Advice Request Bad Block Error

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

franz

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
May 29, 2021
When my F-Secure Safe was updated to 18.0 I would transfer 200GB from one disk to another, but it did not go well. After approx. 90% stopped transmission and disk remained and make a weird sound.

I tried to transfer by using FolderMatch too, but the same problem. I must admit I did not understand where the error was, but first suspect the new version of the F-Secure, and contacted support. Hit a nice technician who sent me a Mail with some solutions. One was checking for Bad Block Error and this solved my problem at a speed. Have never experienced this earlier. Are there others who have experienced this? (y)

Last edited:

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
If the hdd is making noise, it is likely that it has physically failed. First of all, I think you should give top priority to backup. In the case of a physical failure, some of the files may be corrupted and unusable. However, trying to recover a corrupted file in the current situation can spread the damage.

franz

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
May 29, 2021
If the hdd is making noise, it is likely that it has physically failed. First of all, I think you should give top priority to backup. In the case of a physical failure, some of the files may be corrupted and unusable. However, trying to recover a corrupted file in the current situation can spread the damage.
I have full backup of all my disks stored offline, and if a disk dies, it is replaced immediately.:)

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
When my F-Secure Safe was updated to 18.0 I would transfer 200GB from one disk to another, but it did not go well. After approx. 90% stopped transmission and disk remained and make a weird sound.

I tried to transfer by using FolderMatch too, but the same problem. I must admit I did not understand where the error was, but first suspect the new version of the F-Secure, and contacted support. Hit a nice technician who sent me a Mail with some solutions. One was checking for Bad Block Error and this solved my problem at a speed. Have never experienced this earlier. Are there others who have experienced this? (y)
Never happened to me, but thanks for the tip!

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
I have full backup of all my disks stored offline, and if a disk dies, it is replaced immediately.:)
That's a good precautionary measure.:D(y)
This has been my experience, but one of the signs of a corrupt HDD was that file names would randomly disappear or parts of them would be missing. Then, when you try to retrieve the area with the error, the application will freeze. This is probably a symptom of the freezing during the transfer, as you mentioned.

The final conclusion can be reached by checking the S.M.A.R.T. number, which tracks the status of the hdd.
CrystalDiskInfo
When you let it run, it will show you a table. You can get detailed data, but the quickest way is to check the changes in the numbers on the right side of ID 05, c5, and c6. In the case of a disk that has reached the end of its physical life, the values here will fluctuate by several minutes.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.