Serious Discussion AVG community has become a playing field with scammers.

AVG
20 Replies 2,996 Views

nickstar1

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
I was browsing the AVG forums on my account when I noticed a newly created profile attempting to impersonate official staff. Days have passed since I reported the account, yet it remains active. This raises concerns about moderation and oversight. GenDigital should ensure that its forums are properly monitored, as situations like this are less likely to occur on well-managed platforms. The continued presence of such accounts may put users at risk, especially if scammers are attempting to gather information for fraudulent purposes.

This is an example of the account I reported and warned others about: Chat


Screenshot 2026-04-19 143144.pngScreenshot 2026-04-19 143204.png
 
That first picture alone is already a huge red flag that the admins and moderators need to deal with. :rolleyes:


Although the Avast/AVG engine remains highly effective, it appears the company has significantly reduced its staff and is now trying to automate much of its operations. However, AI doesn’t seem ready to handle this at such a large scale just yet. The forums, in particular, feel largely unmoderated, with little presence from admins or moderators. In contrast, on platforms like Malwarebytes or Kaspersky forums, an account like this likely would have been banned quickly or prevented from posting in the first place. As you can see i flagged the post as illegal and it's still up. 😬😬
 
I appreciate how we can now use AI to push back against scammers. It’s become incredibly easy to generate detailed, well-written responses that can disrupt their schemes and waste their time. Honestly, it almost feels effortless something that used to take real time and energy can now be done in seconds. For example, that entire post was created with AI and written in just a few seconds.
 
AVG will eventually be retired.
I don’t believe that will happen. As of 2026, they have over 200 million users, and it doesn’t really cost GenDigital much to keep it going they just hire a company to re-skin the GUI, and that’s it. Maybe in the distant future they might make changes, but not right now. Switching things up for 200 million users would upset a lot of people who love the software. I just don't see them wanting to just off avg.
 
I don’t believe that will happen. As of 2026, they have over 200 million users, and it doesn’t really cost GenDigital much to keep it going they just hire a company to re-skin the GUI, and that’s it. Maybe in the distant future they might make changes, but not right now. Switching things up for 200 million users would upset a lot of people who love the software. I just don't see them wanting to just off avg.
Could you please share a link to this 200M number?
 
Leaving much of the moderation to AI is mistake number two in my opinion. AI can certainly be useful on a forum, like BOT. But a forum needs human moderators and Admins.
Some of us complained on the F-Secure forum due to the lack of response for about 5-6 months last year into the beginning of this year. They have been more responsive lately with real Mod and Employee posts.

They haven’t left anything to AI, the Avira community was the same a few years ago.

They have just abandoned the community.

That’s the truth.
Especially as was posted here.
 

Recently browsing

Members who viewed this thread in the last 5 minutes

Back
Top