Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony Cole

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
May 11, 2014
Hi

I've just installed avast! Internet Security 2015 and see that it does not turn-off windows firewall. I think I remember reading an article which stated avast! works with windows firewall, is this true, or should I disable it??

Tony :)

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Tony!!:) I am smiling because using Avast! Premier which provides essentially the same protection as their free version, together with opting for Windows Firewall over Avast!'s, is precisely the set up we have on our Windows 8.1!:cool: We may have even read a similar, if not the same article, thread, or it may be quite possible we two have shared these same virtues of Windows Firewall before while drawing from a font within the halls o_O of Malware Tips!:D

Last edited:
Reactions: mercurial

Anupam

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2014
That's Strange, only "useful" feature in Premium version is the Firewall. If Avast firwall is Preferring Windows firewall instead, then whats the point of spending money on Avast IS !!

Now I am waiting for an AVAST Firewall review :D .

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Your welcome. I enjoy happy coincidences!:)
Is Avast! replacing your Kasperski or is this for a different computer? Either way, I hope it serves you well & trouble free!;)

That's Strange, only "useful" feature in Premium version is the Firewall. If Avast firwall is Preferring Windows firewall instead, then whats the point of spending money on Avast IS !!

Now I am waiting for an AVAST Firewall review :D .

Anupam, I'd debated whether I would fare better with Avast!'s Firewall. As I understand the main difference is that Windows Firewall operates on the kernal level, Avasts!'s AV protection is, for our needs, the useful core feature.;)

well...avast firewall is so so... furthermore, after version 6 they really offers to much crapware...router protection!!!...does they collect router passwords :confused:...no thanks

This is the first time (..since Window 98 :rolleyes:) that we have opted for Avast! on one of our systems, and yet considering the great commotion about Avast!'s potentially spying, well, isn't this another reinforcement to use Windows (Firewall)? ..and to reset our browsers often!:p

Reactions: mercurial and Ali80

Ali80

Level 5
Verified
Nov 13, 2014
This is the first time (..that is, since Window 98 :p) We've used Avast! on one of our systems, and yet considering the great commotion about Avast!'s potentially spying, well, isn't this another reinforcement to use Windows (Firewall)? ..and to reset our browsers often!:p

Yes, of course :D Windows firewall (Public Network - if you do not use Remote Features) and yes @Cats-4_Owners-2 browser reset is my monthly task after every windows update :) If you use IE11 consider to disable SSL 3.0...it has vulnerability :D

mercurial

Level 6
Oct 3, 2012
Well i seem to have read it somewhere as well but i can't find it, is Avast really just using Windows Firewall or is it still using it's own firewall component? I know for a fact that 360 security uses Windows' s firewall and dropped it's own firewall module.

Reactions: Ali80

Ali80

Level 5
Verified
Nov 13, 2014
Well i seem to have read it somewhere as well but i can't find it, is Avast really just using Windows Firewall or is it still using it's own firewall component? I know for a fact that 360 security uses Windows' s firewall and dropped it's own firewall module.
Avast Premier 2015 and Avast Internet Security 2015 include a fully integrated firewall which can be controlled directly from the Avast user interface.

The Avast Firewall monitors all communication between your computer and the outside world and blocks unauthorized communication based on a number of 'Allow' and 'Deny' rules. In this way, the firewall can prevent sensitive data from leaving your computer and can also block attempted intrusions by external hackers.

You can also set the application rules governing the network and Internet communication for specific software applications. The firewall will then follow these rules whenever a particular application tries to establish a connection to the Internet or with another network.
From Avast website

mercurial

Level 6
Oct 3, 2012
Avast Premier 2015 and Avast Internet Security 2015 include a fully integrated firewall which can be controlled directly from the Avast user interface.

The Avast Firewall monitors all communication between your computer and the outside world and blocks unauthorized communication based on a number of 'Allow' and 'Deny' rules. In this way, the firewall can prevent sensitive data from leaving your computer and can also block attempted intrusions by external hackers.

You can also set the application rules governing the network and Internet communication for specific software applications. The firewall will then follow these rules whenever a particular application tries to establish a connection to the Internet or with another network.
From Avast website

Aha! thought so, they had certain firewall components added as well, though their firewall is nothing revolutionary. Avast AV alone, paired with Win 8.1 firewall should be more then enough.

Anupam

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2014
One of MalwareTips member gifted me an Avast License. :)

I installed it on my other laptop and found the firewall is very complex. Frankly I did not like the firewall part.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
One of MalwareTips member gifted me an Avast License. :)

I installed it on my other laptop and found the firewall is very complex. Frankly I did not like the firewall part.
There are some guides on how to configure it.Once you do that you will be ok

Anupam

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2014
Its stated that Avast firewall is design to be silent with very few user interaction ;).

https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=146211.0

I agree. But sometimes I do not want some of the application those are whitelisted by Avast, communicate with it's server. So basically sometimes with two way firewall I block outgoing connections of some application. I did it with many firewalls like AVG, Ad-Aware but with Avast it's tough to have a custom list. Sometimes I want to make my own decision rather than giving full control to the Security Suite :p.

After trying multiple firewall right now I am quite satisfied with GlassWire firewall :)

Reactions: Kardo Kristal

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
well...avast firewall is so so... furthermore, after version 6 they really offers to much crapware...router protection!!!...does they collect router passwords :confused:...no thanks

Good point! Avast collects a bit too much data from it's users, so I'd not be surprised here if they have all the router info etc. :eek:

Don't routers have their own firewall built in ? :confused:

PrMi

Level 3
Verified
Aug 25, 2014
I disabled the Windows firewall while using Avast!. But it's your choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.