Avast Premier vs Comodo Firewall + Avast free

T

The paranoid one

Thread author
Hi

A friend gives me an Avast Premium license for 8 months. I am using a free combo with Comodo Firewall (Cruelsister settings) and Avast (Jack settings) and I have doubts about which option protects me better.

I don´t know the quality of the Avast firewall, I also don´t know the level of its sandbox and on the other hand, Comodo Firewall is not comfortable to maintain, since it blocks legitimate programs, browser extensions, and even Windows updates.

I know I can have Sandboxie installed on my computer to act on demand, but what I'm most interested in knowing is what configuration do you advise me regarding protection.

Thank you in advance

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Did you see the latest a-v comparables? Avast hit 100%:

AV Test - AV-Comparatives May 2017 test. Windows Defender did great!

I guess Avast's extensive user base is generating a great wealth of protection value when it comes to detection on the a-v side.

Comodo Firewall is not comfortable to maintain, since it blocks legitimate programs, browser extensions, and even Windows updates.

Have to agree :(. Feels like I've spent alot of time working with settings, but the clumsiness of unblocking apps (the 100% sure thing safe ones) and the miniscule quirks (barely even bugs) with command-line monitoring (can lead to a broken app) take away from the value of the protection. Sandboxie would be appealing to me if I had Avast premier, but then I would probably cry for the Comodo firewall element since I have learned my way around.

Have you considered Avast Free with a minimal installation (choose the custom installation)? You can eliminate all the cleaner and other elements from even being installed in the latest version I installed. I mean in Proactive Comodo does have your back with the sandbox and firewall.

This might be a disturbing thought, but I run Qihoo 360 Total Security almost exclusively for its sandbox. It is marvelous for MS Office applications and for browsers. It even has a small icon on s/bxed app for access to sandboxed files (new/edited files). Detection and behavior protection scope of 360 fit extraordinarilly well with CFW. It's almost like they made it to pair with CFW. Anwyay, to double down on any quirks that might be in CFW, I added NVT ERP. It's so light it's crazy, and the app is VERY cleanly written, stable, and cleverly designed. A few additions to the Vulnerables list is all it took for me to be hooked on it.

Hope someone with some experience working with the Avast firewall can help with this. I haven't ever found much on the topic. Minimal info here:

Avast Firewall any good?

Last edited:

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
Avast is sux better totaly change it to other software... go use fully Comodo and instal free zemana and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for o/d scan. if you dont like comodo sandbox you can use free version of sandboxie at last.

Why do you think Avast sucks? Be specific when saying why you don't like it. Can help the user make a better decision.

Honestly, I'd say just pick Avast Free (protection) with Zemana for scanning. Commodo uses way too much resources and is extremely buggy.

novocaine

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Aug 19, 2016
Hi

A friend gives me an Avast Premium license for 8 months. I am using a free combo with Comodo Firewall (Cruelsister settings) and Avast (Jack settings) and I have doubts about which option protects me better.
just yesterday I tried ths combo because I have seen Avast changelog .2288 that incompatibility with CFW has been fixed but actually no it is not. wih CFW default setting it's fine but with CFW proactive mode it's a mess.

I don´t know the quality of the Avast firewall, I also don´t know the level of its sandbox and on the other hand, Comodo Firewall is not comfortable to maintain, since it blocks legitimate programs, browser extensions, and even Windows updates.
nothing special with Avast FW, and I have never seen CFW blocking legitimate programs, extention or windows update, there must be something wrong with your CFW.

I know I can have Sandboxie installed on my computer to act on demand, but what I'm most interested in knowing is what configuration do you advise me regarding protection.

