Avira 2018 with new UI launched

Status
Not open for further replies.

davetenay

Level 2
Verified
Jul 31, 2015
So, they only included behavior blocker in the Pro version again. Sigh. Seems avast! is the only AV that also gives behavior blocker (Behavior Shield) to FREE users.

No, it is in the free version too.

Attachments

• Cattura.PNG
    Cattura.PNG
    38.8 KB · Views: 537

RejZoR

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
I've just tried it and it's the weirdest bit of software I've tried in last couple of years. They literally sticked a new interface on top of old one. And I don't know where you guys get the fancy new popups and stuff. For me, only thing new was main interface. Detection popups are still the old ones from 5 years ago and so are the settings which are still the old ones entirely. I thought it was more updated and yet I have most of the stuff from old versions. Even Luke Filewalker which I thought was gone already. What gives?

Faybert

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 8, 2017
I've just tried it and it's the weirdest bit of software I've tried in last couple of years. They literally sticked a new interface on top of old one. And I don't know where you guys get the fancy new popups and stuff. For me, only thing new was main interface. Detection popups are still the old ones from 5 years ago and so are the settings which are still the old ones entirely. I thought it was more updated and yet I have most of the stuff from old versions. Even Luke Filewalker which I thought was gone already. What gives?
I have the same opinion, I tested it today, it's very bizarre, you click to configure and open the old interface, so with other options, horrible experience.

RejZoR

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
On a laptop, when I opened the interface it tried to open new and old one at once and then the new one crapped out with some error and old one appeared and freezed. After restart it got fixed, but maaan, I thought avast! had broken new interface, AVIRA wins it all. While direction they are going is better, it's nowhere near even early BETA phase, let alone production release. And they needed like what, 5 years to reach this? I know protection is top priority, but man, this is ridiculous.

I also wonder if Sensors Detection even does anything yet... anyone tried it out yet against malware?

MeltdownEnemy

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jan 25, 2018
Apparently avira doesn't have someone who knows how to redesign it, I don't like it's model.
for me the most beautiful Gui on the popular AV is eset v10, but the number 1 making textures are: the team iobit. Nobody wins them.

Faybert

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 8, 2017
@Faybert @RejZoR It's not in stable version yet. But yeah, many UI elements are not themed and are still from old Avira. :rolleyes: I agree as well that they released new UI for public too early, imo it's not done yet and should still be in BETA.
Yes I know it is the Beta version, but both the Beta version and the stable are confusing, as I mentioned, you click to configure in the new interface and the old one appears, and vice versa, it is something bizarre :confused:

D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

Yes I know it is the Beta version, but both the Beta version and the stable are confusing, as I mentioned, you click to configure in the new interface and the old one appears, and vice versa, it is something bizarre :confused:
Maybe they will leave it like that, don't know. There are better free alternative AV's to use for now, that's for sure, unless they go big with it's Sensor Detection.

Reactions: HunterKhajiit

Antimalware18

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2014
I'd consider using this again but I would first like to see the GUI fixed.

a more proactive cloud (not only on-execution)

and some form of light BB possibly. what is this "sensor detection"?

HunterKhajiit

Level 2
Verified
Nov 11, 2017
I'd consider using this again but I would first like to see the GUI fixed.

a more proactive cloud (not only on-execution)

and some form of light BB possibly. what is this "sensor detection"?
This new features seems like very new and unknown to us because we haven't seen any tests that proofing its functioning, so i hope this is not all lie by avira to make users more peace of mind and use that as their own advantages

Reactions: Andrew999

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Thanks for the refreshing new look. I'm sure you'd regain your lost customers and admire new ones if you re-designed the UI. All antiviruses does their job pretty well, so UI could be a good differentiating factor for them.

At the same time incorporating the behavioural shield in the free version could help it to be an amazing competitor to Avast & BitDefender & now Kaspersky, because Avira already has outstanding signature detection! If that's the case then I can assure you that more customers will switch from competitor apps to Avira.

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
Thanks for the refreshing new look. I'm sure you'd regain your lost customers and admire new ones if you re-designed the UI. All antiviruses does their job pretty well, so UI could be a good differentiating factor for them.

At the same time incorporating the behavioural shield in the free version could help it to be an amazing competitor to Avast & BitDefender & now Kaspersky, because Avira already has outstanding signature detection! If that's the case then I can assure you that more customers will switch from competitor apps to Avira.

Also try to reduce the bloatware in free version. I have not used Avira for over a year and don't know how much have changed over a year, so correct me if I'm wrong on the points below,
Avira launcher is unnecessary, it just uses unnecessary resources. I disabled the launcher from starting up, performance was noticeably better, Avira's protection and the main GUI would still start up and no reduction in protection. I know you have to earn money too but do it in a more user friendlier way and without badly slowing down computers.
Luke Filewalker popping out is annoying. Why not scan it quietly on background without popups?
I may be wrong on this but I believe there was no way to disable a scheduled scan on free version(either per 1 day or 2 day). I personally don't like scheduled scans. Waste of resources. I prefer to scan once in a while manually.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.