Best course of action?

truoc

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 3, 2012
Hello everyone! Long time lurker, first time poster. First off, I apologize if this is posted in the wrong place so feel free to move it if need be. I have a quick question for you all and am looking for suggestions/feedback on the best course of action to take for my given situation. Let me explain. Right now our household consists of 3 desktops, 2 laptops, and 2 printers. Some information regarding them is as follows:

Comcast internet service
Motorola SB6121 cable modem
Asus rt-n56u router

Desktop #1: Running Windows 7 64 bit protected by Norton Internet Security 2012
Desktop #2: Running Windows 7 64 bit protected by Norton Internet Security 2012
Desktop #3: Running Windows Home Server 2011

Laptop #1: Running Windows XP Home Edition with Service Pack 3 protected by Norton Internet Security 2012
Laptop #2: MacBook running OSX Snow Leopard protected by Sophos Antivirus Free

My subscription to Norton Internet Security 2012 is running out here soon and I don't think I will be renewing because of a few factors. One factor is that I have read, from various websites, that the firewall that is included with Norton is not very good. Is that true? A second factor is because of the amount of free security out there today and being a Comcast customer we have access to the free version of Comcast Norton Security Suite which is basically just a rebranded version of Norton 360 if I am correct. I have been doing some research and have been considering a few antivirus + firewall combinations, but I still can't decide which is best. So I am here asking for some advice. Here are the combinations I am considering and I am definitely open to any and all suggestions about these and even other combinations that aren't listed.

Option #1: Comcast Norton Security Suite
Option #2: Comodo Internet Security Suite
Option #3: MSE + Windows firewall
Option #4: MSE + third party firewall (Comodo or Online Armor)
Option #5: Avast free + Windows firewall
Option #6: Avast free + third party firewall (Comodo or Online Armor)
Option #7: Norton Antivirus 2012 (pay for it) + Windows firewall
Option #8: Norton Antivirus 2012 (pay for it) + third party firewall (Comodo or Online Armor)
Option #9: Open to suggestions of any kind

Another thing I should add is that one desktop machine gets used mainly for surfing the web, email, and Facebook stuff. That particular desktop is used by someone that isn't that well versed in what all a computer can do so one thing to consider, I suppose, would be the least amount of notifications on that desktop while the second desktop and laptop it doesn't really matter. I know this is a lot of text and I apologize, but I wanted to explain everything to the max so a better suggestion could be given. I appreciate any and all help/feedback you can give me. Thanks.

win7holic

Apr 20, 2011
I chose Option #6: Avast free + third party firewall - Comodo firewall.
or, if you want pay AVs program. chose this:
Option #8: Norton Antivirus 2012 (pay for it) + third party firewall - Comodo firewall.

Use that for your all laptop or desktop also.
or you can create new thread on this:
http://malwaretips.com/Forum-PC-Security-Configuration-Wizard
so, we can give you a suggestion for solid configuration.

DiabloBlack

Nov 5, 2011
I use Norton Internet Security 2012 on all machines in our home network and have had no problems with the firewall on any of them. One of the desktops runs a web server with no problems what so ever. As you know Norton Internet Security is very light on resources. What is your source saying that Norton's firewall isn't that good? A firewall doesn't have to be in your face (popups) to be doing it's job. Also consider that the default settings of any product you choose may not always be the best option for top performance.

My opinion is stick with Norton Internet Security 2012. Of the options you list I would go with #6 Avast free + third party firewall Comodo. This is the current configuration I run on two VM's, one is Windows 7 Ultimate 32 and the other is Windows XP Pro SP3. This combination works very well with some popups but not to bad. To many popups could intimidate a not so techie computer user so keep that in consideration too. I have also set up option #6 on two other computers recently and the users are pleased with the results thus far.

Option #1: Comcast Norton Security Suite being that it would be free for you as a customer might not be a bad option. If you have a VM (Virtual Machine) set up you might consider giving it a test run there and then decide.

