Advice Request Best AV for Inexperienced people

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Zerion

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 2, 2016
Hello!
I am about to help some older couple with installing their PC, even tho they’re still above average users they don’t like lots of popups along with user required actions. ( And no, they want something else than windows defender ) also the PC is not the best one performance wise, so preferably something rather light too.

is there anything particular you guys can recommend me?
// Thanks in advance!

F

ForgottenSeer 97327

When they are inexperienced why do they want something else than Microsoft Defender?

It is like telling the car sales man, hey I am an not an experienced driver and I want a safe car, but a Volvo is not an option. What can you recommend?

Light and easy to use: Panda Free and Bitdefender Free

Free and easy to use with good results in AV-Test and AV-Comparatives: Avast Free, Avira Free

Andrezj

Level 6
Nov 21, 2022
Hello!
I am about to help some older couple with installing their PC, even tho they’re still above average users they don’t like lots of popups along with user required actions. ( And no, they want something else than windows defender ) also the PC is not the best one performance wise, so preferably something rather light too.

is there anything particular you guys can recommend me?
// Thanks in advance!
bitdefender is the most automated with few setting to be access by user

F

ForgottenSeer 97327

As a lurker for many years, I have got the impression that is nearly useless to post questions like "what is the best AV for old people or youngsters or average users", because the OP gets a myriad of opinions and preferences giving the OP so many options, tthat this information raises more questions than answers :)

Last edited by a moderator:

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
As a lurker for many years, I have got the impression that is nearly useless to post questions like "what is the best AV for old people or youngsters or average users", because the OP gets a myriad of opinions and preferences giving the OP so many options, tthat this information raises more questions than answers :)
I agree. People have their preferences and want to push their preferred products for anyone who asks.

Regarding the OP's question for absolutely simplicity install nothing if using Windows 10 or 11. Defender is quite competent if you are not a risk user and has almost 0 prompts.

If you want to go 3rd party, Bitdefender is basically automated out of the box, so basically no configuration needed after installing.

As always test it first if you're going to buy it.

Malleable

Level 1
Mar 2, 2021
My choice too. Stellar protection and no real interaction after installation. Because of their age they'll probably be bombarded with phishing emails and requests from Nigerian VIPs so Comodo FW Free with the cruelsister configuration would be a big plus. Zero cost to them and whatever interaction Comodo FW would require from you would be well worth it. You just may have to go back periodically and unblock some things if they report a problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: ForgottenSeer 97327

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.