Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Last time I tested immunet it was nowhere near Avira detection level. I've always thought that immunet was a terrible product detection wise perhaps it's changed but I certainly wouldn't say ClamAV is anywhere near Avira detection level.
immunet do have their own database, not only clamAV. I disabled clamAV and I still have pretty good results although it's not the best in terms of signatures

it's bad because it's purely sig-base, no proactive engine

I use it with CF because of good sig. and lightness

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
immunet do have their own database, not only clamAV. I disabled clamAV and I still have pretty good results although it's not the best in terms of signatures

it's bad because it's purely sig-base, no proactive engine

I use it with CF because of good sig. and lightness
I'm Glad to hear it. I really wish Avira would throw some money into building some good proactive modules.

zzz00m

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jun 10, 2017
I use Avira Pro for the AV signatures. Quit whining about the free version and man up with the paid version. I did a 3 year deal and with no regrets! On a modern computer, the bloat is not even noticeable. Layer it up with your other favorite security apps and you are all set!

Last edited by a moderator:

LanceMan

Oct 1, 2017
I don't use Immunet but do find it curious that ClamAV was one of the few that caught Ccleaner infection last year.

Mahesh Sudula

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 3, 2017
Good news! Long time seeing AVIRA with improvements:)
However the pic below is already present from so much time..Sadly no news / improvement in their BB
avira.png

D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

Sorry guys, no info can be published about Avira. Knocking at my door and warning. Avira team like lurkers, monitoring MalwareTips without helping it's customers when needed nor showing up to clear controversy that they purely relay on signature detection. I'm done with their rude attitude anyway and not listening to beta user suggestions. One security-bloat company less to care about. (y)

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
Sorry guys, no info can be published about Avira. Knocking at my door and warning. Avira team like lurkers, monitoring MalwareTips without helping it's customers when needed nor showing up to clear controversy that they purely relay on signature detection. I'm done with their rude attitude anyway and not listening to beta user suggestions. One security-bloat company less to care about. (y)
Have Avira seriously warned you regarding your above posts? That's absolutely ridiculous Avira team! I stopped Beta testing for them years ago when it became clear that Avira had zero interest in beta testers suggestions. It's sad really because Avira used to be my favourite AV, in fact Avira+CF was my setup on my main machine for a long time. I dropped Avira AV when I could see that they were falling way behind the competition absolutely zero innovation, it was a sad day for me, because, as I just mentioned I did really like the product. Avira have just remained stagnant for too long now. Look at how bad Norton was for years and even they completely re-wrote the product to improve it, Avira haven't even tried.

To read that they're warning you over silly little things just makes them look even worse.

D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

Have Avira seriously warned you regarding your above posts?
Yes, what's even more interesting is how did they find me, because I use different email there, details, etc. It's just proves they are watching over users back. Been in BETA almost 2 years, they indeed are stagnant and haven't done anything besides releasing half baked UI. Left their BETA about an hour ago, I don't need security company which tracks my steps online and doesn't listen to advices how to improve the product. It's all about money and they are continuing to develop unneeded additional software.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Avira are dbags.

So listen to this.. I used Avira longer than I ever used any AV, This was early 2000. I moved on after that. But a few years ago I purchased an unlimited license from a German Site for 3 years. Mid way through the license they converted it to ONE install license. When I called them on it, they said 'Oops, yes we changed it from unlimited installs to one user, one install.'. Their compensation was - 6 months additional time on the 1 user/1 install. I walked away and will never even glance in their direction again. I'd pay Heimdal for Thor Vigilance before I would use Avira for free.

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

Yes, what's even more interesting is how did they find me, because I use different email there, details, etc. It's just proves they are watching over users back. Been in BETA almost 2 years, they indeed are stagnant and haven't done anything besides releasing half baked UI. Left their BETA about an hour ago, I don't need security company which tracks my steps online and doesn't listen to advices how to improve the product. It's all about money and they are continuing to develop unneeded additional software.

It's quite sad that they stoop to that level (n)

Mahesh Sudula

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 3, 2017
Avira are dbags.

So listen to this.. I used Avira longer than I ever used any AV, This was early 2000. I moved on after that. But a few years ago I purchased an unlimited license from a German Site for 3 years. Mid way through the license they converted it to ONE install license. When I called them on it, they said 'Oops, yes we changed it from unlimited installs to one user, one install.'. Their compensation was - 6 months additional time on the 1 user/1 install. I walked away and will never even glance in their direction again. I'd pay Heimdal for Thor Vigilance before I would use Avira for free.
Hey , Avira is not that worst ..even now it is one of the oldest cyber security company out there
They know much better in depth than any other vendor..
Their heuristic technology (AHEAD)..is one
Of the finest technology I have ever come across..right from 2012-till date..he is the unique guy in that category..
Up2 date signatures..right from PUA to banking emotets
But just they can't build BB..that's it..so
APC may help to some part ..but when offline it is just dead when unknown threat acts
Even then I still love that red umbrella..their repair capability is also at the best..but a bit too much..)
AHEAD can't cope up with ransomwares,but except that it plays it's part as just as BB may be even more!!

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Maaaan I'm still pissed too. Can I just use Cylance with Syshardener and be done with it?

OSArmor+Syshardener maybe? But sure, you could use Cylance w/Quad9 DNS and Syshardener and probably be totally fine. But Heimdal even without Vigilance still provides plenty of benefit.

Reactions: rsonic and AtlBo

InnoScorpio

Level 1
Jul 9, 2018
Avira is the most overrated antivirus vendor IMO. The above average market share with those prestigious awards and test results from the marketing propaganda "professional" antivirus testing labs are only misleading to unsuspecting users giving them a false sense of security. Avira probably has the one of the highest number of malware infections and internal damage to computers from defective components like ProActiv (back in 2012), comparing to McAfee and Norton. Avira is just a risky product to use. I just cannot see on how someone will use Avira when there is no assurance that it would prevent sophisticated malware and ransomware from compromising a computer so easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.