Not open for further replies.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Avira Blog - Avira Password Manager: No more awkward ‘forgot password’ moments - Avira Blog

Avira Password Manager - Get Avira Password Manager

The Avira Password Manager is available as of now as a free version and all premium features are free until March 2017.

The product can already be downloaded from the Avira website and app stores:

Read before you switch!

How does it compare to other password managers?

Avira Password Manager is rather bare bones right now. I mentioned already that it does not work on all sites, but that is probably true for all password managers with auto-fill functionality.

What weights more is that it does not support two-factor authentication and that it offers no option to add notes or additional data fields to the database. The latter means that you cannot add the answer to security questions to the password manager, nor any other form of note that you may require.

If you dig deeper, you will notice that it lacks features such as grouping, automatic clipboard erasing, or support for adding files to password entries (PGP signatures come to mind).

To be fair, not all users need these features but having them would certainly increase the appeal of the password manager.

gHacks Review | Link

Last edited:

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

Solarlynx

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 30, 2012
We are thinking about to implement this feature as well in a later version :)
Good move! Actually you should have started from this if you want people to trust you their passwords.

Yeah, and good luck, Avira! I like this company.

Last edited:
Reactions: MWTHelper

MWTHelper

From Avira
Verified
Developer
Oct 27, 2016
Will this get support for Windows 10 Mobile too?
Currently we focus on Android and iOS Apps, unfortunately the market share of Windows Phones is currently too low to be considered.

Last edited:
Reactions: Solarlynx

Memma White

Feb 15, 2017
I used to love Avira and thought they'd left the competition in the dust. Until I discovered by chance that there was a password on my installation and I had no way to manage the account. I don't recall entering a password. What's the point? Now, I can't even uninstall the antivirus without a password, without which I cannot install other applications that I need to do my work. This is the first time I have come across a product that has implemented security beyond the application's immediate boundaries. That is too much control regardless of the concern for the dangers of unwanted intrusion. I have spent countless productive hours trying to figure out a way to manage this application. This is too much cost for a free product. I will never go for the premium version based on this experience. My only recourse now is to spend money to buy a password recovery code that maybe would work. Can't risk just deleting all avira files in safe mode. Any ideas?

MWTHelper

From Avira
Verified
Developer
Oct 27, 2016
Hi Memma White,
You mean really the Avira Antivirus app, right?
Well, the password protection is an user defined security option that can be enabled by the consumer or administrator for managed client computers.
In worst case you can remove the password protection by restarting Windows in safe mode, administrative account and delete of the configuration file "C:\ProgramData\Avira\Antivirus\CONFIG\AVWIN.INI". Restart Windows in normal mode and the password is gone.

Reactions: brambedkar59
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.