Advice Request What is the real difference between AVG and Avast?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Kiss

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 6, 2021
Hi everyone, I always liked AVG more than Avast, I would like to ask users who use it these days if it is good in protection and performance, and what is the real difference between AVG and Avast? Is there a difference in protection or are they the same?

Shadowra

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
The protection is the same whether it is AVG or Avast.

Avast has more modules, even more with its version One. But I find it a gas factory from time to time and for me it has lost its soul as a simple antivirus for beginners.

AVG has an interface that is for me a little old-fashioned, but it still does the job. Less modules, so lighter.

As for the aggressions they make to push to the paid version, both do it very well... Even if AVG does it less often.

broughie

Level 2
Verified
Sep 11, 2013
Having tried both AVG free and Avast I much prefer Avast for the important security extras that AVG lacks . First Bank Mode which I use for banking & shopping . It is a virtual desktop with anti keylogger, anti screen logger and anti clipboard logger protection . Also Avast free has a firewall which AVG free doesnt together with a Hardened mode for anti exe protection, again not featured in Avg. For me Avast is light and fast and occasional upgrade prompts are easily ignored.

Mystic

Level 4
Verified
Aug 25, 2022
Having tried both AVG free and Avast I much prefer Avast for the important security extras that AVG lacks . First Bank Mode which I use for banking & shopping . It is a virtual desktop with anti keylogger, anti screen logger and anti clipboard logger protection . Also Avast free has a firewall which AVG free doesnt together with a Hardened mode for anti exe protection, again not featured in Avg. For me Avast is light and fast and occasional upgrade prompts are easily ignored.
Isn't Banking Mode Available in Avast Secure Browser?

For me, there is not way I'd ever use Avast for it is a shareware. AVG on the other hand is less intrusive. I have AVG Ultimate installed on my family's devices with Hardened Mode enabled. There are numerous deals on AVG Ultimate. I got mine for two year 10 devices for $20. So, running the free version is not needed.

broughie

Level 2
Verified
Sep 11, 2013
Mystic said
"Isn't Banking Mode Available in Avast Secure Browser?"
Yes but its an option only available if Avast free AV or Premium installed , it is not available for AVG free , with which the like for like comparison was made
Likewise hardened mode is available in Avast free not Avg free. I prefer Avast free but each to their own opinion

monkeylove

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 9, 2014
Popups for upgrades are showing up for the free version (not Avast One Essentials, which had similar scores as Windows Security, if not lower). Everything is set to game and silent mode, with any notifications disabled.

I switched to AVG free to see what happens; its bench scores are slightly higher than AO. I'll see what happens because webpages appear to load faster with it than with Avast. Also, for now I see no popups.

Finally, the highest scores were from Kaspersky Free, but when I load multiple pages in browsers half don't complete (there's a similar problem with Bitdefender Free). Also, popups for upgrades still show up even after I disable any notifications related to it.

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
Hi! Both AVG and Avast are popular and effective antivirus programs, so deciding between them can be tough. In terms of protection, both programs are equipped with powerful security features to safeguard your privacy online, prevent attacks from malware, viruses, and phishing.

One of the key differences between AVG and Avast is in their user interfaces. AVG may be easier to use for new users, while Avast may take some time getting used to.

Another difference is the additional features offered in both programs. While both programs offer basic features like real-time protection, email protection, and browsing protection, Avast includes more advanced features such as a built-in firewall, ransomware protection, and a sandbox to keep questionable software isolated from your system.

Finally, regarding performance, both programs may have similar system impacts, but Avast can be less draining on system resources, especially when it comes to scanning.

Overall, both AVG and Avast are excellent options for antivirus protection, and the difference between them is mostly in the user interface and additional features. It all comes down to personal preference and what features you consider important.

F

ForgottenSeer 100397

I gave the most recent stable versions of Avast Free and AVG Free a try. They both provide the same fundamental protection. I set up File, Behavior, and Firewall.

Avast caused me a problem, but AVG didn't.
Avast File Shield caught the PUP sample from the AMTSO website. I kept trying to restart the broken download with my download manager. The Avast FS kept impeding the PUP sample download a few times, then the Avast BS identified the download manager as a risk and deleted it. I could replicate the behavior.

Blocking outgoing connections to "avastui" (Avast) and "AVGUI" (AVG) is still an effective way to stop Avast and AVG upgrades and other ads.

Spartan

Level 3
Verified
Apr 15, 2019
The protection is the same whether it is AVG or Avast.

Avast has more modules, even more with its version One. But I find it a gas factory from time to time and for me it has lost its soul as a simple antivirus for beginners.

AVG has an interface that is for me a little old-fashioned, but it still does the job. Less modules, so lighter.

As for the aggressions they make to push to the paid version, both do it very well... Even if AVG does it less often.
you say AVG has less modules? can you elaborate please?

Reactions: JB007

monkeylove

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 9, 2014
Update: I found out that I might have had a problem with Adguard for Windows desktop. Even after I tried excluding it in the AV and vice versa, there were still timeouts, etc., when loading multiple pages. The problem disappears only when I use browser addons.

Jengo

Level 6
Well-known
Nov 9, 2022
Update: I found out that I might have had a problem with Adguard for Windows desktop. Even after I tried excluding it in the AV and vice versa, there were still timeouts, etc., when loading multiple pages. The problem disappears only when I use browser addons.
Adguard is not Avast or AVG. i think you are in the wrong topic.

Reactions: JB007

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.