Status
Not open for further replies.

Kate_L

in memoriam
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 21, 2014
I use Avast, it's very good. The downside is that on Windows 10 the NG is not ready. Avira is also good but it lacks 0-day protection, that is a big downside to me.

For paid security Kaspersky, ESET and Avast are in my top 3 :)

When it comes to Memory Usage / CPU depends on what PC do you have. On my PC (Windows 10, 64x) Avast uses between 25-30 Mb.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Avira is also good but it lacks 0-day protection
Avira Protection Cloud does have an early warning system (Avira Protection Cloud).
"Even when the user intends to execute a file containing new malware, it will first be checked by our Avira Protection Cloud for zero day threats." - AVIRA BLOG

Inb4: I never commented about the effectiveness Avira Protection Cloud against zero-day threats.

Kate_L

in memoriam
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 21, 2014
Avira Protection Cloud does have an early warning system (Avira Protection Cloud).
"Even when the user intends to execute a file containing new malware, it will first be checked by our Avira Protection Cloud for zero day threats." - AVIRA BLOG

Inb4: I never commented about the effectiveness Avira Protection Cloud against zero-day threats.
Looks like they improved since I last used, I will give it a try later.

Reactions: superboy123
D

Deleted member 2913

Checked the APC link by you.
It seems APC is just a kind of extended signs/heur & nothing much i.e just checks the files against signs/heur in the cloud.
Or some kinda advanced analyzer/sandbox analyze, etc.. is performed too?
Does it sends hashes of suspicious files or the whole executables, etc..?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
You'll need to do more research or ask Avira Support. I have no technical knowledge of how APC works.

"While activating the Protection Cloud the Avira application on your PC will send a digital fingerprint of an executable suspicious file (*.exe or *.dll) found on the PC direct to the Avira Protection Cloud. There, the fingerprint will be analyzed and an information status as clean or malware will be send back to the Avira application on the PC. If the file is classified as malware, the Avira application removes the threat." - AVIRA ANSWERS

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
In terms of features and other latest techniques to be use as for home usage and small business then go to Avast IS. More tweaks with different behaviour effectiveness plus optimum protection that equalize the overall program.

Meanwhile for Avira, they intended more on signatures and Cloud rather to add another backup option when everything are bypass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.