Status
Not open for further replies.

3link9

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
So which do you like better?

I like both products but I would go with Avast in most cases. I don't really like Avast's Zero Day protection... it failed terribly in my test but its still good for free, I praise its shields highly.
I really like AVG's ID-Privacy protection but it can be heavy and removal can be annoying. I like its Paid product a little bit more than Avast's Paid but in terms of free, Avast.

Thats just my opinion.... so also include if you have used/Tested both Paid and free and include which you like better.

ex: Free: Avast IS/Pro Paid: AVG IS.

Z

ZeroDay

Between the two current free oferrings from both vendors I'd have to choose AVG. I just think Avast has slipped a lil to far as of late.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
I would have to choose Avast, because of what it has to offer, compared to AVG. Plus most people I think now a days mostly use Avast free.

win7holic

Apr 20, 2011
I chose Avast. Because, their offers alot features even for free version, and AVG almost also like that.
but, ram usage and many processes it makes people won't use it anymore. between avast and AVG has pros and cons.

no one perfect as I say before.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
3link9 said:
So which do you like better?

I like both products but I would go with Avast any day! But I don't really like Avast's Zero Day protection... it failed terribly in my test but its still good for free, I praise its shields highly.
I really like AVG's Privacy protection but it can be heavy and removal can be annoying. I like its Paid product a little bit more than Avast's Paid but in terms of free, Avast.

Thats just my opinion.... so also include if you have used/Tested both Paid and free and include which you like better.

ex: Free: Avast IS/Pro Paid: AVG IS.

Both products are good, but I prefer Avast because it has better shields and is much lighter.
Zero-day malware infections are extremely rare if you watch what you download and which websites you visit. Zero-day infections require users to download and install them manually, they usually don't use vulnerabilities to infect systems. Just a user actions will protect you against zero-day malware until the AV's add them to their database. Also be aware that most zero-day malwares are just rogue security products and other rogue products they usually don't cause much damage, if any at all. They are more of an annoyance, mess with your system settings, display rogue notifications, disable some system features, etc. Usually don't delete files or cause system corruption.

Some of my customers had rogueware running on their system for months and still use their systems everyday. They would just keep closing the rogue notifications like it was a normal thing.

Thanks.:D

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
I usually tend to recommend Avast! to my customers and they've never returned back complaining of it. Avast! offers more protection features than AVG offers but that doesn't mean that AVG is a bad Antivirus. AVG's detection rates are much better with the latest release but it still goes down to many processes and that's not my cup of tea.

House_maniac

Level 1
Sep 21, 2011
i was an avast fan before was using it before i switch to comodo, i must say avg is much better than avast now,avast is only light but in terms of detection and oday malware avg is better :)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Avast is a no brainer.

AVG still requires user interaction.

AVG has more processes than Avast's but are still considerably low usage.

Avast likes to hog some of the CPU whilst updating. (Not sure if that has changed in the latest version).

AVG comes bundled with LinkScanner/Toolbar, and some other software that can be unlocked if you pay for it.

MDRockstar

Dec 14, 2011
Avast free have more features but more doesn't necessarily means better. Avast have a good web and files shield but some shields are useless to me.(chat shield, p2p shield, mail shield). The sandbox of avast is not working the way i would like to. Avast is however lighter and less resource usage.

AVG free 2012 have less feature but all the feature are working perfectly. Identity protection is far more better than avast behavoir shield for me.
AVG remove the threats better than avast.
The detection rate of the two is equal for me.
I prefer linkscanner over avast webrep(useless to me).

So my choice AVG free 2012.

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
AVAST! all the way because it kicks butt and does not ever bother me about anything. I used to use AVG a few years back, but I will never use it again after all that I have learned about its shortcomings. AVG always made my PC start up significantly slower too. That is something I will not tolerate from any piece of software no matter how vital it may be.

