AVG TuneUp for PC - Do you like it or use it?

Have you tried AVG TuneUp for PC?

• Yes

Votes: 13 24.5%
  • No

Votes: 17 32.1%
  • I'll give it a try

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't like system optimizers

Votes: 23 43.4%

• Total voters

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
Used it maybe 15 years ago during XP and Windows 7 days. These days it's been replaced by free tools like OOShutup 10, WPD, and various Windows debloated scripts. I honestly don't see a reason to pay for such utilities anymore, RAM shouldn't be an issue in modern PC's/Laptops and there are enough free programs to cover tweaking now.

Shadowra

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
Useless, dangerous and especially not recommended.
This kind of software will clean your machine whiter than white and can cause system errors if it deletes important registry keys....
I had already seen this with TuneUp Utilities and Glary a long time ago unfortunately.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
This kind of software will clean your machine whiter than white and can cause system errors if it deletes important registry keys....
I had already seen this with TuneUp Utilities and Glary a long time ago unfortunately.
I've never seen AVG TuneUp or TuneUp Utilities delete any valid registry keys in the 25 years I've been using it. It's actually one of very few registry cleaners that doesn't have issues with false positives. The registry cleaner in early versions of Glary Utilities had issues with false positives, even though it was often recommended as being safe. However current versions appear to be safe to use. It possible that there will be occasional false positives if you enable Deep Scan . But this is disabled by default.

Last edited:

VAR_123

Level 1
Verified
Dec 4, 2021
I tried TuneUpUtilities back before AVG purchased that company, and AVG should have kept same design and improved that product, but they destroyed it and much of its feel. I tried AVGTuneup also.
My suggestion is that they are not required now.
I only clean temp files manually and browser history(auto history wipe Add-on)

ItsReallyMe

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Dec 21, 2017
I am using Kerish Doctor

what you think about Kerish Doctor?

jerzy601

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 20, 2011
I use Kerish Doctor. It is very good software.
I've had this program for a long time and never had any problems with it. I work in the system and take care of it.
that is, install it and forget it and it will do everything by itself.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Somebody somewhere said the registry use b-trees and cleaning it produces very negligible results.
It is exceptionally rare for a computer to run faster after cleaning the registry and more than 99% of registry cleaners sometimes delete needed registry keys. But AVG TuneUp and Kerish Doctor do a lot more than just cleaning the registry. They also have safe registry cleaners which won't delete needed registry keys.

markstitovits

Level 2
Sep 13, 2022
Many people don't recommend system cleaners and optimizer. I think there's only a few good options. I never tried AVG's, but antivirus cleaners usually not a big deal. I recommend BleachBit, It cleans cache, prefetch, temp files, windows update files, database fragmentation, and many more. It has no registry cleaning nonsense. When it comes to registry cleaning, Geek uninstaller is a good option. After unistalling something with it, it will scan remains of the program inculding registry keys.

M4RT1NE2

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 19, 2022
Many people don't recommend system cleaners and optimizer. I think there's only a few good options. I never tried AVG's, but antivirus cleaners usually not a big deal. I recommend BleachBit, It cleans cache, prefetch, temp files, windows update files, database fragmentation, and many more. It has no registry cleaning nonsense. When it comes to registry cleaning, Geek uninstaller is a good option. After unistalling something with it, it will scan remains of the program inculding registry keys.
HiBit Uninstaller is better than Geek

EDIT:

BleachBit an excellent choice. My wife has it on her laptop and it works well.

Last edited:

Kuttz

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 9, 2015

Tune up utilities, system optimizers etc does no good if not harm to the system. I have gone above these Apps fake promises and theories and not using any third party maintenance apps in my system and I am not missing anything. These apps work more in the mind of the user than on the system. Placebo effect make things even more convincing.

If you want your system in good shape, regularly use Windows built in tools like Disk clean-up, Defragmenter, clearing unneeded system restore checkpoints etc and more importantly install only good reputed apps. One should also ensure the number of installation and uninstallation of apps kept as low as possible.

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 97327

Somebody somewhere said the registry use b-trees and cleaning it produces very negligible results.
Registry was the successor of the Windows 3 ini file and in the time we used snail speed single core CPU's and slow floppy disks, it could have make sense to clean up the ini files. You are right there are multiple ways to optimize registry access, but ..... some people just like to see something is cleaned. It makes them feel good.

Take for instance my garage. I don't use it as a garage, but as a workshop and shed to store things. Every year I cleanup my garage for unused stuff, but that does not make me or my car run faster. After spending a useless day of cleaning up my garage, the only person happy is my wife, when she counts the gardage bags and says: see that cleaned up a lot.

I think third-prty registry cleaners have the same impact on OS performance with current day multi-core CPU's, heaps of RAM memory and fast SSD's. But when it makes you feel good just pay for the license like you pay for all professional cleaning services. My reward is I am allowed to buy a a bottle of my favourite 5 year old Frysian Rye Wine (which is actually a sort of gin :) which tastes more like whiskey than like gin).

Last edited by a moderator:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.