Troubleshoot Avast Replacement

Gadsilla

Thread author
May 10, 2018
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
Looking for a new anti virus that I can replace Avast with.
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
I've looked through different forums, and the internet in general. I've found that a lot of lists telling you what AW to buy is often sponsored by the anti viruses themselves, or the creators of the list have some other indirect profit motive. Therefore I don't find it as reliable, unlike this forum which appears very genuine.
Hello, I'm a current Avast user with very little to no experience within the technicalities of how anti viruses work or anything beyond that in this field. I've been using Avast for around four years, and I don't like the direction Avast has taken lately. It appears that Avast is aiming at becoming the jack of all trades, which in my perception often ends up with being the master of none. Avast has also gotten quite annoying lately constantly poking me to purchase a new software they've created, like Avast driver updater, Avast cleanup, Avast securline VPN, Avast passords, ect. I'm using my Avast together with Malwarebytes premium, and I've never had any issue with Malewarebytes.

Here's a screenshot of my Avast: Screenshot - 82e42a86ad54fadfb35ac89581c342ce - Gyazo
It's asking me to purchase Avast cleanup, disguised as me having the ability to clean by clicking ''Løs Problemer'' ''Solve the issues''.

Due to the reasons mentioned above I've decided to not renew my Avast premier and I'm looking for a new anti virus. I'm looking for one that isn't needy, and only serves its purpose as an anti virus. I'd prefer one that uses very little resources. Through my observation on the internet looking at antiviruses it appears that Bitdefender is a very popular anti virus, however there appears to be some sort of eccentric behavior around it which might disguise a reality where Bitdefender isn't as good as it's perceived.

Has anyone tested out Bitdefender and is able to give some sort of recommendation, or review ? I've read through some reviews on this forum, but I did not material that compares Avast to Bitdefender.

Last edited:

Kuttz

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 9, 2015
what do you people think free antivirus providers make their money off of? donations?
how can anyone be mad at a free suite forcing ads on you, you surely expect something like this
and if i remember correctly the paid suite lets you disable all this, so where is the issue?

Not all Free Anti Virus work like spyware. BD Free, Sophos Free or even Kaspersky Free basically exists for promoting their paid versions and also for strengthening their threat interception capabilities by increased user base and intelligence sharing. Just going through one privacy terms reveals a lot. Avast Free now literally functions like a spyware and nagware. When there are better alternatives available why emotionally cling to a once good AV ?

Upvote 0
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Free?

I'd roll with FortiClient+OSArmor or FortiClient+VoodooShield. Lighter than WD+anything and a way way better web shield than virtually anything else. I think anyone would be incredibly hard pressed to infect a machine with either of those combinations.

Paid consumer? I'd probably go with G Data and run that vanilla with nothing else but if you insist, VoodooShield actually runs really really well with G Data. Alternatively my secret setup, but it must remain a secret. :censored:

Paid commercial? SEPC of course.

Upvote 0

Brie

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jan 1, 2018
Not all Free Anti Virus work like spyware. BD Free, Sophos Free or even Kaspersky Free basically exists for promoting their paid versions and also for strengthening their threat interception capabilities by increased user base and intelligence sharing. Just going through one privacy terms reveals a lot. Avast Free now literally functions like a spyware and nagware. When there are better alternatives available why emotionally cling to a once good AV ?
why does avast free do just as good as paid security suites in the malware hub?

Reactions: Weebarra
Upvote 0

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
why does avast free do just as good as paid security suites in the malware hub?
Because Avast Free is almost the same than Avast Premier but with a firewall + bloatware. All the important modules are present on the free version, except a few. That's why it performs like a paid suite, which if you pay for, will get the same results in the Hub probably. That's why I recommend not paying for Avast Premier/any paid version of it. :)

Reactions: Weebarra
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 65228

Avast and telemetry

giphy.gif

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.