Advice Request AVG Firewall vs Avast Firewall

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Templarware

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 13, 2021
In AVG Internet Security is called "Enhanced Firewall" and in Avast only "Firewall".
I've read in an article review that AVG Internet Security's firewall is different from Avast's, it has something that still comes from the time before AVG was acquired by Avast, but it wasn't clear. So, what is the difference between the firewalls of AVG IS and Avast premiun?

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
In AVG Internet Security is called "Enhanced Firewall" and in Avast only "Firewall".
I've read in an article review that AVG Internet Security's firewall is different from Avast's, it has something that still comes from the time before AVG was acquired by Avast, but it wasn't clear. So, what is the difference between the firewalls of AVG IS and Avast premiun?
I could be wrong so don't quote me but from what I recall AVG has true IPS functionality that Avast lacks.However for all intents and purposes you can't go wrong with either.

Templarware

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 13, 2021
I could be wrong so don't quote me but from what I recall AVG has true IPS functionality that Avast lacks.However for all intents and purposes you can't go wrong with either.
It's strange how I'm unable to find out through google search.

Reactions: JB007

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
It is the same product, just different UIs, marketing and regional aspects.

Ps: Avast Premium Security has Automatic Software Updater built-in while AVG does not.

Templarware

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 13, 2021
It is the same product, just different UIs, marketing and regional aspects.

Ps: Avast Premium Security has Automatic Software Updater built-in while AVG does not.
There are one or two more feature differences, they're not exactly the same product. Maybe 95% the same. One of those is the firewall, I've at least checked that AVG has settings in the firewall which Avast doesn't.

Last edited:
Reactions: JB007 and Zartarra

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
There are one or two more feature differences, they're not exactly the same product. Maybe 95% the same. One of those is the firewall, I've at least checked that AVG has settings in the firewall which Avast doesn't.
They are the same product, with identical feature set, drivers and protection level, those settings are just a UI difference like I mentioned before.

Reasons for that? Marketing and regional targets, but the core is the same.

Try geek:area, maybe it is just a hidden setting for whatever reason.

Templarware

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 13, 2021
It's not just UI, if you pay attention, there are little things, even if very few.
Then, they distribute features differently through their versions Free, Internet Security, Premium and Ultimate. So if you're choosing you really need to look for what each one has.

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
It's not just UI, if you pay attention, there are little things, even if very few.
Then, they distribute features differently through their versions Free, Internet Security, Premium and Ultimate. So if you're choosing you really need to look for what each one has.

But the product is the same, like I said before and repeating myself again it is "just different UIs, marketing and regional aspects".

So lets go back to the question of the thread? Is there any difference between AVG Firewall and Avast firewall? No, there isnt, the end.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.