Battle Best antivirus solution for Windows 11

eXDj

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Aug 2, 2015
Hi
i ask all,what antivirus solution use for w11 22h2 ?
i read in eset forum,eset smart security premium have many bugs
bitdefender i dont whant because it is very hard to uninstall !
kaspersky from hell,NO
i whait for sugestion and please reply only you test 22h2 (windows insiders) + your antivirus solution !
THANK YOU

ScandinavianFish

Level 7
Verified
Dec 12, 2021
Windows Defender with ConfigureDefender set to High (Alternatively DefenderUI set to Recommended) and common sense, and just practice standard cyberhygiene, like keeping your system and applications up to date, avoiding shady sites like pirated and cracked software distributors (warez), and just not clicking on every link or email attachment under the sun

Last edited:

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
I currently run 22621.1 (22H2), and very little besides Windows on the drive.

For this, I use Windows Defender | VoodooShield | H_C FirewallHardening.

I don't think Defender is the "best"--far from it. But it gives me the fewest problems, doesn't cost me extra, and is very amenable to the helper software. Plus, it doesn't bog down the machine. PS: I would never run Defender solo, even though my threat model is very low.

pxxb1

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2018
Hi
kaspersky from hell,NO
i whait for sugestion and please reply only you test 22h2 (windows insiders) + your antivirus solution !
THANK YOU

Anything wrong with Ms Defender?

Shadowra

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
I don't like that it doesn't have good detection, it doesn't block my dangerous sites like crack, etc. like eset
Try with the extension

Windows Defender has an excellent detection on the other hand and is even in the Top 5 ....

peterfat11

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 25, 2021
Hi
kaspersky from hell,NO
THANK YOU
Why is Kaspersky a hell no?
I would recommaned Norton or f secure for their extreme light performance impact. Also no problem running on windows insiders beta

flaubert1971

Level 2
Oct 14, 2019
I use Kaspersky small office security both at home and in the office. But since you don't like it, I recommend F-secure safe. WD, specially configured with the available tools that improve its defensive solidity, strains both the cpu and the fans of your pc. Left at default, however, it is not heard.

G

Guilhermesene

I use Kaspersky small office security both at home and in the office. But since you don't like it, I recommend F-secure safe. WD, specially configured with the available tools that improve its defensive solidity, strains both the cpu and the fans of your pc. Left at default, however, it is not heard.
How is Kaspersky performing on Windows 11? I'm asking because I just put Win11 and I have a 2 year license for KTS, and I'm not sure which AV to put at this point. Anyway, I've already made a complete system image without any third party AV so if I don't like any AV I'll restore the system image.

peterfat11

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 25, 2021
How is Kaspersky performing on Windows 11? I'm asking because I just put Win11 and I have a 2 year license for KTS, and I'm not sure which AV to put at this point. Anyway, I've already made a complete system image without any third party AV so if I don't like any AV I'll restore the system image.
I am using KTS and it runs very smoothly even on beta builds of win 11
No performance lags nor internet slow downs

flaubert1971

Level 2
Oct 14, 2019

I too have a habit, on home PCs, of saving system images without any third-party AV installed. More than anything else because I find that trying an antivirus on a real machine is much better than doing it in a virtual machine.
I have used KTS in the past and have always enjoyed it. On windows 11 KSOS is fine: I guess KTS too. They do not slow down the boot or performance: even if with vpn the internet browsing speed, according to the speedtest, is on average 100 Mb lower. Without vpn no slowdowns. A curious aspect is that KSOS, which is certainly a more complex solution than f-secure safe, in stand-by uses a quantity of ram significantly lower than FSafe: 130 megs against the over 350 of FSafe.
I'm talking about f-safe and not other antiviruses because I really like the Finnish style of security products.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
There is no best AV. It depends on what you prefer for yourself.
For me personally, Microsoft Defender and ESET gives me the least amount of problems. Wondering what sort of bug you experienced with ESET!
On Windows 22H2, which is currently on Release Preview and Beta build, even if you install a third party AV, the Microsoft Defender service keeps running. I tested with Bitdefender and ESET and same result on both. Though it doesn't seem to use CPU. Consumes very little ram, but it's always running. Tools like Defender Control can't stop it. It comes back. Also, it updates its signature a couple of minutes after system boot up because almost all third party AVs takes a few minutes to register into Windows Security after system boot up, and it seems for that couple of minutes Microsoft Defender acts as the main AV.
Looks like this new behavior of Microsoft Defender's service is going to be the norm, but I could be wrong. I couldn't even turn it off by using Group Policy. The Microsoft Defender service seems to run in a suspended mode. But signature update after booting is what bothers me if I'm using a third party AV.
Anyway, try a couple of AVs by yourself and then decide or stick to Microsoft Defender.

