Avast's confident update sends cybersecurity firm to top of FTSE

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Thread author
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Cybersecurity firm Avast (AVST.L) said it had made a good start to the year, with organic revenue rising 10.4% in the first quarter, and forecast revenue growth at the top end of its 6-8% range, sending its shares to the top of the FTSE on Tuesday.

Chief Executive Ondrej Vlcek said there was continued demand for the London-listed company's security, privacy and performance products, and he looked forward to the rest of the year with confidence.

Analysts at UBS said the continuing strong top line momentum, increase in the guidance and especially the strong cash flow should be well-received by the market.
Read the original article here

Nagisa

Level 7
Verified
Jul 19, 2018
I don't quite understand why Avast is known like as it's the only company that do data harvesting. Maybe I'm underestimating the case but many company already does it directly or indirectly.

1619079197853.png

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
I don't quite understand why Avast is known like as it's the only company that do data harvesting. Maybe I'm underestimating the case but many company already does it directly or indirectly.

View attachment 257214

Avast diid it on the sly..Read this article

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015

View attachment 257214

Because they used to own a company named Jumpshot which would analyze and sell browsing data gathered through Avast's products. After landing in hot water, Avast quickly terminated the company. Though, it's worth mentioning that data collection in Avast was always opt-in, instead opt-out. They literally asked you during installation if you want to participate in data collection program.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Because they used to own a company named Jumpshot which would analyze and sell browsing data gathered through Avast's products. After landing in hot water, Avast quickly terminated the company. Though, it's worth mentioning that data collection in Avast was always opt-in, instead opt-out. They literally asked you during installation if you want to participate in data collection program.

They even wrote a blog about it when they started the process and noted how to opt out, in like 2014. Although, like everything with AVAST, it was turned on by default.

LiquidExploit

Level 1
Nov 3, 2017
A lot of people say they did it deceptively or without explicitly telling users, but I'm confused because from my experience, this was always one of the first things to pop up when installing Avast:
avast-data-sharing.jpg
I mean, that seems pretty transparent to me, lol. And I'm from the U.S., we don't have particularly strict data privacy laws here. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited by a moderator:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
A lot of people say they did it deceptively or without explicitly telling users, but I'm confused because from my experience, this was always one of the first things to pop up when installing Avast:
View attachment 257698
I mean, that seems pretty transparent to me, lol. And I'm from the U.S., we don't have particularly strict data privacy laws here. 🤷‍♂️
How old is the screenshot of that window and program version?

Reactions: Cortex

LiquidExploit

Level 1
Nov 3, 2017
How old is the screenshot of that window and program version?
I looked into it further and I think the consent screen in *that* form came around late 2019 or early 2020. I think Avast put it up to try and quell some of the backlash they were getting before deciding to just end Jumpshot altogether.

Avast has informed the user of their data collection as early as 2015

2015 ver.jpg

But... from 2015-2019 their explanation of what data they used was pretty vague, and users were opted in automatically. I definitely see the issue with that, they should've provided an opt-out on install from the very beginning, so backlash for that is well deserved.

Last edited by a moderator:

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
Yeah, but then, again, they still informed you about the data collection. They even asked you to read carefully. Back in 2015, everything was opt-out; now are different times.

Reactions: Nevi and blackice

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.