Be Careful With Third Party Uninstallers

System utilities
13 Replies 2,122 Views

lokamoka820

Level 55
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Trying to uninstall Auslogics Registry Cleaner using Revo Uninstaller Advanced Mode and this is what it finds

RevoUnin_2024-04-22_21-47-08n.png
 

Attachments

  • RevoUnin_2024-04-22_21-47-08.png
    RevoUnin_2024-04-22_21-47-08.png
    151 KB · Views: 461
Last edited:
It's normal for Revo Uninstaller to find leftover files and registry entries. You can safely select all and delete. Always back up before making changes to the registry.
 
That there is some irony lol.

I wouldn't be using either one of those system file smashing softwares. Might as well wipe it and start fresh.
Even HiBit Uninstaller could break things, there is no such thing as safe uninstaller, you have to check what it will delete.

Here is the best advice I have get about removing software in Windows:
In this case I use AppBuster to remove some Microsoft programs that came with Windows 11 and that Microsoft does not want me to remove. That is already questionable.
Removing leftovers could break Windows 11 if it removed the wrong things.

Another example is Comodo Firewall if you remove it with Revo the cleanup script that Comodo runs after the uninstall is removed as leftover and the result is that there are more leftovers with Revo than if you just let Comodo do the uninstall.

Leftovers are generally speaking harmless.

The only time they matter is when uninstalling AV software.
Then I use some other programs after the uninstall and reboot:

I do use the registry cleaner in CCleaner and had no issues with it.
But it is not really needed.
 
Even HiBit Uninstaller could break things, there is no such thing as safe uninstaller, you have to check what it will delete.

Here is the best advice I have get about removing software in Windows:
The best advice you could have if you do a lot of installing and uninstalling "experimenting with software ect" is to get yourself an imaging software and create snapshots of a clean stable system, then if you need, you can always restore the snapshot, makes life much simpler.
 
For years I have been using total uninstall professional together with a registry cleaner called JCleaner: I use many software and always keep them updated. Installations, uninstallations and updates are the order of the day in my Windows operating systems. After every uninstallation - very thorough - a cleaning of the Windows registry always follows. Obviously I constantly save OS images with Aomei backupper professional and R-Drive image. There are no universal rules in this regard: for example, my OS "maintained" constantly with deep uninstallations and registry cleanups have never had the slightest stability problem. I don't use pirated software.
 
Always double-check the leftovers detected by third-party uninstallers. I use HiBit Uninstaller and review the detected remnants or logs generated by Installation Monitoring. I take care of scanning and cleaning up any remnants, regardless of the uninstalled program's notification for a system restart.
 

Recently browsing

Members who viewed this thread in the last 5 minutes

Back
Top