Avira free 2012 Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Z

ZeroDay

malwarekiller said:
but on other side...the User is losing a lot of protection by the web guard.

I'm just stating that after the outrage caused by Avira offering a web guard just as long as the end user installed the ASK toolbar I can see why they left is as opt in. It was all over the net at the time people couldn't believe Avira had partnered with ASK.

Personally I wouldn't want The ASK tool bar installed on my machine. That's why the optional webguard box is unchecked during the install to offer users the choice. If the user wants the webguard he ticks the box simple as that. But the ASK tool bar is something I always remove if I see it present on friends/families machines.

Spirit

Level 2
May 17, 2012
Just Installed Avira Internet Security and tested it with malwares and its detection rate is better than kaspersky,norton and avast and computer is running superfast with all features enable excepth mailguard.

I would give it a 4.5/5.

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011
Behavioral detection not available in free version. Still Avira 2012 has some improvements. Lets wait for next version.

malwarekiller

Thread author
Mar 30, 2012
Stranger said:
Just Installed Avira Internet Security and tested it with malwares and its detection rate is better than kaspersky,norton and avast and computer is running superfast with all features enable excepth mailguard.

I would give it a 4.5/5.

It fails against unknown new nasties...thats the reason i downgraded it...I have test avast and avira and comodo with a ton of malware before and I see that both have almost the same detection rates as to what i see

Spirit

Level 2
May 17, 2012
malwarekiller said:
It fails against unknown new nasties...thats the reason i downgraded it...I have test avast and avira and comodo with a ton of malware before and I see that both have almost the same detection rates as to what i see

I have given it a try on my laptop and scanned new malware and old from it with high heuristic and it detectection is better than all most all av.

You can see in virus exchange I have post result with screenshot.
Avast detected 52 whereas avira detected 85 out of 89.
That is a quiet big difference

http://malwaretips.com/Thread-Malware-Pack-89-malware-samples

malwarekiller

Thread author
Mar 30, 2012
Thats a small amount...

i tested avast avira with 600 viruses...avira got 558/600 and avast got 557/600

no big deal...I like avira too..their sounds are great! very unique and the web filter alert is awesome! :p

Spirit

Level 2
May 17, 2012
malwarekiller said:
Thats a small amount...

no big deal...I like avira too..their sounds are great! very unique and the web filter alert is awesome! :p

tested avira,avast webroot with 319 samples in which avira detected 305 avast 198 and webroot 189.

Maybe avast with more features and cloud protection can able to protect its user but in malware detection and removal its way behind avira.

malwarekiller

Thread author
Mar 30, 2012
http://malwaretips.com/Thread-Malware-Pack-319-malware-samples

I get 93% with all packers and PUP on....as i said earlier without these settings on its useless testing avast against malware packs...this is the pack you tested right??

Spirit

Level 2
May 17, 2012
malwarekiller said:
http://malwaretips.com/Thread-Malware-Pack-319-malware-samples

I get 93% with all packers and PUP on....as i said earlier without these settings on its useless testing avast against malware packs...this is the pack you tested right??

i didn't test this pack otherwise i had posted result here.
I always scan avast and other av with their full potential and not by default scan ;)

malwarekiller

Thread author
Mar 30, 2012
Stranger said:
I always scan avast and other av with their full potential and not by default scan ;)

Can you send me or post the link to the malware pack please.. :p

Spirit

Level 2
May 17, 2012
malwarekiller said:
Stranger said:

Can you send me or post the link to the malware pack please.. :p

just wait i have to go back and search and provide you the link soon.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Like I thought, I don't agree with your ratings.

Personally Avira is a solid AV, lacks the "zero-day" component but we can see that even AVs with that, don't perform as well as expected.

They made the Web Filtering part with the toolbar, for a free product how else would they generate any revenue (I assume they make a little money from that, or am I wrong).

Web protection to filter out the bad sites, AV signatures to catch the bad files, Heuristics to assist. USB protection to prevent infections from external mediums.

Avira currently have the APC running in beta so we can help them out against future threats / and to new technologies for their products.

One last thing, I dislike alternate product recommendations during a review.

And just to point out this review goes off-topic talking about Avast, the product you recommended in this review.

Thanks. :D

malwarekiller said:
better choices are available like avast free

i yet can give it a 2 and half to 3 star i feel...

malwarekiller said:
Stranger said:

I would give it a 4.5/5.

malwarekiller said:
Thats a small amount...

Spirit

Level 2
May 17, 2012
Very Innovative words Earth.
I totally agree with Earth comparing other product in review is useless.
You cannot bash one product because you are fan or you have commitment for other products.

One thing I have learn and trying to learn from this forum and specially from Earth is that praise how much you can for your favorite software but don't bash the other product as different products have different features and capabilities.

I will again say Avira is not that bad or in fact very good product and I changed my Real time protection to Avira Internet Security Just now.:)

malwarekiller

Thread author
Mar 30, 2012
well if you dont like this review i am gonna go let this go off...since i have a other review on now soon. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.