Avira 2018 with new UI launched

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

Avira launcher is unnecessary, it just uses unnecessary resources. I disabled the launcher from starting up, performance was noticeably better, Avira's protection and the main GUI would still start up and no reduction in protection.
Don't, it's a needed component for Avira products to work properly.

Luke Filewalker popping out is annoying.
I assume it will be gone, again, slowly with next stable releases, because it's nowhere to be found in BETA builds. :)

Faybert

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 8, 2017
Thanks for the refreshing new look. I'm sure you'd regain your lost customers and admire new ones if you re-designed the UI. All antiviruses does their job pretty well, so UI could be a good differentiating factor for them.

At the same time incorporating the behavioural shield in the free version could help it to be an amazing competitor to Avast & BitDefender & now Kaspersky, because Avira already has outstanding signature detection! If that's the case then I can assure you that more customers will switch from competitor apps to Avira.
I agree 100% (y)

Reactions: Deletedmessiah

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
Don't, it's a needed component for Avira products to work properly.

I assume it will be gone, again, slowly with next stable releases, because it's nowhere to be found in BETA builds. :)
I used to disable it, over 1 year 3 months ago. All protection in free version worked fine if I remember right. Was it necessary during that time too? Its not necessary if they don't make it necessary.

Reactions: Weebarra
D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

used to disable it, over 1 year 3 months ago. All protection in free version worked fine if I remember right. Was it necessary during that time too? Its not necessary if they don't make it necessary.
Here's is a official reply from Avira about why Avira launcher shouldn't be disabled. :)
My name is Cristian and I am writing you on behalf of the Avira Customer Service.

Basically our software works like this: we have 3 layers -

- one layer is the account details and has all the information regarding our client from our database (subscriptions, etc.) and this is the Avira Connect Web. Can be accessed here:

https://my.avira.com/en/auth/login

or a user can be redirected here once he click on the Avira Connect Client also know as the Launcher (the icon from taskbar - red icon with white umbrella) and goes to the button from the upper right corner where his/her name is.

- 2nd layer will be of course this Avira Client we already mentioned. what this software does it acts as a gateway between account credentials and licenses (subscriptions) and the software installed on the computer (like antivirus, vpn, speedup, etc.)

- 3rd will be exactly the software as depicted.

By now you have probably guessed that removing the Launcher you will have an impact on the entire communication with the backend, where your subscriptions are stored, devices, etc.

So, the answer is yes, it is mandatory since it was designed as such, to work as a gateway.

Mahesh Sudula

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 3, 2017
Avira Ohh god.. i did use a pro version with very good cloud blocking (99%) detection...scene is quite reverse when offline:notworthy::cry:..
I tested a New locky sample disconnected internet ..though blocked from cloud..when online.
Verdict :- No counter offence from Avira pro..system completely encrypted...
even RESTORE didnt work in my case..Complete a SIGNVIRA from Germany..:alien:
Utterly waste to buy a PRO
Luke file walker:X3:

Their Behaviour sensor and other sensors are ..just to attract users..
Clever job AVIRA..
Panda BB >> Avira (BB if exist)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: HunterKhajiit

HunterKhajiit

Level 2
Verified
Nov 11, 2017
Avira Ohh god.. i did use a pro version with very good cloud blocking (99%) detection...scene is quite reverse when offline:notworthy::cry:..
I tested a New locky sample disconnected internet ..though blocked from cloud..when online.
Verdict :- No counter offence from Avira pro..system completely encrypted...
even RESTORE didnt work in my case..Complete a SIGNVIRA from Germany..:alien:
Utterly waste to buy a PRO
Luke file walker:X3:

Their Behaviour sensor and other sensors are ..just to attract users..
Clever job AVIRA..
Panda BB >> Avira (BB if exist)
As we can see avira try to get their users peace of mind with this new Sensor Detection

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Mahesh Sudula

Mahesh Sudula

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 3, 2017
As we can see avira try to get their users peace of mind with this new Sensor Detection
But their sensors just sleep..like Avira BB..
Just a trash out there...
Except signatures:cautious:...
Avira Avira wake uppp:notworthy:

D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

Avira is improving with every BETA release. At least they are doing something. They are definitely not trash, and what other result did you expect @Mahesh Sudula taking system offline and testing ransomware? :p I think that's completely normal, and I wouldn't count it as a fail, since Avira protected the system when it was online. It's strange that somehow Avira Pro has higher detection ratio than Free version, even if support says that both versions share the same detection capabilities. That's how I have seen it. I like and support Avira. (y)