House_maniac

Level 1
Sep 21, 2011
ZOU1 said:
AVAST! all the way because it kicks butt and does not ever bother me about anything. I used to use AVG a few years back, but I will never use it again after all that I have learned about its shortcomings. AVG always made my PC start up significantly slower too. That is something I will not tolerate from any piece of software no matter how vital it may be.
thats why you are saying that i was an avast fan too but i did try avg 2012 and i can say its better than avast, software improves,look at comodo,norton,how they improved :) never be a die hard fan atleast try it then you can give a decent feedback ;)

Z

ZeroDay

thats why you are saying that i was an avast fan too but i did try avg 2012 and i can say its better than avast, software improves,look at comodo,norton,how they improved :) never be a die hard fan atleast try it then you can give a decent feedback ;)

:+1:

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
House_maniac said:
ZOU1 said:

I have tried AVG 2012 and I was really impressed with it. It was much lighter than previous versions but still not as light as Avast. Using Avast along with my own knowledge has kept me malware-free for about 6 years now, why change when what you have is doing its job? Other things that Avast has that AVG don't is a boot time scan and rootkit scan on system startup.

However AVG 2012 Free is an excellent AV now, one that I can proudly recommend to others.
I don't care for LinkScanner, all it appears to do is slow down web pages and makes me mad.
There much better browser add-ons that don't make your browser crawl like your using dial up connection.

AVG has did huge improvements because it doesn't hurt to give it a try and compare with your current AV, you may like it more because it is not like the old AVG everyone is used to.

Z

ZeroDay

I'm an Avira man myself but out of the two in this post as earlier stated I'd go with AVG the new version is rather good and using ones own safe browsing habits is still relevant but nowhere near as much as it used to be (website hijackings etc) malware can just as easily infect you from a trusted site nowadays. The key for me is to never ever feel to confident. Anyway back on topic lol The current offering from Avast is sinking fast and it's a shame, I just hope they get their act together in version 7, It's all well and good having lots of shields but if those shields combined aren't as good as on shield on it's own then your flogging a dead horse so to speak.

3link9

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
ZeroDay said:
The current offering from Avast is sinking fast and it's a shame

I have noticed that and I agree... I seen many tests on YT, Independent labs, etc. and My own testing against each other. I found that Avast has been slipping a bit, Its behavior shield isn't really working and its protection against Zero Days kinda sucks.

I think AVG is starting to step their game up a bit, in my Opinion I like its Link scanner and its ID protection. I also like it Anti-Rootkit scan and how you can control its Scanning priority. I think it suits very well, I can also say I can recommend AVG but there are better products out their like Kaspersky and Norton speaking of Paid. But in speaking as of free it all depends on the user and what he or she does. I still like AVAST but they need to make some fixes and some improvements.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
3link9 said:
ZeroDay said:
The current offering from Avast is sinking fast and it's a shame

I have noticed that and I agree... I seen many tests on YT, Independent labs, etc. and My own testing against each other. I found that Avast has been slipping a bit, Its behavior shield isn't really working and its protection against Zero Days kinda sucks.

I think AVG is starting to step their game up a bit, in my Opinion I like its Link scanner and its ID protection. I also like it Anti-Rootkit scan and how you can control its Scanning priority. I think it suits very well, I can also say I can recommend AVG but there are better products out their like Kaspersky and Norton speaking of Paid. But in speaking as of free it all depends on the user and what he or she does. I still like AVAST but they need to make some fixes and some improvements.

Tests and Youtude videos never tell the full story, so far I don't see any users complaining about Avast protection and most of my customers use Avast Free and none of them have had any issues.

Just remember AV tests only show how well an AV did on a set of samples, not how they would protect a single system and there really isn't such of a thing as a independent test. Youtude reviews are usually under 20 min long, that isn't enough time to come to a decision about any security product. It may give you some incites and show you how to use a product and how it defends against certain threats, but it can take months of using a product yourself to get a full review of it.

For example a Youtude review could give the impression that a solution is a total failure because it didn't detect any of the malware samples, but for a user who never comes across those samples that solution for that user would be a total success.

Any solution should only be rated on how well it protects you, not how well it does on a test or a review. I could care less if my solution didn't detect a malware that I will never encounter. I'm more worried about the malware that I will encounter and how my solution will deal with it.

Different solutions will protect users differently because of their computer habits.
I always say to users if your security solution is doing it job protecting you, then completely ignore tests and reviews because they are irrelevant to you.

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
Both are very good, but avast! has more features than AVG. I find AVG's detection rate to be higher than avast!.

I don't remember that AVG has failed me. ;) Switched back to AVG yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.