Best anti-malvertising programs and extensions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Logethica

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Regarding uBlock Origin....
I currently have 667,900 network filters + 98,884 cosmetic filters....(Because I'm a Lunatic:D;))
There is a high probability that many of them are pointless,either through being way out of date or being better suited to inclusion in a hosts file...
Surprisingly though I have detected no REAL slow down (maybe 0.25 Seconds perhaps) in browser performance as a result of having this many,so have kept them.

Because my list is so large I have only included my "Custom Filters" below (Of which there are 60)

JB007

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
Definitely not. The reply function was definitely blocked by adguard for some reason.

:confused:

Do you think that using µBlock Origin + Adguard Windows could be to improve filtering ?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
With uBlock Origin the difference is negligible...
Check the help pages on AdBlock Plus, or even uBlock Origin.

Of course, the more filters enabled, the higher the memory footprint. Yet, even after adding Fanboy's two extra lists, hpHosts’s Ad and tracking servers, uBlock Origin still has a lower memory footprint than other very popular blockers out there.

Also, be aware that selecting some of these extra lists may lead to higher likelihood of web site breakage -- especially those lists which are normally used as hosts file.

Last edited:

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
Thanks AlphaBeta:) But if both are running there will not be any conflict or issue ?

It's a good question. I have reasons for often having two browsers open at once. My Maxthon is no good for downloading, and my Firefox is no good for print preview.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
:confused:

Do you think that using µBlock Origin + Adguard Windows could be to improve filtering ?
I think they don't improve anything. They just play with the same filters (if you add all common Adguard filters into ublock)
I added some adguard filter lists into ublock + some more lists. I don't see any difference but ublock feels lighter and faster

I dont need system-wide adblocker so adguard is no need for me. If I want I can add a few common adservers into my hosts file to block

Reactions: conceptualclarity
H

hjlbx

• Adguard
  • uBlock Origin
  • uMatrix
Each one is different from the other, but they share commonalities of function. uBlock Origin and uMatrix give the user much more control over javascript within the browser.

For typical day-to-day computing, all three provide a decent base-line protection.

If your looking for absolute protection provided by an adblocker or browser add-on, then it just ain't possible at default settings. For absolute protection it would involve either uBlock Origin or uMatrix - and a whole lot of manual javascript analysis and blocking along with hardening of the browser. You will spend a ton of time configuring uBlock Origin or uMatrix for maximum protection - plus it will fundamentally change your browsing experience in ways you will probably find unacceptable.

For ease-of-use, Adguard has the edge - because it is essentially set-and-forget. uBlock Origin is a balance between Adguard and uMatrix - but you can do a lot of manual tweaking on a URL basis. uMatrix is all about manual configuration.

Tani

Level 9
Verified
Nov 25, 2014
You guys were talking about sandboxing browsers in this thread, have read before as well, does it clears cookies & other information as well once you exit sandbox?

H

hjlbx

You guys were talking about sandboxing browsers in this thread, have read before as well, does it clears cookies & other information as well once you exit sandbox?

Depends upon sandbox settings\configuration. Some users permit cookies, favorites, etc to be saved to real system -- for their convenience.

MalwareTypes

Level 1
Verified
Nov 7, 2014

JB007

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
Hello,
I'm trying Adguard (soft) free (15 days) trial.
Can someone explain to me what is "stealth mode" ?
Is it worth it to enable it ?
Thanks.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Once again, the difference is negligible with uBlock Origin. The problem gets to be a problem with AdBlock Plus because of the way it handles the lists. And depending on the type of hardware you're running could also be no problem.

It's funny you bring out the wiki pages of uBlock when we also have this: uBlock vs. ABP: efficiency compared · gorhill/uBlock Wiki · GitHub
I know the efficiency of uBlock, as I have tested it before - probably about a year ago. I was stating what was written from their Description. No need to be hostile.

MalwareTypes

Level 1
Verified
Nov 7, 2014

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Hello,
I'm trying Adguard (soft) free (15 days) trial.
Can someone explain to me what is "stealth mode" ?
Is it worth it to enable it ?
Thanks.

The major difference between Stealth Mode and popular blockers like ABP, Adguard, Ghostery and others, is that it takes a completely different approach to achieving online privacy. It doesn’t physically block all the trackers. Instead, Stealth Mode simply prevents them from collecting any information. This turns into an advantage, because since all cookies and ETags are being blocked, even if a tracker has not been added to the database yet, it still won’t be able to get any information, making Stealth Mode a more reliable solution.

Source

Reactions: JB007
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.