App Review Avast Ultimate

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Product name
Avast Ultimate
Installation (rating)
5.00 star(s)
User interface (rating)
3.00 star(s)
Accessibility notes
The interface looks a bit like Bitdefender but more configuration options available. Every option is under buttons.
Performance (rating)
3.00 star(s)
Core Protection (rating)
4.00 star(s)
Proactive protection (rating)
5.00 star(s)
Additional Protection notes
0 day and old malware are instantly detected and quarantined.
Fast with detecting new malware.
Browser protection (rating)
4.00 star(s)
Positives
    • Many features
    • Low impact on system resources
    • Lightning fast scans
    • Highly configurable
    • Easy to use
    • Simple and non-intrusive
    • Ransomware protection
    • Strong and reliable protection
    • Detects or blocks in the wild malware
    • Consistently high test scores
    • Accurate results and reliable antivirus engine
    • Effective malicious URL blocking
    • Virus signatures are updated daily
    • Excellent scores in independent tests
    • Great value for money
    • Effective malware removal
    • Well designed, clear and easy to use interface
    • Multi-layer protection approach
Negatives
    • Can be costly to run
    • Advanced users may want more control
    • Clumsy or awkward interface (UI)
    • Noticeable negative system impact
    • Resource intensive tasks
    • Can slow down your browsing speed
    • Slows down browsing the Internet
    • Browser extension extras can be unreliable
    • Significant impact while playing games
Time spent using product
Reviewed over a 30-day period
Computer specs
Same as my specs here on the site.
Recommended for
  1. All types of users
  2. Inexperienced users
  3. Experienced users
Overall rating
3.00 star(s)

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
The last several times I tried AVG, with the same engine, I had about an 8% drop in framerate in games. Not a big deal if you don't play games. I really liked it otherwise, but I couldn't even see why it was happening as CPU usage wasn't 100%, but it was repeatable in several titles. And lower 3DMark scores for CPU. Baffling, but it's a good product otherwise.

L0ckJaw

Level 19
Thread author
Verified
Content Creator
Well-known
Feb 17, 2018
The last several times I tried AVG, with the same engine, I had about an 8% drop in framerate in games. Not a big deal if you don't play games. I really liked it otherwise, but I couldn't even see why it was happening as CPU usage wasn't 100%, but it was repeatable in several titles. And lower 3DMark scores for CPU. Baffling, but it's a good product otherwise.
I don’t play games for me use a console ,
Computers are for other business 👨‍💼

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Avast is a good product overall with good signatures, web protection and behavior blocker. Low CPU usage and fast browsing even with HTTPS scanning are a good side.
But it slows down the system shutdown process by quite a few seconds. The most I've seen among top products. If you enable verbose logging on Windows then you can see that a couple of Avast processes are taking time to shut down.
Also, I'm not a fan of its Firewall. The default Public profile is too restrictive. Cloudflare Warp didn't work in the Public profile the last time I checked it. Don't know if they have made any changes to that. I have also seen on their forum people reporting these types of block by the Firewall. Their suggestion is to use Private firewall profile to fix it which is not ideal IMO.

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
I've been testing it in 3 different computers lately and noticed no slow downs in boot, operation or shut down. Net navigation is quite faster as well. They have improved a lot since the last time I tested it.

Trooper

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 28, 2015
I like that you can customize the install of Avast and choose which settings and protection you want installed. If I could get a cheap license for it I would run it on a few spare machines with no hesitation. Thanks for the review @L0ckJaw !

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
Just to add to my previous comment, Avast is the first security software I tested lately that does not stop my wife's computer connection to her work VPN. Everything else forced me to manually configure their firewalls, that includes ESET, Bitdefender and Kaspersky.

Digmor Crusher

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 27, 2018
This is a quote from one of the helpers at the Malwarebytes forum. lots of posts there from people who bought licenses from G2A that stopped working after a brief time.

"G2a was never ever any 'authorized' seller. period. end of that. G2a is a infamous pirater, who provides 'bogus' license keys. alleged 'keys'- made up bogus keys. They snag people in with super cheap price. Do not get fooled.
Anyone else who makes assertion that G2a is 'legit' is just sadly mistaken."

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
This is a quote from one of the helpers at the Malwarebytes forum. lots of posts there from people who bought licenses from G2A that stopped working after a brief time.

"G2a was never ever any 'authorized' seller. period. end of that. G2a is a infamous pirater, who provides 'bogus' license keys. alleged 'keys'- made up bogus keys. They snag people in with super cheap price. Do not get fooled.
Anyone else who makes assertion that G2a is 'legit' is just sadly mistaken."
Agreed! G2a is an untrustworthy bad actor. They have borderline and straight up illegal practices, and it's amazing they haven't been shut down.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I was recently using a trial of AVG Internet Security. While it generally is very light, 360 Total Security and K7, to give two examples, are definitely lighter. It was stopping my VPN from connecting most of time, even when I disabled the firewall. I had issues with two different VPNs. Since uninstalling it, my VPN is working again. I don't know if my VPN would have worked if I'd been using the free version of AVG or Avast, which don't include a firewall.

M4RT1NE2

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 19, 2022
I'm not criticizing this program - but I don't have confidence. So many negative opinions about Avast are written in my country, e.g. that it spoils the computer more than protects it, etc. My original AVG is also sitting in a drawer where a 2-year license is wasted.

Reactions: L0ckJaw and Nevi
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.