AyeAyeCaptain's Setup (updated 17/11/11)

AyeAyeCaptain

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 24, 2011
Well that is my setup, DEF + is set to paranoid, AV is on access, firewall is custom as well as the other settings tweaked (cannot be bothered to say/list).

EDIT: Removed Keyscrambler & SAS a long time ago.

Thinking of adding EAM on demand so triple combo??

Also what about EMET?

AyeAyeCaptain

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 24, 2011
RE: AyeAyeCaptain's Setup

Enabled... sorry was bit rushed. also using Comodo DNS (interested to see how it's going to turn out to be honest).

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011

Solid security config.

AyeAyeCaptain

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 24, 2011

Thanks Jack, used to have other stuff installed but then thought what's the point... slim it down! :)

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011

Same here.You are clearly an advanced user , to be quite honest I think that you'll be safe even without any real-time protection.But because CIS is so light and free, I don't see any reason why not have it.

AyeAyeCaptain

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 24, 2011

Chiron said:
Just make sure the sandbox is set to either restricted or untrusted.

For more information you can see my article on How to Install Comodo Firewall.

Already is, thanks.... I think I commented on a post you made earlier about that. I think in my opinion that the default should be changed to restricted at least with the new versions but I very much doubt that will happen. On the other hand, the Sandbox part of the protection is always getting better, and once more mature it will give less and less problems (we hope) I think.

P

Plexx

Heya AyeAye,
Any reason for using CIS 5.3 or you have updated to 5.8 but didn't update the initial post?

I added Emet, based on the forum guide.

I suppose you could add EAM for on demand scan. I tried it but I didn't really like it.

Could I ask what you do with your config?

AyeAyeCaptain

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 24, 2011
Oops, of course using 5.8 (oops!) and yes think will add EMET, and EAM can't do any harm even though it does raise a few FP's??

Use my Laptop (this is main one I use, take with me) for watching Music+Video plus converting... Gaming, Word Doc (Microsoft Office related tasks). As well as general browsing and uploading files to my hosting etc...

Get's a fair bit of stick each day, oh and online banking (Zemana used for added layer) quite often.

P

Plexx

Try having a look at my main config, you might want to use some of the tools there (not the toolbox). Toolbox was added because my friends keep getting infected and well, no harm in helping.

EAM wouldn't harm as an on demand scan. Give it a try.

AyeAyeCaptain

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 24, 2011
I do have a lot of tools myself, but not listed :D

To be honest, just listed the core things I have installed.

Thanks, will take a look at your main config now. ;)

P

Plexx

AyeAyeCaptain said:
I do have a lot of tools myself, but not listed :D

To be honest, just listed the core things I have installed.

Thanks, will take a look at your main config now. ;)

Perhaps installing Panda URL Filter (installed via Panda Toolbar and then remove Panda Toolbar) and you should be ok with the config in my opinion.

AyeAyeCaptain

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 24, 2011
Yeah, nice suggestion! Forgot about that one, see so many things and have so many on my to-do-list but will certainly give it a try. Did have m86 on my list of addons (m86security) but forgot to see if it was compatable again as sometimes they do have to catch up.

On thinking a little more about it, decided not to put EAM on my on-demand list, but may put it through it's pace out of interest on VM :)

AyeAyeCaptain

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 24, 2011
MetalShaun said:
Do you really need Zemana along side CIS?? I think CIS is perfectly adequate on its own.

Added peace of mind, although I could be happy with the power of HIPS, it's just another layer, and what inspired me to use it was the free....

Do agree with you though, but does not hurt for me to use it.

P

Plexx

I guess I'll run a few tests tomorrow as on demand on VMWARE as well.

I am actually looking at removing some tools and already started replacing paid with freeware due to the usability and the resources and perhaps some tweaks here and there.

My only problem is that while my system can be used without a problem, my second config needs to be more user friendly.

AyeAyeCaptain

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 24, 2011
Sometimes it's a never ending cycle (perpetual) that we seem to face when trying to get it secure & user friendly. :D

Fixed DC Jack on old laptop other day, so thinking what best and most user friendly option is for that, to donate as guest lappy for when my family/friends come round. (Panda or ESET? Using free trials) but that's another thread :p

P

Plexx

Well, if you don't mind Cloud, I would have to say go with Panda Cloud AV. Using it on my second config and no complaints yet which is good.

I was initially a bit sceptical but I followed Maximus advice on that one, despite having UAC turned on max and the windows firewall on.

Heres the link for the second config (used by my partner). Also it's not a high end laptop like mine. Its a dual core AMD mid-end Toshiba (got it from PC World not long ago).

Hope it helps.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.