App Review Avira Pro 2018

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

Mahesh Sudula

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 3, 2017

PROS :
Champ in Anti phishing and Malicious url test
(as known)
Slow but complete removal of malware traces..
Excellent cloud + In House signatures
Tiny but powerhouse
CONS :
Almost high pricey than its competitors
No BB whatsoever
Lack of Firewall

Mahesh Sudula

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 3, 2017
ANTIVIR.png

For any experienced Avira user / non user..i do agree avira lack own BB..
But interesting is most times (except ransomwares) i see a detection suspicious patterns detected
is it Heuristics + Own static (+ Dynamic analysis) ?? It does the same in offline too..
In before videos too i never see avira (free) gets succumbed to any zero day malware (ransomware exempted) in offline (Mostly)..
Whats the behind working mechanism ? It really surprised me

Last edited:

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
The problem with Luke Filewalker is that it consumes too many resources and makes the system during the scan sluggish.
Webroot has an automated repeat scan after a threat detection but it's fast and doesn't slow down browsing.
Avira i think is good but i want to see less processes on their behalf.
Almost all major vendors has reduced their processes like Kaspersky, Norton, Eset etc.

Reactions: amico81 and frogboy

Mahesh Sudula

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 3, 2017
Of course it's got a firewall, you dummy. Not it's own, but works with Windows Firewall.
Download Antivirus Pro 2018 for Windows, Mac & Android | Avira

If you disable Windows Firewall (not recommended), then obviously there is no software firewall.
I never see avira blocking any of the firewall attacks incl very very basic things..
port scans , Data keylogging..never avira killed that..
U cant ever compare it to F secure or Trend..
in simple it is a BIG 0..it just dedicated to menu..Thats it..
i never saw any reviews claiming that Avira blocking any of basic attacks.

Only F secure or Trend micro show their worth alongside W.Firewall

Last edited by a moderator:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I never see avira blocking any of the firewall attacks incl very very basic things..
port scans , Data keylogging..never avira killed that..
U cant ever compare it to F secure or Trend..
in simple it is a BIG 0..it just dedicated to menu..Thats it..
i never saw any reviews claiming that Avira blocking any of basic attacks.

Only F secure or Trend micro show their worth alongside W.Firewall
Most home networks computers sit behind their Routers (hardware) Firewall. Not comparing Avira to anything else, you're delusional if you see F-Secure or Trend Micro mentioned in my previous reply.
giphy.gif

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Most home networks computers sit behind their Routers (hardware) Firewall. Not comparing Avira to anything else, you're delusional if you see F-Secure or Trend Micro mentioned in my previous reply.
giphy.gif

This is correct. If a software firewall is 'noisy' on a PC then it is likely you are seeing local network activity blocked, which more often than not is harmless. ARP Poisons, ICMP sweeps, SYN/FLOOD, DNLA, Plex, whatever. Those are all harmless and all part of a normal network functioning on a LAN within a subnet. You need to start asking questions if your software firewall is noisy, like why it's so false positive prone.

The primary benefit of a software firewall is application and outbound protection from applications (malicious or otherwise), not protection from other assets on the LAN. Your router will stop normal incoming attacks of merit to you in cases where no session is established. If a session is established and you come under attack then and only then will your software firewall kick in and protect you. This is what UTM/NGFW appliances also protect you from.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.