Status
Not open for further replies.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
I still remember when I used to use Avira, was good. Hopefully in the next version that they bring out they will fix on issues that are there.

malwarekiller

Thread author
Mar 30, 2012
Stranger said:
Only 2 stars to avira
Man its not that bad

Honestly,I am not like other reviewers...i look at the ability of a product rather than its features..so far avira has failed the test for me...the big drawbacks are failing against unknown and nasty malware..:s

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Well did you do a test with today's malware or a couple of days ago?

If I remember correctly Avira has a very high Heuristics feature? because I remember reading somewhere that it has and it has not the best web protection.

malwarekiller

Thread author
Mar 30, 2012
the test was made on the same day when this review was written...i do know Thier Heuristics are good...but I do change some things in Avira and Avast when testing them against a pack of malware...but i dont touch heuristics at all...i leave it on medium..what i did change in avira was the threat categories...and what i change in avast is the packers and turn on scan for PUP since a lot of stuff is missed if this isnt turned on...everything else is left on defaults...

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Ahh, okay I see. Well Great review. Will have to give Avira ago again, or wait till the next version is out.

bitbizket

Level 3
Jul 26, 2011
malwarekiller said:
Stranger said:
Only 2 stars to avira
Man its not that bad

Honestly,I am not like other reviewers...i look at the ability of a product rather than its features..so far avira has failed the test for me...the big drawbacks are failing against unknown and nasty malware..:s

I agree with you. This has always been an issue with their ProActive which have been proven before. They are doing something to fix this.

Thanks for the review. :)

P

Plexx

I am still curious to see some of the bad points etc.

However, from a user who has not used Avira before point of view, when reading your review, there is not much base to backup your statements.

How did Avira fail the test on you, what kind of test, was the overall usability of the product that bad and why?
These are things that any person would ask when reading and to be honest I don't see the answers there.

Just my opinion.

malwarekiller

Thread author
Mar 30, 2012
In avira,

1.No feature to protect against malware it doesnt know about[running the malware inside pack after on-demand scan]... completely fails in defending just with Heuristics and signatures.

2.Let through nasty ransomware.

3.toolbar slows down browsing.

Prevention tests with links: 9/10[let through ransom malware] ,0-day test result: Fail cannot even give it 1% of result...avast 7 sandboxed many of unknown stuff i threw at it,On-demand test: 86% to 90%

P

Plexx

isnt there an option to install avira without the toolbar? I know someone here did it.

Honestly haven't explored Avira that much so I suppose that would be an interesting test

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
malwarekiller said:
3.toolbar slows down browsing.

Does the toolbar have an option where it blocks websites that are bad? Because I know that with Trend it does that.

Ibrad

Apr 29, 2011
If I remember correctly the toolbar does have malware url filtering connected to it but not 100% sure.

malwarekiller

Thread author
Mar 30, 2012
Yes! there is a option Not to install toolbar...but still many novice users will blindly install the toolbar

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
So it's sort of like Trend, it's Toolbar does do filtering. Personally if people that want extra protection, then they could install it. People that know what they are doing they might not have to install it.

Z

ZeroDay

malwarekiller said:
Yes! there is a option Not to install toolbar...but still many novice users will blindly install the toolbar

If I remember correctly the box for the toolbar on the Avira install is unchecked by default, therefore a user would have to move from the 'next' button to deliberately check the toolbar installation box.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
ZeroDay said:
If I remember correctly the box for the toolbar on the Avira install is unchecked by default, therefore a user would have to move from the 'next' button to deliberately check the toolbar installation box.

Hmm, well it should be ticked by default I think. Gives people that just want an AV some extra protection.

Z

ZeroDay

McLovin said:
ZeroDay said:

Hmm, well it should be ticked by default I think. Gives people that just want an AV some extra protection.

After all the outrage caused by the Avira Ask toolbar I can see why they left it as an opt in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.