Mahesh Sudula

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 3, 2017
Avira is improving with every BETA release. At least they are doing something. They are definitely not trash, and what other result did you expect @Mahesh Sudula taking system offline and testing ransomware? :p I think that's completely normal, and I wouldn't count it as a fail, since Avira protected the system when it was online. It's strange that somehow Avira Pro has higher detection ratio than Free version, even if support says that both versions share the same detection capabilities. That's how I have seen it. I like and support Avira. (y)
Yeah i indeed like avira...after G data...but its offline capability against a latest 0 day variant is a trouble some...though some sensors(non working)
are inside
pairing with Os armour or Comodo firewall may help the issue..(default-deny )
Indeed offline would be real test for any av out there..Its not right to entirely depend on Huawei Cloud;)
I have a complete other system Dedicated for running tests(never done in my personal laptop)...without VIRTUALIZATION...mostly a Live Malware Attack
to test AV defense ..
anyway i still support Avira:)
For any AV out there (OFFLINE) too matters a lot for Normal Users

G data Emsisoft Kaspersky always wins

Last edited:

Faybert

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 8, 2017
Today I resolved to do a few quick tests with Avira Free, and then I noticed the giant size that he occupies after being installed, "only" 2 GB, and is the version more 'dried" of the product, as I use G Data, I did a comparison (spoiler), I use the most robust version (TS), with all the installed complements, and it occupies 719 MB, against 2 GB of Avira Free, something really bizarre, I believe it is the AV that occupies most space on a disk :unsure:
Capturar.PNG
gdata tamanho.PNG

Dima007

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Apr 24, 2013
They added back the option to activate the license in the antivirus user interface, but the interface still looks like the old version
avira-antivirus_license-management_activate-renew-license_en.jpg

Faybert

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 8, 2017
They added back the option to activate the license in the antivirus user interface, but the interface still looks like the old version
avira-antivirus_license-management_activate-renew-license_en.jpg
Yes, when I tested and click settings, also appear the old interface, it's a mix of new with old, according to Avira the old interface will gradually "fading" with new updates.

D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

Today I resolved to do a few quick tests with Avira Free, and then I noticed the giant size that he occupies after being installed, "only" 2 GB, and is the version more 'dried" of the product, as I use G Data, I did a comparison (spoiler), I use the most robust version (TS), with all the installed complements, and it occupies 719 MB, against 2 GB of Avira Free, something really bizarre, I believe it is the AV that occupies most space on a disk :unsure:
Since 2 days ago Avira's new VDF detection module in Beta builds are available. This detection module will have a new special type of detection, called AGEN detection rules, that will allow Avira to decrease the size of the VDF drastically in the near future.

Mahesh Sudula

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 3, 2017
It is their signatures...almost till today ...
That's the positive about Avira...Complete offline protection + Pattern Matching..Seems to do a fine job
They give completely (as is) to it's Users.
But lack of BB and no sort of any proactive layers apart from it's cloud..makes me scared.
@Faybert..what do u say about their Behaviour sensors and Other added modules
..do they work?

Reactions: ZeroDay and Faybert

Faybert

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 8, 2017
Since 2 days ago Avira's new VDF detection module in Beta builds are available. This detection module will have a new special type of detection, called AGEN detection rules, that will allow Avira to decrease the size of the VDF drastically in the near future.
Interesting. I did not know about it, I'll take a look at it anytime.
It is their signatures...almost till today ...
That's the positive about Avira...Complete offline protection + Pattern Matching..Seems to do a fine job
They give completely (as is) to it's Users.
But lack of BB and no sort of any proactive layers apart from it's cloud..makes me scared.
@Faybert..what do u say about their Behaviour sensors and Other added modules
..do they work?
Yes, I already thought it would be the signatures, but the question I posed is the size of this on the disk, I have not seen an AV of that size all this time, Avira could figure out a way to compress this whole size. In the test I did with 15 samples, it detected 8 by the signatures, in the dynamic test was not well, just blocked a sample, I've heard that it has BB, which does not have, I did not really notice any BB or something similar in tests , The signatures is what saves the program.

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Good start & a refreshing change! But definitely the UI has a long way to go!

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.