Best Behaviour Blocking

XIII

Level 5
Verified
Sep 20, 2016
For some reason, EMET doesn't get talked about so much here on MT. I think the folks here prefer HitmanPro.Alert, despite the price, or they go for AppGuard, which basically makes everything else pretty much obsolete.

Protecting your PC from ransomware gets harder with EMET-evading exploit

Edit: EIS is my longest running security suite consecutively. I've used it with HMPA, HMP, ZAM, MBAM, EEK, no conflicts whatsoever. I consider it the best BB, regardless of what people say the Hub shows about KIS. The Hub results should be taken with less than a grain of salt.

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
shmu26. I haven't been able to find much IT advice or tips on how to use EMET. Maybe that's partly why it's not being used much? I am going to end up shelling for something eventually I guess. I would like to see what EMET can do if all installed programs are set to be monitored. Right now, I am just monitoring browser and some Windows processes like svchost that I thought might be exploitable. I wonder if I should use it with any net related Windows applications or maybe winlogon. Winlogon worries me that there might be a conflict with the normal login process.

End of the conversation, EMET is only a group of protections of one type, memory mitigation. HitmanPro.Alert or Appguard seem to be much more capable for sure. Many others I guess too would be considered much more useful for behavior monitoring. Anyway, I feel inspired to look around a little bit more for commentary on EMET, so thanks alot for the comment.

W

Wave

shmu26. I haven't been able to find much IT advice or tips on how to use EMET. Maybe that's partly why it's not being used much? I am going to end up shelling for something eventually I guess. I would like to see what EMET can do if all installed programs are set to be monitored. Right now, I am just monitoring browser and some Windows processes like svchost that I thought might be exploitable. I wonder if I should use it with any net related Windows applications or maybe winlogon. Winlogon worries me that there might be a conflict with the normal login process.

End of the conversation, EMET is only a group of protections of one type, memory mitigation. HitmanPro.Alert or Appguard seem to be much more capable for sure. Many others I guess too would be considered much more useful for behavior monitoring. Anyway, I feel inspired to look around a little bit more for commentary on EMET, so thanks alot for the comment.
From Windows 8/8.1 and on-wards, some system processes are now protected, improving the default security for them (reducing exploits towards them). However, even for processes like SvcHost.exe (the genuine version/s) or winlogon.exe to be used, the malware will require code execution at administrator level.

Also, see this: Quickly Secure Your Computer With Microsoft’s Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit (EMET)

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Wave. Thanks for the information. Looks like I have everything covered that the program should cover. This link helped:

EMET - The Ultimate Installation and Deployment Guide

Found some interesting information on Firefox in the process. Been trying to keep up with development of the new upcoming changes to Firefox, but this caught me off guard. What are they thinking?

Plug-in support has been dropped other than Flash (Affecting)

I was looking up info on plugin-container, because I couldn't understand why it and Flash weren't running with a YouTube video running. I realized I had video set to HTML5 lol on YouTube Video Player plug in I use to watch YouTube videos in Flash. Someone had uploaded an HTML5 video only in that format that I wanted to watch a few days ago, and I forgot to reset the plugin. I was checking in EMET to see if I had protected Flash and plugin-container which I had already done. I will check to see if this is in the Firefox forum.

W

Wave

I was looking up info on plugin-container, because I couldn't understand why it and Flash weren't running with a YouTube video running. I realized I had video set to HTML5 lol on YouTube Video Player plug in I use to watch YouTube videos in Flash. Someone had uploaded an HTML5 video only in that format that I wanted to watch a few days ago, and I forgot to reset the plugin. I was checking in EMET to see if I had protected Flash and plugin-container which I had already done. I will check to see if this is in the Firefox forum.
HTML5 will be a more secure option; I recommend against using Flash if possible.

Reactions: AtlBo

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
True, but I have used Flash for years, and I am accostomed to the risk. Honestly, HTML5 gives me a headache lol. I feel like I am watching the screen tear before my eyes, while I don't experience that with Flash video. I have no idea why this happens. This was one of the main reasons I looked into EMET, so that I could better secure Firefox and Flash player. Also, I have to mention that I enjoy some of the Flash games on certain sites that I have a long experience with and trust.

Reactions: Wave
W

Wave

True, but I have used Flash for years, and I am accostomed to the risk. Honestly, HTML5 gives me a headache lol. I feel like I am watching the screen tear before my eyes, while I don't experience that with Flash video. I have no idea why this happens. This was one of the main reasons I looked into EMET, so that I could better secure Firefox and Flash player. Also, I have to mention that I enjoy some of the Flash games on certain sites that I have a long experience with and trust.
I don't understand what you mean about watching the screen tear when using HTML5, I don't see a difference on websites like YouTube (e.g. using the HTML5 video player as opposed to the Flash one). There's no problem with liking Flash games, you could enable click-to-play for Adobe Flash on your browser (if it supports it - most mainstream browsers such as IE, Chrome and Firefox will support it) and then click to play your Flash games, alongside using HTML5 for websites like YouTube (e.g. the video player), combined with EMET to safeguard you with additional exploit mitigation.

Just an idea you might like to try out. But if not no problem, just thought to suggest it! ;) :)

Reactions: AtlBo

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Thanks for the idea. I like Flash player, and I haven't ever had any problems with it to date. I don't experience headaches with it, so I am happy to stick with it. I don't feel at risk using Flash player.

Reactions: Wave

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
one caveat about HMPA: it is very prone to conflicts with other software or elements of your OS. For instance, you might attach a USB device, and Windows won't recognize it, or certain programs will crash.
They are constantly putting out new beta versions to solve the conflicts. If you have an issue, sometimes making an exception in HMPA helps, but sometimes it doesn't. There is an active thread on Wilders where you can get help and insight with HMPA issues.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.