Battle Best antivirus solution for Windows 11

flaubert1971

Level 2
Oct 14, 2019
Eset Smart Security Premium VS KSOS against a randomly chosen Ramsonware Magnibor, this one described in the screen:

h0gT7f.png

Results:

Eset smart security premium

Kaspersky small office security

Last edited by a moderator:

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Eset Smart Security Premium VS KSOS against a randomly chosen Ramsonware Magnibor, this one described in the screen:

h0gT7f.png

Results:

Eset smart security premium

Kaspersky small office security

Testing by turning off real time protection isn't a real test. Both ESET and Kaspersky have created heuristics for Magniber. When you turn off ESET's real time protection, that goes out of the picture.
Try to find variants for which these AVs don't have signature/heuristics yet, and then you may test with all protection features active.

Shadowra

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
Testing by turning off real time protection isn't a real test. Both ESET and Kaspersky have created heuristics for Magniber. When you turn off ESET's real time protection, that goes out of the picture.
Try to find variants for which these AVs don't have signature/heuristics yet, and then you may test with all protection features active.

The worst thing is that ESET's modules are linked, so disabling real-time protection to throw a Ransomware is completely stupid 🙄🙄

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
The protection in real time is disabled to test the BB component of the antivirus: obviously that in reality the user will not disable it. I could also physically the network but the final result will not change: eset is unable to prevent the encryption of documents.
ESET has a weak BB, and it's not possible to test ESET's BB separately.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
I have seen this type of test on YT and I liked it because it allows us to evaluate the real effectiveness of the BB component of an antivirus.
Maybe it's possible for some products like Kaspersky, Bitdefender, Avast. But not for ESET, Norton, Microsoft Defender, McAfee, etc. Then again, no AV vendor would agree with testing their product with real-time protection turned off.
Edit: If you really want to test the local BB component of an AV, then you can try Kaspersky anti-ransomware tool without internet connection.

Shadowra

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
I have seen this type of test on YT and I liked it because it allows us to evaluate the real effectiveness of the BB component of an antivirus.

Yes, but it does not work on all Antivirus programs.
Some are separate from their main shields, so this kind of test works, but others are linked (and this is the case of ESET, as well as Windows Defender or Avast).

On the other hand, doing this same test with Kaspersky, Bitdefender or F-Secure would not be a problem....

ScandinavianFish

Level 7
Verified
Dec 12, 2021

rain2reign

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2020
Check out this article it about an new antivirus software.
I love how they say with Eset "Only works as an antivirus, with no extra tools" as a con when 6/15 are more than just an Anti-virus product.

cofer123

Level 2
Sep 7, 2021
I like to try antivirus solutions because I am a geek afterall, but I know that ESET is the one that is a keeper and wont give me trouble.
I used to be an adventurer like you. Then I took an arrow in the knee.

Last month we had ESET breaking performance monitors and that took a lot of negative feedback before they fixed it because, per usual ESET stance, they initially refused to acknowledge the possibility of a problem on their end.

Now, since a couple of days ago, I've started to experience several HTTP Bad Request errors on random pages on multiple computers. Guess which application I had to uninstall to make it all go away? I don't know what's been going on, but these past six or so months ESET has dropped the ball regularly with their module updates.

So given the recent events, I would have to recommend to simply stick to Defender. It works well enough and I never noticed it randomly breaking stuff without an explanation. Or go with Kaspersky, because despite some specific issues I faced with my use case and their AV, it also never broke anything during all the time I've used it.

ScandinavianFish

Level 7
Verified
Dec 12, 2021
I used to be an adventurer like you. Then I took an arrow in the knee.

Last month we had ESET breaking performance monitors and that took a lot of negative feedback before they fixed it because, per usual ESET stance, they initially refused to acknowledge the possibility of a problem on their end.

Now, since a couple of days ago, I've started to experience several HTTP Bad Request errors on random pages on multiple computers. Guess which application I had to uninstall to make it all go away? I don't know what's been going on, but these past six or so months ESET has dropped the ball regularly with their module updates.

So given the recent events, I would have to recommend to simply stick to Defender. It works well enough and I never noticed it randomly breaking stuff without an explanation. Or go with Kaspersky, because despite some specific issues I faced with my use case and their AV, it also never broke anything during all the time I've used it.
Stick to Defender, and use an tool like ConfigureDefender or DefenderUI to harden it.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.