App Review Avast Ultimate

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Product name
Avast Ultimate
Installation (rating)
5.00 star(s)
User interface (rating)
3.00 star(s)
Accessibility notes
The interface looks a bit like Bitdefender but more configuration options available. Every option is under buttons.
Performance (rating)
3.00 star(s)
Core Protection (rating)
4.00 star(s)
Proactive protection (rating)
5.00 star(s)
Additional Protection notes
0 day and old malware are instantly detected and quarantined.
Fast with detecting new malware.
Browser protection (rating)
4.00 star(s)
Positives
    • Many features
    • Low impact on system resources
    • Lightning fast scans
    • Highly configurable
    • Easy to use
    • Simple and non-intrusive
    • Ransomware protection
    • Strong and reliable protection
    • Detects or blocks in the wild malware
    • Consistently high test scores
    • Accurate results and reliable antivirus engine
    • Effective malicious URL blocking
    • Virus signatures are updated daily
    • Excellent scores in independent tests
    • Great value for money
    • Effective malware removal
    • Well designed, clear and easy to use interface
    • Multi-layer protection approach
Negatives
    • Can be costly to run
    • Advanced users may want more control
    • Clumsy or awkward interface (UI)
    • Noticeable negative system impact
    • Resource intensive tasks
    • Can slow down your browsing speed
    • Slows down browsing the Internet
    • Browser extension extras can be unreliable
    • Significant impact while playing games
Time spent using product
Reviewed over a 30-day period
Computer specs
Same as my specs here on the site.
Recommended for
  1. All types of users
  2. Inexperienced users
  3. Experienced users
Overall rating
3.00 star(s)

L0ckJaw

Level 19
Thread author
Verified
Content Creator
Well-known
Feb 17, 2018
After a long test run today.... my final decision is :

Its ok, the definitions are good and protection wise its good.
I dont like as usual the https injection , many AV use this, BD, Kaspersky, Avast... and i dislike it like hell.
On my system not that heavy, but compared to my other laptop which runs Norton360 Avast is not that smooth and fluid.
Their Antitrack really works, when enabled hardly any webpage can be loaded, so you are really safe. This option is really useless.
The VPN has a server in Malaysia ( for me really important ) but the server farm is really less, hardly any servers to choose from.

Clean up program not needed, i do this my self.

Recommend this program : No, not really.
Reloaded my image with Norton360 Premium.

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016

I dont like as usual the https injection , many AV use this, BD, Kaspersky, Avast... and i dislike it like hell.
On my system not that heavy, but compared to my other laptop which runs Norton360 Avast is not that smooth and fluid.
Their Antitrack really works, when enabled hardly any webpage can be loaded, so you are really safe. This option is really useless.
The VPN has a server in Malaysia ( for me really important ) but the server farm is really less, hardly any servers to choose from.

Should just try the Avast Premium Security without those modules you mentioned

Trooper

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 28, 2015
No, im not gonna use Avast, like i said, HTTPS injection and sluggish compared to other AV

You can customize the heck out of it though. Yeah Anti-track wow. Talk about web pages loading slowly. Not sure who thought this was a good idea. You can disable the HTTPS scanning, it should help. The choice is yours of course. But at least with Avast it is easy to disable or not install the features that you want.

Speaking of Avast. I miss RejZoR and his tweaks for Avast.

Last edited:

L0ckJaw

Level 19
Thread author
Verified
Content Creator
Well-known
Feb 17, 2018
You can customize the heck out of it though. Yeah Anti-track wow. Talk about web pages loading slowly. Not sure who thought this was a good idea. You can disable the HTTPS scanning, it should help. The choice is yours of course. But at least with Avast it is easy to disable or not install the features that you want.

Speaking of Avast. I miss RejZoR and his tweaks for Avast.
Glad you like it ! Keep that seller , always cheap licenses and official.

Sorrento

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Dec 7, 2021

Your last 6 dislikes for the program are just about the same, I've used Avast & installed it on several PC's including this one & found some slowdown but not huge, way better than Malwarebytes or Defender for example. For reasons you gave it does slow a VPN connection down which is my dislike - I got a 10 user 2 year licence from fleaBay for under £30 UK Pounds, almost a year ago with no issues (UK Seller) - I like the GUI, & the ability to choose modules on install - As with any AV it does need to run on your system for a while to evaluate it properly (I think) :):) (it was Avast Avast Premium that I use)

Last edited:

L0ckJaw

Level 19
Thread author
Verified
Content Creator
Well-known
Feb 17, 2018
Your last 6 dislikes for the program are just about the same, I've used Avast & installed it on several PC's including this one & found some slowdown but not huge, way better than Malwarebytes or Defender for example. For reasons you gave it does slow a VPN connection down which is my dislike - I got a 10 user 2 year licence from fleaBay for under £30 UK Pounds, almost a year ago with no issues (UK Seller) - I like the GUI, & the ability to choose modules on install - As with any AV it does need to run on your system for a while to evaluate it properly (I think) :):) (it was Avast Avast Premium that I use)
I test AV for fun. When i dont like something i tell. @Trooper bought a license for Avast ( i gave him a good seller ) so people are happy with my review.

