Battle Avast Internet Security or Emsisoft AM + HitmanPro.Alert or Zemana AM.

D

Deleted member 178

Just realized Emsisoft has no SSL/HTTPS scanning whilst Avast IS has it

It's a hot topic lately

Security Alert - Private, But Not Secure: HTTPS is Hiding Cybercrime
Using SSL/HTTPS scanning means the vendor has to install his certificate to filter traffic (aka the certificate being between your browser and the site you visit...aka a "legal" MITM) which involve possible privacy issues.
Emsisoft AM doesn't do such thing indeed. Not saying some vendors may have certificates less secure than the one of your browser.

Last edited by a moderator:

Captain Awesome

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 7, 2016

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Using SSL/HTTPS scanning means the vendor has to install his certificate to filter traffic (aka the certificate being between your browser and the site you visit...aka a "legal" MITM) which involve possible privacy issues.
Emsisoft AM doesn't do such thing indeed. Not saying some vendors may have certificates less secure than the one of your browser.
Fine if EAM does not do that. If that's the case then how does EAM filter SSL/HTTPS traffic to protect against malware and threats as detailed in the below link?

Private, But Not Secure: HTTPS is Hiding Cybercrime | SecurityWeek.Com

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
Fine if EAM does not do that. If that's the case then how does EAM filter SSL/HTTPS traffic to protect against malware and threats as detailed in the below link?

Private, But Not Secure: HTTPS is Hiding Cybercrime | SecurityWeek.Com
I think Emsisoft filters all traffic via host filtering. So, instead of inspecting individual websites, Emsisoft inspects the hosts. If the host is blacklisted, no matter if it's in secured connection or not, then it's blocked. :)

I'm not totally sure about this, though. :D

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I think Emsisoft filters all traffic via host filtering. So, instead of inspecting individual websites, Emsisoft inspects the hosts. If the host is blacklisted, no matter if it's in secured connection or not, then it's blocked. :)

I'm not totally sure about this, though. :D
If it's true then is filtering hosts more effective than filtering SSL/HTTPS traffic? And if yes again then ALL AV vendors would have chosen this method over SSL/HTTPS filtering, right?

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
If it's true then is filtering hosts more effective than filtering SSL/HTTPS traffic? And if yes again then ALL AV vendors would have chosen this method over SSL/HTTPS filtering, right?
I think the main reason for Emsisoft's decision is what @Umbra already said, that's it's about prioritizing privacy. :)

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
So privacy vs infection which is more important?
I don't think that's what's in the mind of Emsisoft devs. I think it's more of protection without sacrificing privacy. :)

I'm not using Emsisoft, by the way. I use Kaspersky, which intercepts HTTPS protocol. :LOL:

Anyway, I think we're off-topic already. :D

D

Deleted member 178

Exact, and you can even add more sites using 3rd party lists (like i do by adding MVPS) or unblock those already listed.

So privacy vs infection which is more important?
My personal point of view: you don't have any more privacy when infected (especially by RATs or keyloggers), so Security first.
About if other vendors do host filtering, they surely do, either locally or via cloud (depending on how their "web protection" feature works).

I don't think that's what's in the mind of Emsisoft devs. I think it's more of protection without sacrificing privacy. :)
Exact
Anyway, I think we're off-topic already. :D
Indeed, better go back to the topic.

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
I would suggest EAM and HitmanPro.Alert from your options. As well, maybe, in my case, i would add Windows Firewall Control to have more control over Windows Firewall. If i was the one in doubt, my possible configuration would be:

• Emsisoft Anti Malware
  • VoodooShield
  • HitmanPro.Alert
  • Windows Firewall Control

I would probably get rid of HPA but you can always test by yourself.

D

Deleted member 178

EAM after installed did not let my windows 10 start at all ... tried everything without success.
Avast caused BSOD...
Do you have other security apps active?
Did you have other AVs installed then removed before installing EAM?
Do you have a clean backup of Windows (without any AV or security apps in it)? if yes, you may restore it and try installing EAM again.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.