Best anti-malvertising programs and extensions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JB007

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016

Hello james,
Thanks.
If my understanding is correct Stealth Mode improves the effictiveness of Adguard. Why this option is disabled on default settings ?
I also enabled "Hide referent" , "Hide user agent" and "Hide IP address" but I don't know if this is also an improvement ?
Adguard Mode Furtif.PNG

Reactions: conceptualclarity

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@JB007: Well the 3 options you ticked are just part to make your browsing just secure against trackers (Not really VPN at all) part of privacy concept.

Meanwhile one of the possible reason why 'Stealth Mode' is off, likely because it can turned some results of false positive Since the concept will determine to block any trackers that acts to collect something valuable information.

Reactions: JB007

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
Hello james,
Thanks.
If my understanding is correct Stealth Mode improves the effictiveness of Adguard. Why this option is disabled on default settings ?
I also enabled "Hide referent" , "Hide user agent" and "Hide IP address" but I don't know if this is also an improvement ?
View attachment 106392

It's good to ask MT users about those things.

Seems like I'm hearing a lot about programs having default settings that are inadequate.

D

Deleted member 178

Special features can't be turned on by default, because the vendors can't risk a conflict or issue after the installation of the software. First priority is to make it work for everybody, then if the user want increased protection, he has to do it himself.

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
Special features can't be turned on by default, because the vendors can't risk a conflict or issue after the installation of the software. First priority is to make it work for everybody, then if the user want increased protection, he has to do it himself.

That's a good explanation. I think the security companies should make some effort to direct people toward enabling features that will be appropriate for most systems and help them differentiate between when the features should and shouldn't be enabled.

Logethica

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Within the last few years ,at different times I have used ABP, Adguard, uMatrix, & uBlock Origin (which is my personal favourite).
Despite my preferring uBlock Origin I have no reason to dislike or disparage ABP ,uMatrix, or Adguard.:)

I previously stated (In Post #24 of this Thread) that I have personally not experienced a highly noticeable negative effect in Browser performance by using the multitude of additional Filters that I have at present.This doesn't mean that I have not experienced such negative effects previously...
@Huracan is absolutely correct in saying that........
...adding too many filters can affect browsing performance.
....because there are many factors to take into account in addition to simply adding a handful of extra filters to an existing config without necessarily noticing a negative impact.
These factors may include whether numerous filter lists are contradicting the instructions of each other, which specific lists are being used ..etc..

EDIT: In addition to the extensions mentioned above,I have also used Ghostery...
Sadly I found that I experienced continuous Extension Crashes related to the using of other extensions alongside it.

Last edited:
Reactions: conceptualclarity

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
Hello james,
Thanks.
View attachment 106392
Using one or all of the settings may present some problems with some websites.
What I know is that the options of user agent and ip address may be problematic. This has been confirmed by an Adguard dev. The issues will be addressed in the next versions of Adguard.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@Logethica: Definitely, many filters are just same type at all hence choose one you believe it will provide the overall blocking efficiency.

Standard: One common filter + Social Filter blockings OR One common Filter + Child Protection Filter OR honestly one filter is fine.

Reactions: XhenEd

JB007

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
Hello,
Very good point for Adguard technical support: Adguard blocked a well known French site that I use everyday ! I send a mail and 24 hours after the site has been whitelisted:)

Reactions: XhenEd
D

Deleted member 178

That's a good explanation. I think the security companies should make some effort to direct people toward enabling features that will be appropriate for most systems and help them differentiate between when the features should and shouldn't be enabled.

It is why you have the help file...but how many people even read them...

Reactions: JB007 and XhenEd

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
It is why you have the help file...but how many people even read them...

I spent a lot of time looking at the ESET Help file last night. There are a lot of what seem to me to be important security settings for which they don't provide recommendations and don't even provide any commentary or explanation whatsoever. I'll be consulting a configuration guide on Malware Tips.

The Spy Shelter Help file was a lot better.

JB007

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
Reactions: Deleted member 2913
D

Deleted member 2913

Hello,
Today an issue with µBlock Origin.
I cannot watch the vidéos here : Gazzetta TV: le ultime video news dal mondo dello sport. - Video Gazzetta.it :( this Giacinto Facchetti avrebbe compiuto 74 anni. Il tributo che gli dedicò l'Inter :mad: and especially this Beyonce, che spettacolo a San Siro :rolleyes:;)
So I change µBlock Origin for Adguard AdBlocker and then I can watch Facchetti ... and Beyoncé :)
I am using uBlock Origin with default filters & no probs playing videos on those links.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.