G

Guilhermesene

Just feedback: decide, and I'm using ESET Smart Security Premium. I cite some reasons for this:
  • I'm a developer and ESET is the one that least hinders me in terms of development
  • Performance is very fast on my Windows 11
  • As said, @SeriousHoax is one or the only 3rd party AV that causes the least system problems
  • Light as a feather
  • The system boots and practically, you are already up-to-date (you don't have to wait at least 1h like other AVs)
  • Does not interfere with using other apps like SUMo Update
Note: before I get criticized by some users of this forum, I reinforce that these are MY observations and mainly regarding the AV performance on MY MACHINE (maybe it's the same on yours).

In short, for me ESET is more than enough, as I am a long-time AV user (more than 3 years) I believe that I have some experience with it to draw my conclusions and in all this time I have never been infected (even using default settings).

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Just feedback: decide, and I'm using ESET Smart Security Premium. I cite some reasons for this:
  • I'm a developer and ESET is the one that least hinders me in terms of development
  • Performance is very fast on my Windows 11
  • As said, @SeriousHoax is one or the only 3rd party AV that causes the least system problems
  • Light as a feather
  • The system boots and practically, you are already up-to-date (you don't have to wait at least 1h like other AVs)
  • Does not interfere with using other apps like SUMo Update
Note: before I get criticized by some users of this forum, I reinforce that these are MY observations and mainly regarding the AV performance on MY MACHINE (maybe it's the same on yours).

In short, for me ESET is more than enough, as I am a long-time AV user (more than 3 years) I believe that I have some experience with it to draw my conclusions and in all this time I have never been infected (even using default settings).

I can easily relate to your experience with ESET, it is the antivirus solution that works without conflicts, annoying bugs or system slowdown, it is simple reliable and effective.

I like to try antivirus solutions because I am a geek afterall, but I know that ESET is the one that is a keeper and wont give me trouble.

Microsoft Defender is close to ESET in being a no-nonsense solution, but it is heavier on system performance ...

Trooper

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 28, 2015
I can easily relate to your experience with ESET, it is the antivirus solution that works without conflicts, annoying bugs or system slowdown, it is simple reliable and effective.

I like to try antivirus solutions because I am a geek afterall, but I know that ESET is the one that is a keeper and wont give me trouble.

Microsoft Defender is close to ESET in being a no-nonsense solution, but it is heavier on system performance ...

Agreed. If not for one strange issue I have on my home pc I would still be running it at home as I have for many years. At work, it is ESET all the way.

monkeylove

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 9, 2014
Use Novabench and similar to see what's lightest. For free versions, I found Bitdefender to be that.

Indeed, Bitdefender is difficult to uninstall; you might have less problems if you use their uninstall tool. The same goes for other AVs. Given that, you may have to use trial or free versions and see what works.

Common sense, etc., are no longer helpful because malware now appear in legitimate sites and software, and sometimes even go for embedded software, which means you'll need all available security features. Win 11 has them enabled by default, but you'll need more hardware power in order not to experience slower performance.

Default-deny is also difficult for most users, as you may be presented with a request to which you don't know how to answer. There are times when you might deny a process that's actually legitimate and causes the system to malfunction.

Finally, note that this happens in many ways in various software. For example, I set the tracking protection in a browser to "strict" and it broke some websites. You may tweak something in the system and it may break something else; you'll spend hours figuring out what happened until you realize that the problem was caused by that tweak.

Oldie1950

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Mar 30, 2022
Use Novabench and similar to see what's lightest. For free versions, I found Bitdefender to be that.

Indeed, Bitdefender is difficult to uninstall; you might have less problems if you use their uninstall tool. The same goes for other AVs. Given that, you may have to use trial or free versions and see what works.

Common sense, etc., are no longer helpful because malware now appear in legitimate sites and software, and sometimes even go for embedded software, which means you'll need all available security features. Win 11 has them enabled by default, but you'll need more hardware power in order not to experience slower performance.

Default-deny is also difficult for most users, as you may be presented with a request to which you don't know how to answer. There are times when you might deny a process that's actually legitimate and causes the system to malfunction.

Finally, note that this happens in many ways in various software. For example, I set the tracking protection in a browser to "strict" and it broke some websites. You may tweak something in the system and it may break something else; you'll spend hours figuring out what happened until you realize that the problem was caused by that tweak.

I've also used SecureAPlus and CatchPulse and have also received notifications that I had no idea how to decide. When in doubt, I then selected "Allow" because I didn't want to jeopardize the function of my system. But then I can use a standard AV program right away.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.