Windows own defense (digital file checker warning and UAC warning). If this user was this ignorant and Avast did detect these malware the user would probably find a way to disable Avast and allow them to run anyway.

If someone doesn't pay better attention than this then they deserve the infections. Don't blame it on your antivirus for not detecting the things that are so obvious and could have been avoided.

Once again this is not a good way to test an antivirus.

A good test would show how well an antivirus would do detecting threats that use vulnerabilities, files with fake digital signatures and files that download and install without any user actions without the user knowing about it.

Thanks.:D

D

Deleted member 178

agree again with Littlebits, most of the time, i just watch those videos to see the the resources usage or some new features introduced by the vendor :D
i generally skip the malware testings, or just see the detection rates to have an idea.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
I see that Avast is not perfect again. It does well, but it depends on what you test it against and how old are the links. I think the guy that made the video did a great job gives people the idea that Avast or any other AV for that matter is not perfect. All these tests should be like Biozfear said taken with a grain of salt. It's only a test and to give people the idea on how it's going to perform not it's rock solid proof that it's going to protect you. There are other programs out there that will do the same thing that Avast does, like AVG, Comodo, Trend and what not.

malwarekiller

Mar 30, 2012
No AV is 100% in simple words..

And nice little explanation littlebits...

And i clarified why we dont have detection for these old malwares and they said that either these old things are not existant in real world computers so no use detecting...but we can see that the autosandbox and other features were able to get the old malwares :blush:

malwarekiller

Mar 30, 2012
At 14:12 part of the review...did anybody notice the red alert from autosandbox?? :D

I am wondering how he got a rootkit running...there were no Zaccess droppper process in memory...and that file was running in avast sandbox i guess..And from some experience is learn that avast blocks the Zaccess infection alive on a machine and tries to stop it...and if he had executed zaccess dropper avast will block the malicious files in installer folder constantly and if he had it at that time before HMP scan then avast would have gone mad with alerts...you guys can test it with a VM...there is something fishy about the test...

and win32:Induc was blocked by avast...but it was ran when avast was disabled...what a mess! :exclamation:

I also think he ran Zaccess when avast was disabled at start of Zero day part..

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.