Advice Request Avoid These Browsers

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
After browsing r/privacytoolsIO these are my conclusions.

If you really care about "privacy and freedom", you may want to avoid the following browsers and also ditch Windows/Mac.

❌ Brave

❌ Chromium - Valid points are made
here

❌ Google Chrome

❌ Microsoft Edge (Chromium)

• ❌ Microsoft Edge (Legacy, unsupported)
  • ❌ Internet Explorer (unsupported)
❌ Opera

❌ Safari

❌ Vivaldi

Consider using these instead:

✅ Mozilla Firefox

✅ Tor Browser

Last edited:

rain2reign

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2020
I generally find the individuals there to be quite "radical", but personal opinions about that aside. One of the comments I read, at this time of writing, did make a good point. And pretty much sums up my opinion and knowledge about the whole discussion to an extent.

1618584171071.png

I use Firefox myself, but for its customizability advantage it had back then years ago. Though, now the gap is getting smaller and smaller on that front, if it already hasn't been beaten in some aspects. And Mozilla making some questionable choices and not pushing their engine to where it needs to be in certain aspects... With that being said, I do hope they remain and one day give some proper competition back to Chromium browsers... The niche it currently serves can't even compare to its competition.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
In short, don't use anything chromium based if you don't want Google to take over the internet.
Not only Google, but private companies in general.

Brave? really? wow
Brave has it's own Ad system in-place and whilst I am not against it, I posted this without bias. There are users who want true freedom without any commercial ties.

(I am a Brave browser user.)

Check the link in the first post.

What about unmicrosofted edge?
What? Check the link in the first post regarding Chromium.

Paul.R

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
May 16, 2013
Soon we will be more and more restricted without the so-called privacy term. We are about to reach the age of money digitization. Do you really think about privacy? or a browser privacy? Look at Firefox ~100 connections on first start up, Google default engine...? Forget it...use what you like :) I'm with Vivaldi / Edge Chromium now ( security is more important now then privacy, some of us make payments, crypto wallet, etc.)

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Brave has it's own Ad system in-place and whilst I am not against it, I posted this without bias.
I have it disabled, I like the idea, since I do not even block ADs, but the implementation is just bad, it causes a terrible slow down (webpages load like 4-5 times slower).
❌ Chromium - Valid points are made here
That is why I allow only port 443, I would never allow ports 5222 or 5228. 🤫

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
No one in their right mind will use Firefox just because it is the only not chromium. Firefox needs to make some innovations no justify using it.
If Google actually starts doing the things mentioned, then other browsers will move out of chromiumm.
You mean innovations like those?

They defenitely didn't stop improving Firefox just because they don't keep up with the Chrome updating shedule...

Templarware

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Mar 13, 2021
If you really care about "privacy and freedom", you may want to avoid the following browsers and also ditch Windows/Mac.
And you need to ditch smartphones, smart TVs...
You basically need to ditch the internet. Edge with uBlock and DuckDuckGo is private enough for me.
I guess no one really cares, other than those people who live in the woods.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.