Welcome to MalwareTips :)

truoc

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 3, 2012
DiabloBlack said:
I use Norton Internet Security 2012 on all machines in our home network and have had no problems with the firewall on any of them. One of the desktops runs a web server with no problems what so ever. As you know Norton Internet Security is very light on resources. What is your source saying that Norton's firewall isn't that good? A firewall doesn't have to be in your face (popups) to be doing it's job. Also consider that the default settings of any product you choose may not always be the best option for top performance.

My opinion is stick with Norton Internet Security 2012. Of the options you list I would go with #6 Avast free + third party firewall Comodo. This is the current configuration I run on two VM's, one is Windows 7 Ultimate 32 and the other is Windows XP Pro SP3. This combination works very well with some popups but not to bad. To many popups could intimidate a not so techie computer user so keep that in consideration too. I have also set up option #6 on two other computers recently and the users are pleased with the results thus far.

Option #1: Comcast Norton Security Suite being that it would be free for you as a customer might not be a bad option. If you have a VM (Virtual Machine) set up you might consider giving it a test run there and then decide.

Thanks for the replies guys! I have been fairly happy with NIS2012 seeing as the detection rates are top notch and it doesn't impact system performance all that much, but because I know my subscription to NIS2012 is nearing the end I began wondering if there were free alternatives out there that were just as good if not better (in tandem with other programs of course). I stumbled upon this particular website: http://www.matousec.com/projects/proactive-security-challenge/results.php#products-ratings and it got me wondering about the firewall that comes with Norton. I will admit I'm not even sure if those particular tests would impact me, but seeing Norton place so low got me sort of alarmed. So those results and the curiosity of wondering if there are better/equivalent free versions of what I already have are the reasons why I was considering a switch.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Well, if you an advanced user I recommend Comodo Internet Security because you get to customise the way Comodo detects malware, but if you like AVs that just have to install and leave it I recommend MSE with Comodo Firewall, because little interaction is needed. Avast is another good option.

Anyway hope that helped. :)

Plus welcome to MalwareTips. :)

muhammadariif

Aug 3, 2011
I've tried Norton Internet Security and no problem with antivirus and firewall and now i use CIS cause my subscription is up.

Have you tried 'Windows Firewall with Advanced Security' thats norton provides? It's fun to use you can easily allow and block program from this function. If you never use CIS you might find the firewall are too complicated to use not like norton but its still do a great job and if you want free IS this is a good choice.

Have you watched a video from wind7holic this is the link.

So its depend on you, comodo has high rate detection than norton but takes sometime to configure and if you dont have enough time, better go for Norton. I had tried MSE and i don't find any good thing.

I

illumination

It really depends on your uses and system resources, try to keep an opened mind, go through the forum, you will see there are many alternatives as well as ways to combine applications for a layered approach..

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
DiabloBlack said:

Completely agree if you can get Norton Internet Security for free through Comcast, that should be your best option. A lot of users would love to get NIS for free. There is nothing wrong with Norton's firewall, it is one of the best, just because it doesn't use advanced HIPS features like Comodo, Online, etc. doesn't mean it doesn't offer superior network control. If Norton Internet Security has did a good job at protecting your systems then why change?

Users appear to confuse firewalls with HIPS which are not the same. A true firewall only manages network control that is all it does nothing more nothing less. Noton's Smart Firewall is very nice firewall and offers strong network control, I wished they have a stand-alone version.

Thanks.:D

truoc

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 3, 2012
A HUGE Thank You to everyone that responded, you are all so kind and helpful. Unfortunately the Comcast Norton version is not Internet Security, but more like Norton 360, which isn't all bad, but I'm not sure I need all the tune up stuff that comes with it if I choose to go that route. I spoke to a buddy of mine to see what he used and he said he has been using Avast for a long time now and hasn't had any problems with it so I might end up giving that a try. Again I appreciate all of the responses!

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
If you are an advance user and love to tweak in order to have maximum protection then go to Option #2.

Well if your satisfied and you want to renew it then go to Option #1.

Also if you want a free AV that covers with features then go to Option #5.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.