Avira 2018 with new UI launched

Discussion in 'Avira' started by Prayag, Sep 19, 2017.

1. JakeXPMan

JakeXPMan Level 15

Oct 20, 2014
    Windows 7
    I liked the old look, this one has adds taking 30 percent of the screen, and just looks too bright and white... I don't think I want to use this one,
    but I like how light it is on memory and its signatures are very good.

Comodo Cloud has a really cool newer UI, bad sigs but with sandboxing.

2. Yoda

Yoda Level 3

Jul 26, 2017
    Greece
    Windows 7
    Avira
    Not only I do not like the new UI, but I think lots of useful info is missing (Unless I am doing something wrong)

Eg.
    The old UI was showing in the 1st screen the date you did the last update AND the date you did a full scan for last time.
    How can I see this info now?

The (New) activity module can show the last update (after lot of keystrokes) but does not show when you did the last full scan.

ALSO:
    Why do I have to see in my main screen the ad for Google play and Appstore?
    Why do I have to see in my main screen the status of the modules I do not have?
    Lot of useless info instead the needed one...

3. zzz00m

zzz00m Level 3

Jun 10, 2017
    USA
    Windows 10
    Avira
    I chose Avira for my signature based AV protection, which includes the cloud based APC as a plus. It fully meets my needs for that purpose. I run layered security with other products, so I just want an AV that is an AV only. I run other anti-exploit, anti-ransomware, and anti-executable defenses, as well as have my browsers locked down with script blocking extensions and numerous blacklists.

I have no Avira bloat because I only run the real-time protection module. I have it set to scan all files, and there is no perceptible impact on my system performance with that setting.

Running the latest version of Avira Pro, which is working very well. However the new interface could use some work. Hire an artist please!

Yoda likes this.
  4. zzz00m

zzz00m Level 3

Jun 10, 2017
    USA
    Windows 10
    Avira
    You can still open the old UI, just not directly from the new interface. I have a shortcut icon pinned to my quick launch taskbar that takes me there with one click.

Setup a shortcut to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Avira\Antivirus\avcenter.exe". You can easily do this by navigating to the executable in this folder, right-clicking on it, and select "Pin to taskbar". Done!

However, I do hope they incorporate more of this function into the new UI, and that is most likely their plan.

MWTHelper, Xsjx and Yoda like this.
  5. Yoda

Yoda Level 3

Jul 26, 2017
    Greece
    Windows 7
    Avira
    Wow... Very nice! Much better now!
    Many thanks for sharing :D

MWTHelper likes this.
  6. rockstarrocks

rockstarrocks Level 14

Apr 16, 2017
    Civil Engineer
    Delhi>India>Asia>Earth>S.S.>Milky way>Our Universe
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    @MWTHelper An update on the development of Avira AV would be nice.
    Thanks in advance.

7. MWTHelper

MWTHelper From Avira
    Developer

Oct 27, 2016
    Germany
    We improved the loading speed of the new UI and fixed some minor issues with the last update 15.0.33. We have added also more informations about the license.

8. rockstarrocks

rockstarrocks Level 14

Apr 16, 2017
    Civil Engineer
    Delhi>India>Asia>Earth>S.S.>Milky way>Our Universe
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    Yes, I already have that update, much better UI loading than last release (beta tester). I was asking more about future roadmap or something. What can we expect like behavior blocker/hips etc.
    Edit: Also I see an option in the settings, 'Sensor Detection', any info on that? (There is nothing about it in the help file)

Opcode, amico81 and Syafiq like this.