AVG Antivirus 2016 (paid version)

Product name
AVG Antivirus 2016
Pros
  • -cloud security.
    -lightweight, some processes for about 90 MB RAM
    -Turbo Scan: scan files times were reduced significantly thanks to a smart scan sequence
    -Game Mode: to avoid delays during play sessions, AVG automatically suspends scans and updates to ensure the necessary speed and make fluid the game.
    -Smart Scanner: scans will be performed only when your PC is idle. In fact, as soon as you touched a keyboard or mouse, the product will switch to low priority and abort the scan.
    -Online Shield, providing enhanced protection for any type of downloading and checking the web pages before opening, looking for malicious code, especially Javascript.
    -very easy to use
    -improved detection through better heuristics and NTFS data flow analysis...they said...
CONS
-free versions sell user data to third-party companies. This privacy issue is not for users who subscribed to the paid subscription: for this type of product, there is no distribution of any data to third parties, but still this is a bad point.
-AVG PC TuneUp bloatware, must pay it separately and useless product inserted in an antivirus.
-the cost of the license does not justify the extra features (online shield, data safe and more frequent updates)
-link protection and antiphishing inaccurate in my short test.
BOTTOM LINE
AVG 2016 looks like in previous versions, a classic antivirus: its basic features are those to block viruses, spyware, and malware, mail and web protection.
L

LabZero

Thread author
The highlight of AVG is undoubtedly the ease of use, better than the competitors, and lightness and speed. As we have seen in the main features, AVG is developed to guarantee, in addition to basic protection, fluidity to the PC, using it without annoying blocking caused by scans or other.
Unfortunately, as I said above the privacy policy of the free version, has a negative effect around the image of the product.
I did, as usual, a small detection test with 10 fresh samples (mix trojan/adware) and the result 5/10, this could mean little because the tests should be done with thousands of malware but ... feel free to think and comment.

Some screenshots (UI and detections)

Cattura.PNG

Cattura2.PNG

Cattura3.PNG

comparing versions

Cattura4.PNG

Thanks everyone for reading this review :)

omidomi

Level 71
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014
Good test bro thanks for sharing it
i accept with this part: "-free versions sell user data to third-party companies. This privacy issue is not for users who subscribed to the paid subscription: for this type of product, there is no distribution of any data to third parties, but still this is a bad point." :D
i said dose we can trust a company who sell users data? :rolleyes:
if they want earn money , they may sell paid users data's also :D
if they want earn money from their products why they do't removed free product?!
if their free product putting pressure on their economic and they want earn money why they continue :p

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Does your 3 star rating affect both AVG Antivirus and Internet Security versions, since your title doesn't specify which paid version?

Reactions: Rishi
L

LabZero

Thread author
Does your 3 star rating affect both AVG Antivirus and Internet Security versions, since your title doesn't specify which paid version?
It is intended for the paid version which they simply call AVG Antivirus 2016 (edited).
AVG Internet Security includes firewall and other features (comparing versions) and it would need another test.

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
Good test bro thanks for sharing it
i accept with this part: "-free versions sell user data to third-party companies. This privacy issue is not for users who subscribed to the paid subscription: for this type of product, there is no distribution of any data to third parties, but still this is a bad point." :D
i said dose we can trust a company who sell users data? :rolleyes:
if they want earn money , they may sell paid users data's also :D
if they want earn money from their products why they do't removed free product?!
if their free product putting pressure on their economic and they want earn money why they continue :p

If i remember correctly AVG opened up their HQ here in the Netherlands when they gave a press conference.
Some reporter of BOF (Bits of freedom) or some similar reporter asked them about their free services and the "need" to sell user data.
Nothing is for free and every single free AV will use your data more or less and AVG is no different.
Supporting, maintaining and so on of a free product which is riding on the back of a paid version has never been a good marketing strategy since it can potential hurt their paid versions and services.
Hence why many AV brands will use your data which generates additional revenue for them, but it keeps your product sort of free.

@Klipsh
Nice review dude.

omidomi

Level 71
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014
If i remember correctly AVG opened up their HQ here in the Netherlands when they gave a press conference.
Some reporter of BOF (Bits of freedom) or some similar reporter asked them about their free services and the "need" to sell user data.
Nothing is for free and every single free AV will use your data more or less and AVG is no different.
Supporting, maintaining and so on of a free product which is riding on the back of a paid version has never been a good marketing strategy since it can potential hurt their paid versions and services.
Hence why many AV brands will use your data which generates additional revenue for them, but it keeps your product sort of free.

@Klipsh
Nice review dude.
AVG work with Limeware Limeware work with which company? :D
i know whats u mean but i said they sell our data to who?!
NSA?
:D
selling data to advertisment company not bad selling data to security agency is bad :)

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
Doesn't Avira and Panda use the pop-up add method, without browser data sellings ?

Behold Eck

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 22, 2014
As Nico stated they all probably use customer data for various reasons so maybe AVG is just being more honest than most by saying that they sell on user data ?

Regards Eck:)

Reactions: JakeXPMan

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.