Best free and light antivirus?

• Thread starter Deleted Member 333v73x
  • Start date

pneuma1985

Level 4
Verified
Aug 30, 2015
Edge have SmartScreen, you don't need anymore- (maybe adguard to block ads)
SmartScreen? With Microsoft I'm not so sure these days! I vote 360, but I tested this years version.
I have yet to test Avira free this year or last.

Last edited:
Reactions: DracusNarcrym

robbyrob

Level 1
Verified
Dec 21, 2014
a little curious why no one is suggesting Avast? I only see 31MB for RAM and 0% CPU. I have been wanting to switch. Not sure why I dont like this AV but I dont. I was thinking about 360 but everyone talking about their privacy ##### got me spooked but then again does anyone care to tell me what they are actually collecting that everyone is freaking out about? Also how does that compare with other AV like Avast Avira etc..

ok so now I see that Avira is only 6.9 MB. WOW nice! going to stick with this for a while and see how I like it vs Avast. Still curious on what privacy info 360 is collecting if anyone knows? I ran it for a while but bailed on it when I started reading privacy issues. I wonder if it's just panic since its a Chinese company or are they really collecting some serious info from us?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: CySecy825

TheMalwareMaster

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 4, 2016
Personally I don't like avast because it misses too many PUPs and I don't like their zero-day modules. Avira free seems to be doing a Really Good job there days. BD Free is ok but I prefer Avira cloud (signatures + some kind of heuristics) instead of active virus control

C

CySecy825

Thread author
Is Sophos Home Free Really have Behavior Blocker?

And how about Auto remove threats ?

Thanks

Pat MacKnife

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 14, 2015
Is Sophos Home Free Really have Behavior Blocker?

And how about Auto remove threats ?

Thanks
Read their blog : Introducing Sophos Home – A simple (and free) way to protect your family online | Sophos Blog

I could spend a long time telling you about the cool behavioral detection tech that watches apps for malicious actions, or the instant checking we do to make sure the website you’re visiting hasn’t been compromised. The real point is that Sophos Home is industry-leading security tech, but with a new management system designed from the ground up for the home user … and it’s free!

Reactions: Ink and CySecy825

robbyrob

Level 1
Verified
Dec 21, 2014
So now I went to check task manager and saw this??
Capture.png

41.6 MB of RAM also when I first checked it I only had 1 task for Avira. How come I have 6 now?

Reactions: Rishi

Kate_L

in memoriam
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 21, 2014
Because of the launcher (Avira + Avira Launcher).

I think the launcher it's useless on the free version, if you install the "offline" version you will not have it.

:)

done

Level 5
Verified
Mar 19, 2015
No because it doesn't detect much, not many settings and no malicious website protection - does Avira protect MS Edge from malicious websites and is it any good?
It does have malicious website protection. not the best but it has. as for your question
Qihoo 360 Total Security but it does not have a good web filter

robbyrob

Level 1
Verified
Dec 21, 2014
that was it.. uninstalled it and installed the offline version and its only 31 MB.

thanks!

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Avira Shadow Copy process and AVguard process totally exist on numerous version of Avira and sometimes the resource may spike little but not exceed on the limit average. Meanwhile for Qihoo's privacy issue, well its collecting only the sufficient information for detection and other than that everything are for statistics. @robbyrob

TheMalwareMaster

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 4, 2016
To add website protection You need to click on web protection in avira launcher and that will add avira extension to chrome (no other modifications)

Reactions: Der.Reisende

safe1st

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 29, 2016
1. BitDefender Antivirus Free
2. 360 TS
3. Avast Antivirus Free (its good for me at least)
4. AVG Antivirus Free

Reactions: Der.Reisende

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
right
My setup for my friend is Avast free (enabled PUP, disabled transient caching) + windows firewall + unchecky + google chrome with ublock (some malware filters) and bitdefender trafficlight
feel so light and no slow down

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.