Beirut :(

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
"Video circulating on social media shows a massive explosion rocking central Beirut - shattering windows, knocking down doors and shaking buildings several hundred feet away. Lebanon’s health minister told journalists a ship carrying fireworks had blown up in the port, though the size of the blast heard across the country raised suspicions it might have resulted from a rocket strike or detonation of explosives - deliberate or otherwise. The source of the blast has not been confirmed"

"Lebanon's interior minister says ammonium nitrate likely caused explosion"
LIVE UPDATES - Beirut explosion: dead and wounded among 'hundreds of casualties', says Lebanon Red Cross – live updates

Last edited:

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
2020 is, literally, a disaster. Like the Kevin's famous chili. 😐

oNPz9KM.gif

Last edited:

Chuck57

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 22, 2018
2,750 tons of ammonium nitrate stored for 6 years in an unsecured warehouse. At least 3000 injured last count and more than 50 dead. I'm surprised the death toll is only 50, unless some were vaporized by the blast - which can happen in an explosion like that.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Large amounts of Ammonium Nitrate are stored at the port.
That is, "were stored..."
2,750 tons of ammonium nitrate stored for 6 years in an unsecured warehouse. At least 3000 injured last count and more than 50 dead. I'm surprised the death toll is only 50, unless some were vaporized by the blast - which can happen in an explosion like that.
And felt as far away as Cyprus!

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Hezbollah will have to order more ammonium nitrate so they can manufacture their famous "fertilizers". In case you didn't get my hint, that hidden stockpile of dangerous chemicals was not intended for civilian use.

Ammonium nitrate is a chemical compound with the chemical formula NH
4NO
3. It is a white crystalline solid and is highly soluble in water. It is predominantly used in agriculture as a high-nitrogen fertilizer.[4] Its other major use is as a component of explosive mixtures

Last edited:

mazskolnieces

Level 3
Well-known
Jul 25, 2020
The orangish-brown cloud is from the ammonium nitrate burning\exploding. There is a large amount of nitrogen dioxide.

The only bigger explosion that I've seen is that hydrazine plant that blew up in the Nevada desert. That explosion was the equivalent size of a 1950s tactical nuclear weapon.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Based on my limited knowledge of the country, it's politics and the events leading up to the explosion, I'd say an accident waiting to happen.

In related news, several hours ago.

"Two US officials, speaking to Reuters on the condition of anonymity, said it was unclear where Trump was receiving his information but that initial information did not appear to show that the explosion was an attack."
- Source

Mr Trump told reporters: "I've met with some of our great generals and they just seem to feel that this was not some kind of manufacturing explosion type of an event... They seem to think it was an attack. It was a bomb of some kind."
- Source

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
oldschool, do you have to subscribe to the NYTimes in order to view the photos? Not able to see the images but maybe it's better that way. Absolutely devastating.

Everyone involved should pay with their wealth and their lives. They all knew the consequences of this gigantic payload and no one who could do anything DID anything despite the warnings, it seems.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
oldschool, do you have to subscribe to the NYTimes in order to view the photos? Not able to see the images but maybe it's better that way. Absolutely devastating.

Everyone involved should pay with their wealth and their lives. They all knew the consequences of this gigantic payload and no one who could do anything DID anything despite the warnings, it seems.
No problem seeing the photos here.
A matter of the right blocklist in uBlock Origin?
I believe AdGuard Annoyances filter (Optimized) did the trick.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.