Advice Request Best AV for Inexperienced people

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

TedCruz

Level 5
Aug 19, 2022
Hello!
I am about to help some older couple with installing their PC, even tho they’re still above average users they don’t like lots of popups along with user required actions. ( And no, they want something else than windows defender ) also the PC is not the best one performance wise, so preferably something rather light too.

is there anything particular you guys can recommend me?
// Thanks in advance!
I would say ESET Premium, but than again I am partial to ESET.

The benefits of ESET:
1) Very light on resources
2) Extremely low probability of false positives (i.e. low popups asking for things and if it does pop up then most likely it's a nasty or a PUP).
3) Great detection rate however not the #1, due to low probability of false positives the engine is very careful about crying wolf which allows some nasties to get through but very few.

gonza

Level 2
Sep 10, 2019
My favorite setup so far:
Avast Free (hardened mode) + Simple Windows Hardening or Hard_Configurator with Avast profile.

I really want to like Windows Defender, but I found that sometimes is heavy on resources (mostly when I copy/move files). But to be honest, I think none of my relatives will note this.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.