Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
1635444854801.png

My Eset on the NCrypt file of Norton Crypto... (file recovered during the comparison)

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

I won't lie, this is quite disheartening....:(

They are slowly becoming what they are trying to protect us from. Furthermore, they are becoming even more bloated with even less security minded features. It's pretty bad when your major highlight for a new version of a security program is built- in crypto mining.😞 I am sure this will be added to AVG and Avast at some point as well. Sadly the security industry is like a bunch of sheep...once one does it, the majority eventually follows. I won't be surprised if we see this added to other products from other companies outside the Norton umbrella in the future...

ExecutiveOrder

Level 2
Sep 21, 2021
Honestly, that Game Booster is interesting. Really want to know how effective a security software which resides in Ring 0 implements way to boost gaming experience, unlike other simple program that simply kill unnecessary services (if possible).
By isolating non-essential apps to a single CPU core, it allows the rest of the CPUs to be allocated to your game for better performance.
Especially games that are sensitive to single-core performance but pretty sure performance gain won't really visible except by looking at three digit fps benchmark.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Well, in here seems to be in a little outraged bubble out of the mainstream, it seems. New York City just got has a new mayor and that mayor has stated he will be accepting his first three paychecks in coin. He intends to make NYC a crypto-friendly global hub. So this is sending a strong message to the mainstream.

According to my top secret sources, the reaction to the Eric Adams election at Norton HQ:

giphy.gif

monkeylove

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 9, 2014
I recently tried Avira Free given results in ShadowRa's tests, and I found it very light in terms of feel and benchmark. I also read that the company protects user's privacy.

However, I noticed that only real-time protection is provided for free. Is that good enough for anti-ransomware, and the addon (I use Firefox) for web protection?

Next, does it show popup ads, and if so can they be disabled?

Third, what news have you heard about Nortonization? Will users' privacy stil be protected, and do you think the free version will still be continued?

Anthony Qian

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 17, 2021
I recently tried Avira Free given results in ShadowRa's tests, and I found it very light in terms of feel and benchmark. I also read that the company protects user's privacy.

However, I noticed that only real-time protection is provided for free. Is that good enough for anti-ransomware, and the addon (I use Firefox) for web protection?

Next, does it show popup ads, and if so can they be disabled?

Third, what news have you heard about Nortonization? Will users' privacy stil be protected, and do you think the free version will still be continued?
Actually, Free version is enough. Paid version does have the so-called "ransomware protection" and Web protection. However, I personally don't think Avira's ransomware protection technology works, and Avira heavily relies on APC to detect and block new threats (including ransomware), according to my testing. APC is available in the Free version. If APC fails to detect malware, your PC is very very very likely to be infected. Avira basically does not have off-line behavior blocker.

does it show popup ads, and if so can they be disabled?
For Free version, no. But you will see in-product ads that cannot be disabled.

what news have you heard about Nortonization? Will users' privacy stil be protected, and do you think the free version will still be continued?
Nortonization here means the addition of Cryptomining feature, and it's nothing to do with the privacy protection.
Yes, freemium model will be kept.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.