Advice Request AVG Free vs Paid

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Victor M

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 3, 2022
Hi,

I just installed AVG Free and disregarded their free trial of the paid version. I closed the dialog asking a credit card. In the free version, it lists 3 things that the paid version has: Hacker, Privacy and Payment. But what does each do exactly? I don't need them to turn off remote desktop as I did it myself in Gpedit. (I use MS Win11 Security Baseline) Besides, hackers are smart enough to bypass a stupid AV. I have AdBlock plus in my browser, and my browser uses Strict mode which discards trackers. I don't know what Payments does.

What I really only wanted AVG for is their malware engine. (along with it's cloud smarts). It scored 100% detection rate in AV-Comparative's recent October 2022 test. Is the paid version really worth it?

Last edited:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I closed the dialog asking a credit card. In the free version, it lists 3 things that the paid version has: Hacker, Privacy and Payment. But what does each do exactly?
You don't need them.

Your Password Manager (ie. Bitwarden, 1Password, LastPass) and Browser (ie. Edge, Firefox) may be able to cover some of the privacy and payment features, without the need to upgrade AVG.

"Hacker Protection"
  • Two-way Firewall
  • Anti-ransomware
  • ??
"Privacy Protection"
  • Webcam blocker
  • File deletion
  • Email/Password leak notifications
Use this instead: https://haveibeenpwned.com/

"Payment Protection"
  • Typo-squatting protection

Screenshot 2022-10-19 at 14.44.26.png
Source: AVG Internet Security Software | Online Protection | Free Trial

• +Reputation
Reactions: MASOUD and Jack

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
Hello,

The three features that you mentioned in the paid version of AVG are Hacker, Privacy, and Payment. Here's what each feature does:

1. Hacker: This feature provides an additional layer of protection against hackers and cybercriminals. It helps to safeguard your device from unauthorized access and also prevents hackers from stealing your sensitive information.

2. Privacy: This feature helps to protect your online privacy by blocking tracking scripts, cookies, and other techniques used by companies to track your online activities. It also allows you to browse the web anonymously and securely.

3. Payment: This feature provides protection against online payment fraud, phishing scams, and other forms of cybercrime that target your financial information. It helps to keep your banking details secure and protects you from financial fraud.

Whether the paid version of AVG is worth it depends on your specific needs and priorities. If you're only looking for malware detection, then the free version should suffice. However, if you want additional features such as hacker protection, privacy protection, and payment protection, then the paid version may be worth considering.

Ultimately, the decision to upgrade to the paid version of AVG comes down to whether you're willing to pay for additional features and protection beyond the basic malware detection provided by the free version.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.