Thank you in advance
are you often hang on public hot spot? if so CFW proactive with advanced FW setting enabled, no need AV, just o/d scanner then all set
is it for your home PC? if so then use Avast free and Windows Firewall

I think it would be better combo :
Avast Free + Windows Firewall
CFW + o/d scanner (Zemana AM / HMP / MBAM)

Reactions: The paranoid one
T

The paranoid one

Thread author
. go use fully Comodo
Thanks. Maybe a very good idea
You don't need avast, comodo firewall is really good alone xD
Comodo FW only maybe?
Thanks @Hector1 and @LanDude Not, because I´m @The paranoid one :D
Avast!'s firewall is similar to Norton, very silent and yet powerful.
Thanks for this info.It´s very useful
Have to agree :(. Feels like I've spent alot of time working with settings, but the clumsiness of unblocking apps (the 100% sure thing safe ones) and the miniscule quirks (barely even bugs) with command-line monitoring (can lead to a broken app) take away from the value of the protection. Sandboxie would be appealing to me if I had Avast premier, but then I would probably cry for the Comodo firewall element since I have learned my way around.
Have you considered Avast Free with a minimal installation (choose the custom installation)? You can eliminate all the cleaner and other elements from even being installed in the latest version I installed. I mean in Proactive Comodo does have your back with the sandbox and firewall.
This might be a disturbing thought, but I run Qihoo 360 Total Security almost exclusively for its sandbox. It is marvelous for MS Office applications and for browsers. It even has a small icon on s/bxed app for access to sandboxed files (new/edited files). Detection and behavior protection scope of 360 fit extraordinarilly well with CFW. It's almost like they made it to pair with CFW. Anwyay, to double down on any quirks that might be in CFW, I added NVT ERP. It's so light it's crazy, and the app is VERY cleanly written, stable, and cleverly designed. A few additions to the Vulnerables list is all it took for me to be hooked on it.Hope someone with some experience working with the Avast firewall can help with this. I haven't ever found much on the topic. Minimal info here:
Avast Firewall any good?
I've learned a lot by reading to you. Thank you. I see that Qihoo has as many followers as detractors, I see is not an indifferent AV. I'm seriously thinking of trying it, but even though I'm paranoid,but, is it not much to have in the same system CF+ Qihoo + NVT ERP?
You dont need comodo FW, avast free with windows firewall is really good.
Avast firewall = tinywall.
Thanks. Yes, it is, but i think (IMO) CF is stronger than window's firewall
Honestly, I'd say just pick Avast Free (protection) with Zemana for scanning. Commodo uses way too much resources and is extremely buggy.
Comodo is light in my system, but yes, it has some bugs anf that, sometimes, makes me going mad
just yesterday I tried ths combo because I have seen Avast changelog .2288 that incompatibility with CFW has been fixed but actually no it is not. wih CFW default setting it's fine but with CFW proactive mode it's a mess.nothing special with Avast FW, and I have never seen CFW blocking legitimate programs, extention or windows update, there must be something wrong with your CFW.
are you often hang on public hot spot? if so CFW proactive with advanced FW setting enabled, no need AV, just o/d scanner then all set. is it for your home PC? if so then use Avast free and Windows Firewall.I think it would be better combo : Avast Free + Windows Firewall. CFW + o/d scanner (Zemana AM / HMP / Malwarebytes Anti-Malware)
Thanks, learning of your experience. Sometimes the simplest is better.
yeah,if u use comodo fw with an antivirus,no need to use it in proactive mode,unless you use auto containment.
Thanks. Honestly, I use CF for its proactive way, I know I am exaggerated, but I want a very strong defense, even if it is unnecessarily strong
@novocaine : I did have problems with cfw blocking my windows update. @ op : avast free in hardened mode plus zonealarm free firewall is an amazingly light yet powerful combo! :)
Thanks. Is Zonealarm really strong? I read it can cause problems with some AVs and also with the ports management.
Thank you all for your help :)

Reactions: Rengar

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017
hello :)
since u got sandbox with avast premier I guess Avast is enough.you don't need Comodo+avast free
just run the browser in the avast sandbox:p
also, they added the ransomware shield to their products so you are protected but I will add smth like hitman pro alert or Heimdal PRO or Malwarebytes anti exploit(free but always in beta)to this setup for fileless malware

russ0408

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jul 28, 2013
I'm using Avast Premier, with hardened mode off and Voodooshield pro. There is no slow downs on the system I have Voodooshield set to autopilot. Both programs are basically set and forget. Really like it so far.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.