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
I work as a preschool teacher in a nursery and even after coming home and checking some MalwareTips threads, I get the feeling that I am still facing kids that still belong in a nursery too. Why is it so hard to understand that opinions and experiences from different people can differ from each other? On some systems Avast might feel super light and on others it might be heavy as hell. Please stop feeling personally attacked, when someone has different, maybe even negative experiences with your favorite AV. Those are the experiences of @L0ckJaw and not yours. Respect his opinions like he respects yours. It’s really as easy as that… (y)

No offence to anyone tho :)

Last edited:

L0ckJaw

Level 19
Thread author
Verified
Content Creator
Well-known
Feb 17, 2018
I work as a preschool teacher in a nursery and even after coming home and checking some MalwareTips threads, I get the feeling that I am still facing kids that still belong in a nursery too. Why is it so hard to understand that opinions and experiences from different people can differ from each other? On some systems Avast might feel super light and on others it might be heavy as hell. Please stop feeling personally attacked, when someone has different, maybe even negative experiences with your favorite AV. Those are the experiences of @L0ckJaw and not yours. Respect his opinions like he respects yours. It’s really easy as that… (y)

No offence to anyone tho
I stop testing because of people like this. Whatever you do, its never good, thats why i use discord alot now to talk to other members of MWT ( testers,and real supporting members ) in person and avoid talking here.

Sorrento

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Dec 7, 2021
L0ckJaw gave a review which I respect, as I said I bought a 10 user licence for Avast so used it on many PC's, most not my own but fixed or upgraded - I agreed with this member on some things, & feel different on others - If I can't give an opinion without causing offence I see no point in bothering to post at all - Avast in not my favourite AV (I don't think I have one) but I have used it & it has a lot going for it - I understand others may feel differently but expect my opinion to be respected - Probably wont bother any more lest people burst into tears.

L0ckJaw

Level 19
Thread author
Verified
Content Creator
Well-known
Feb 17, 2018
L0ckJaw gave a review which I respect, as I said I bought a 10 user licence for Avast so used it on many PC's, most not my own but fixed or upgraded - I agreed with this member on some things, & feel different on others - If I can't give an opinion without causing offence I see no point in bothering to post at all - Avast in not my favourite AV (I don't think I have one) but I have used it & it has a lot going for it - I understand others may feel differently but expect my opinion to be respected - Probably wont bother any more lest people burst into tears.
Please don't cry........ :sick:

Reactions: M4RT1NE2

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
I wasn't talking about you exclusively, so don't worry. Still there are many people that don't respect other opinions and simply start insulting each other. It's always great to hear other opinions, but at the same time it would be great if different opinions are respected, without those unnecessary arguments. :)

Please don't cry........ :sick:
And that truly, truly makes me feel like in my nursery. o_O

L0ckJaw

Level 19
Thread author
Verified
Content Creator
Well-known
Feb 17, 2018
I wasn't talking about you exclusively, so don't worry. Still there are many people that don't respect other opinions and simply start insulting each other. It's always great to hear other opinions, but at the same time it would be great if different opinions are respected, without those unnecessary arguments. :)

And that truly, truly makes me feel like in my nursery. o_O
Hahahha so glad you feel at home/work or where ever....

Trooper

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 28, 2015
Agree with @SecureKongo I test av's as time allows and I have a licenses for multiple products. I keep them all for different reasons but I normally do not change av's often. No av is perfect for everyone like was stated earlier. Test them all imho and see which one works best for your personal setup.

Cheers.

M4RT1NE2

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 19, 2022
I stop testing because of people like this. Whatever you do, its never good, thats why i use discord alot now to talk to other members of MWT ( testers,and real supporting members ) in person and avoid talking here.

Heads up. Keep doing reviews. Not everyone will get along. That's why this is a forum - everyone has a different opinion. (y)

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
Software never behaves the same in two different computers. That is even more true with security software that goes deep in the OS. The same software may behave in diverse ways even on identical computers, depending on what else is installed. Sometimes even driver version may cause a difference in performance.

The only way to know how a software will behave is installing it. No test will be true for everybody.

In my computers, Avast surprised me and had a really good performance. It doesn't mean that @L0ckJaw review is wrong or bad. It's perfectly valid and serves as a warning that Avast is not light on all computers. Seriously, use the free version or a trial for a time before deciding.

KonradPL

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
May 1, 2018
In my experience Avast Ultimate - one of the best protection, no slowdowns and good price. Im using it and happy with it

Reactions: roger_m
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.