Solved AVG Free saying subscription ends tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spartan

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Apr 15, 2019
I installed AVG Free for someone a couple of weeks ago. Today he contacted me saying its saying subscription will expire tomorrow and if he should pay? I said no! So I logged in to his computer and at first I was thinking he might have accidentally chosen the free trial for the paid version but it showed AVG Free in the title bar so that as not the case.

I Googled this and people suggested simply uninstalling then reinstalling AVG free so I uninstalled it then rebooted, then I ran AVGClear.exe to get rid of leftovers then rebooted again and reinstalled AVG Free but again, it was showing, subscription expires in 1 day, you will no longer be protected.

What gives?

partha_roy

Level 3
Well-known
Oct 16, 2022
Looks by design although not quite sure why they designed the free version to have an expiry date when it is supposed to be free forever. See if this step highlighted below helps

1700292590135.png

Sourced from AVG Free Version Ending?? | AVG

F

ForgottenSeer 97327

:) That is how freemium model works. They try to convert you from free rider to paying user.
@Spartan Easiest way to prevent this is to create gmail account (e.g. HappyAVGuserNr1@gmail.com) and register this account as free user at AVG (or Avast) and use/connect that account into the AVG program on your acquaintance PC. This way you will be able to check from time to time remotely (siging in that AVG account via the internet) on the AVG installation. Because of the freemium model, the free users will always get some upsell messages/promotions to/for the paid version.

Reactions: Nevi

Spartan

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Apr 15, 2019
:) That is how freemium model works. They try to convert you from free rider to paying user.
@Spartan Easiest way to prevent this is to create gmail account (e.g. HappyAVGuserNr1@gmail.com) and register this account as free user at AVG (or Avast) and use/connect that account into the AVG program on your acquaintance PC. This way you will be able to check from time to time remotely (siging in that AVG account via the internet) on the AVG installation. Because of the freemium model, the free users will always get some upsell messages/promotions to/for the paid version.
but I recall Avast Free is Free, they try to upsell you on higher suites but not a message saying your subscription expires tomorrow as if you installed a demo

partha_roy

Level 3
Well-known
Oct 16, 2022
AVG Free does upsell by advertising their firewall and other features reserved for higher tier suites, which is OK, but having an expiration date for a free product is misleading to me, when we all know that it will not expire

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Looks by design although not quite sure why they designed the free version to have an expiry date when it is supposed to be free forever.
To be aware of the number of active subscribers, not just active users, who could use one license for multiple devices. Some people also use it offline with offline updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.