Advice Request Avoid These Browsers

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

gonzalo

Level 2
Verified
May 20, 2014
For me personally, the only option is to use Chromium based browser. Because Firefox and other browsers based on Gecko have terrible font rendering. If that was fixed, I'd immediately switch to Firefox. Until then, Chrome is my top choice because of security.
And for Youtube, chrome runs much better and faster than Firefox. ever, period. I always had problems in that site using FF.

The_King

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 2, 2020
And for Youtube, chrome runs much better and faster than Firefox. ever, period. I always had problems in that site using FF.
I have had the opposite experience with chrome and edge having issues on Youtube. I never experienced any
issues with FF on Youtube.

If you want faster render times you can enable gfx.webrender.all in about config.

South Park

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jun 23, 2018
As far as I'm aware, that only applies to URLs typed into the address bar without the HTTP/HTTPS prefix. And from what I've read (and just tested with Edge), it seems to be exclusive to Chrome.
That's still true as of the latest Edge update. I had to add "Smart HTTPS" from the Edge store to get it to default to HTTPS if I click on an HTTP link. (HTTPZ, which works great on Firefox, didn't work at all for Edge when I tried it.)

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
Strange. YouTube is the worst on Chrome and Edge on my PC.

It's so slow, it takes about 5 seconds to load everything. And once it loads, scrolling is slower than on normal sites. Sometimes even parts of website are broken, so I have to delete some cookies to make it work again. It came to the point I'm looking to replace web version of YouTube with an app like FreeTube.

On the other hand, works fast and great in Firefox and other Gecko-based browsers.

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Strange. YouTube is the worst on Chrome and Edge on my PC.

It's so slow, it takes about 5 seconds to load everything. And once it loads, scrolling is slower than on normal sites. Sometimes even parts of website are broken, so I have to delete some cookies to make it work again. It came to the point I'm looking to replace web version of YouTube with an app like FreeTube.

On the other hand, works fast and great in Firefox and other Gecko-based browsers.
If Youtube doesn't work great on Chrome, it's definitely the extensions that's playing spoilsport.

Dark Knight

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
Privacy?

You want true privacy? ........ unplug, that is the only way you will achieve true privacy

It does not matter what browser you use, albeit some are more secure than others and yes I would NEVER use any Chromium based browser, just for the Google factor, I switched to Firefox years ago and have not deviated, Duck Duck Go is my default search engine.

It doesn't matter how hardened you think your system may be, what browser you use, what security software you use , what VPN you use, whether it keeps logs or doesn't keep logs or any of that other stuff, if someone wants to find you, as long as you are plugged in you can be found, it all just really depends on who is looking and how bad they want to find you.
Remember the very first PC you bought?, you brought it home , set it up and plugged that modem into the phone line, cranked up AOL and a few screeches later you connected and took your first step onto the WWW ? your information was out there right then and there, your name, telephone number and address all released to the web within seconds of you being on the web ... there is no getting that back.
Nowadays, there is no telling how much internet traffic and information gets routed through the NSA or Prism, VPN or no VPN.

We need to remember , the World Wide Web originated with the military as a way to communicate decades before it became available for personal and commercial use, if the military used it I can promise you there are things about the web that no one BUT THEM know anything about.

The very first time you plugged in you gave up the right to privacy, now we have smart phones, watches, TV's, Homes , appliances and IP cams, even your cars are wired to the web, everyone has pretty much given up their right to privacy ...... they just don't know it.

Yes Google may be a big problem but what about all the others also ? Social media is the worst, IMO far worse than Google can ever be. Social media has gotten to the point where it is pretty much tracks your every move and is dictating everyday life and even the media, they dictate what you can say and what you cannot say. It can truly destroy ones life. At it's first inception Google and social media was great, problem is no one ever kept them in check and now they have grown out of hand, it has gotten to the point that their algorythims have become so complex that on any given day they can either make you or destroy you, they have even managed to determine the outcomes of world elections .

So, what browser you choose to use? ..... seems pretty moot to me.

Just food for thought.

Last edited:

The_King

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 2, 2020
Privacy?

You want true privacy? ........ unplug, that is the only way you will achieve true privacy

Even if you don't use the internet but your brothers uncles sister step son (any relative) does and he/she posts anything
related to you online then your privacy goes out the window.

You don't have to use the internet in order for your privacy to be lost. Going to your local grocery store and paying
with your credit/debit card then you data is leaked online. Getting caught on any of the 1000's of CCTV cameras that most businesses use. Nothing stopping
them from identifying you on camera. Yes every Friday night Mr. Smith comes in buys a pack of XXL potato chips. :LOL:

TLDR: Even if you forsake all society and live offline without any technology, some Gen Z will come along and take your photo
and post it to his Instagram with the hashtag living off the grid.

Dark Knight

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
Even if you don't use the internet but your brothers uncles sister step son (any relative) does and he/she posts anything
related to you online then your privacy goes out the window.

You don't have to use the internet in order for your privacy to be lost. Going to your local grocery store and paying
with your credit/debit card then you data is leaked online. Getting caught on any of the 1000's of CCTV cameras that most businesses use. Nothing stopping
them from identifying you on camera. Yes every Friday night Mr. Smith comes in buys a pack of XXL potato chips. :LOL:

TLDR: Even if you forsake all society and live offline without any technology, some Gen Z will come along and take your photo
and post it to his Instagram with the hashtag living off the grid.

Even Police have tag scanners on their vehicles now, they know who you are before you see them behind you ! o_O

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Getting caught on any of the 1000's of CCTV cameras that most businesses use. Nothing stopping
them from identifying you on camera. Yes every Friday night Mr. Smith comes in buys a pack of XXL potato chips.
tumblr-omweh2ngm-O1qelqjto1-1280.gif
WHAAAAT!??? @Gandalf_The_Grey can we please get some of your magic 🧙‍♂️ cleaning here. I don't like this stalking when I buy chips and beers, vegetables. :p:LOL:

Either one think it's a pure waste bucket of time and energy or not, it's impossible to miss out on the word privacy nowadays as it never been more spread and known. Pretty ironic it's thanks to Facebook and the Cambridge Analytica scandal and for anyone who missed out on that story it's a very well worth visit.

From the main topic and first post in this thread, I was happy to see I already ticked Tor and Firefox, but I normally use them for other reasons then pure privacy concerns.

The_King

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 2, 2020
firefox has their fingers in google's wallet.
Consider the majority of Firefox users who are freeloaders who want everything for free and don't want to pay for anything.

Then consider Mozilla is a non profit and not a major corporation with billions behind them to pay their programmers or devs
then you have those who want Firefox to run on hopes and dreams and still deliver a browser that will
compete with likes of Google, Microsoft and Apple.

I would tell them to take has much money has possible from Google even Take money from Microsoft and Apple if possible.

Last edited:

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
youtube is still working perfectly on chromium for me. I don't know what happens to your setup that chrome is slow on youtube. Perhaps some extensions interfere with youtube's function
to compare, we need nearly identical setup and extensions on both browser. Finally, sometimes, chrome needs h264ify to run more smoothly

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.