Battle Best Anti-Keylogger with HIPS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nishaddesilva

Level 3
Thread author
Aug 26, 2012
Which of these software is the best Anti-Keylogger with HIPS in your opinion?
Feel free to mention any other good solutions.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
No commentary as both have limitations and they are mostly primarily focus on keylogger behavior.

Keyscrambler free is another good encrypted keystrokes software.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
The best anti-logger is yourself.
Watch what you download and install to your system, never connect unknown devices to USB and watch how you surf the web.

I have never understood the concept of an Anti-Logger software.

If you need an Anti-logger that indicates your system has already been infected and you need a software to stop it from recording your actions.

Your first primary action should be to remove the infection not to try to stop it from recording.

Most stand-alone firewalls without HIPS will block connections to logging malware.

If you don't have an infection then you don't need an Anti-Logger software unless you are just paranoid.

Thanks.:D

nishaddesilva

Level 3
Thread author
Aug 26, 2012
Well then I guess I'm just paranoid. :D
I'm currently using Avast IS and I tested it using various keylogging simulators. It neither detected any of them nor alerted me about the hooks even though I've set the behaviour shield to "Ask". That's when I decided that I need another layer of protection
I'm currently trying SpyShelter free and it works like a charm with AIS. It even passed all my keylogging simulator tests. :)

D

Deleted member 178

Avast behavior shield is not a BB (like Mamutu), i thought the same as you before, it seems to just analyze a process and send it to the cloud for cross-checking (if i understand it properly).

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
nishadrox said:
Well then I guess I'm just paranoid. :D
I'm currently using Avast IS and I tested it using various keylogging simulators. It neither detected any of them nor alerted me about the hooks even though I've set the behaviour shield to "Ask". That's when I decided that I need another layer of protection
I'm currently trying SpyShelter free and it works like a charm with AIS. It even passed all my keylogging simulator tests. :)

If the keylogging simulators are digitally signed by a trusted software vendor then Avast will not warn you, but if you happen to get a malware that tries to log your actions then Avast will detect it and block it because malware processes are not digitally signed.

Just right click on your keylogging simulators, select "Properties" look for "Digital Signatures". If they have valid digital signatures then most AV and other security software will not detect them because they are safe.

Most keylogging simulators are made to test only a certain software and will give you false results if other software are tested with them.

nishaddesilva

Level 3
Thread author
Aug 26, 2012
Umbra Polaris said:
Avast behavior shield is not a BB (like Mamutu), i thought the same as you before, it seems to just analyze a process and send it to the cloud for cross-checking (if i understand it properly).

jamescv7 said:
Well there BB from Avast are likely using from heuristics beside the 3 important tick configuration.

Hmmm. I see. Thanks for the info. I guess I'll keep SpyShelter as an added security layer. :)

Littlebits said:
If the keylogging simulators are digitally signed by a trusted software vendor then Avast will not warn you, but if you happen to get a malware that tries to log your actions then Avast will detect it and block it because malware processes are not digitally signed.

Just right click on your keylogging simulators, select "Properties" look for "Digital Signatures". If they have valid digital signatures then most AV and other security software will not detect them because they are safe.

Most keylogging simulators are made to test only a certain software and will give you false results if other software are tested with them.

No mate. None of them are digitally signed and still Avast doesn't detect any of them. SpyShelter too allows digitally signed programs. But it detects these unsigned simulators. :)

nishaddesilva

Level 3
Thread author
Aug 26, 2012
Littlebits said:
Could you please list the keylogging simulators that you used and download links? I would like to test this myself.

They are testing tools provided by Zemana, Raxco and SpyShelter.
Download links:
http://www.zemana.com/SecurityTests.aspx
http://www.spyshelter.com/download-spyshelter
http://download.raxco.com/keylogger...f887248f|c1022568-494a-4186-a8df-cfa417a3a52c

I even tested both Avast and SpyShelter using Comodo Leak tests. They scored 300/340. :)

pablozi said:

Thanks for the links.

arc_de_triomphe

Level 1
Verified
Jan 2, 2013
It is difficult to choose between these two good softwares. I vote for Zemana;)
Firefox creates now a folder called "thumbnails" in the profile folder where it saves an image of some pages the user has visited (even https pages). Does one of these tools detect and prevent these screenshots ? I guess no. Why ? Is it normal ?

Also I suggest PrivacyKeyboard here : http://www.anti-keylogger.com/products/privacykeyboard/overview.html

One can test it "10 sessions, 2 hours each."
If an advanced user could test it a little and tell us if it is good...

Vikas.karn

Apr 4, 2013
I Vote SpyShelter because it is one of the best Anti-Keylogger. It is easy to install and easy to use it protects you to various type of threats. It comes with diffrent types of modules which have different functions.So I go with SpyShelter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.