Online_Sword

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 23, 2015
I find that both AOMEI Backuper and Macrium Reflects are frequently recommended in the security config sub-forum, which makes me curious about these two backup softwares.

I have not used any of them, so, I create this war thread to learn some differences between them, especially the advantages and disadvantages of each of them.:)

If you think the paid version of any of these two is a must-have and/or worth the price, please leave your comment in your reply. Thank you.

If you think there is a backup software significantly better than these two, please recommend it to me in your reply, I would add a poll choice for it. Thanks.:)

Hangtooth

Level 5
Verified
Dec 5, 2015
The last couple times I have tried either AOEMEI Backupper or AOEMEI Partition Assistant, a chkdsk run through the UI ALWAYS finds a problem it wants to fix. I schedule a chkdsk on reboot, it runs, nothing there.. come back to Windows, open AOEMEI product, and it still finds an error. Running chkdsk to just check for errors through windows finds no problem. This is without a restart.

I then check with MiniTool Partition Wizard Free, my new go to free partition tool, and no errors are present.

It might just not like my hardware, but it happens with my wife's machine as well, with a different motherboard but the same drive.

It just is enough to make me think I will stick with Macrium. Years ago I tried to restore from a backup and got a disk error and lost all my data as the image and the original disc were then hosed. No way can I trust AOEMEI if it finds an error on a chkdsk scan. It would likely fail to restore period for me.

Shame as it seems a good product. I just advise running a chkdsk through the UI, and if it comes up with an error that nothing else can see, run away.

TLDR: Macrium Reflect Free for me!

Last edited:

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
I can't really make too much of an opinon since I've only backed up and restored my computer once with AOEMEI and twice with Macrium Reflect. I will say for me, my preference is with Macrium Reflect. Better UI (very clean), option to insert boot option at start up (kind of like dual booting your Windows OS and Windows PE) to restore a backup without booting into the OS (which you can also do with a USB - I know AOEMEI has USB option but not sure about boot menu), and it's also proved to be faster than the other backup tools that I've used (both AOEMEI and Paragon aren't as fast at restoration on my system - sometimes I get performance loss if I use Paragon or AOEMEI - another reason why I use Macrium Reflect).

Online_Sword

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 23, 2015
Thank you all for your comments.:)

According to these comments, it seems that Macrium Reflect free is better than AOMEI Backuper free in terms of backing up the system.

But I personally pay more attention to the capability of backing up important documents than backing up the entire system.

It seems that the free version of Macrium Reflect does not support the "file and folder back up": Macrium Reflect Free .

Then, when you choose Macrium Reflect, would you consider to purchase the paid version to back up documents?

In addition, do you think the free version of AOMEI Backuper reliable in terms of backing up documents? (I think a backup software is reliable only if it will not create backup images that are broken and cannot be restored with a high probability.)

Thanks.

Hangtooth

Level 5
Verified
Dec 5, 2015
I'd like macrium reflect paid myself, but from what I can tell it rarely if ever goes on sale and is $69.95 per license, and I have 2 machines to take care of. I really can't tell if it's worth spending that much over the free alternatives.

If aoemei products do not find errors on your hard drives they seem very good and come highly recommended, I just advise trying the free versions first to make sure they work right with your particular hardware.

How about other solutions? Perhaps one of the other free products recommended in the sub-forum would be worth considering?

Reactions: Online_Sword

AJCSTR

Mar 15, 2016
It seems that the free version of Macrium Reflect does not support the "file and folder back up": Macrium Reflect Free .

Thanks.

Well in a way it does. Though it does not have a specific File and Folder Backup, you can browse the image and restore just a file or folder by dragging and dropping. Aomei has this function also. I guess the question is, would you use the specific file backup more frequently because its quicker and produces smaller backups?

AJCSTR

Mar 15, 2016
The last couple times I have tried either AOEMEI Backupper or AOEMEI Partition Assistant, a chkdsk run through the UI ALWAYS finds a problem it wants to fix. I schedule a chkdsk on reboot, it runs, nothing there.. come back to Windows, open AOEMEI product, and it still finds an error. Running chkdsk to just check for errors through windows finds no problem. This is without a restart.

I had kind of the opposite on one of my laptops (which I know is a little screwed up). Macrium would not perform the backup saying I needed to run chkdisk, but Aomei backed it up and I was able to run a verify on the image. Would it restore? I don't know.

D

Deleted member 2913

I have not used both. My Vote - Other.

I have 2 partitions, C & E. C is system, program installs, etc... E is personal stuffs, etc...

C Partiton - I protect C partiton with AX64/FlashBack 2. I have enabled FB Boot Option through FB Startup Manager. On system boot you get options to boot into Windows or FB Recovery.
There is 3 ways to restore system with FB.
Within Windows - This is called "Hot Restore" - Select restore point & process starts & system will boot, on boot FB in a dos like window performs restore process & after completion system restarts. Hot Restore is fast enough for me.
Boot Option - On boot select FB Recovery. In Advanced Options, by default "Hot Restore" & "Full Restore" both is selected. HR is greyed out & FR you can change. I dont know by default if it does HR or FR or based on something it will perform either HR or FR. But I have tried unchecking FR, & restore was always successful. It is "Warm Restore" i.e it performs Hot Restore but takes more time than HR started within Windows. It is fast enough & doesn't take very long.
Boot Option - Full Restore. Its Cold Store. I haven't tried yet. It will take more time than the other 2 mentioned above as it does full restore.

2 times HR within Windows was not successful so tried WR & was always successful. WR has always worked so didn't tried FR yet.

E Partiton - I simply back up to external HDD with FreeFileSync.

Win 10 64 with Kaspersky Endpoint Security 10. I have added FB as "Trusted" in KES.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Soulbound

sunrise

Level 2
Verified
Aug 2, 2014
Image for windows
Fast, never have an error, file is relatively small, cheap (lifetime license as long as you are still on v2.xx)

Downside, not very user friendly.

shemp

Level 1
Verified
Jul 19, 2014
Image for windows
Fast, never have an error, file is relatively small, cheap (lifetime license as long as you are still on v2.xx)

Downside, not very user friendly.
Just wanted to add that a license allows you to use ifw on 3 personal computers.

This program can be simplified some by going to the settings and selecting "simple operations".
hope that helps

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
I've been using for a long time (free) version of "ACRONIS True Image" for Western Digital customers: "Acronis True Image WD Edition" ( Software and Firmware Downloads | WD Support ). But this version has limited functionality and works only with WD-drives (external and internal). Now i have 4 brand new Seagate drives therefore i needed/bought new backup-Software: O&O DiskImage 10.5: Backup Software for Windows

see yahhhh !

LASER_oneXM ....live from Europe!

Reactions: frogboy

King Alpha

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 21, 2013
My vote goes to Macrium Reflect Free (I found it very easy to use) although I'm currently using AOMEI Backupper paid version.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.