Battle Best Free Combo to prevent Infections (No Traditional AV)

Compare list
hard configurator + comodo firewall + secureaplus (UV disabled+ apex not real time protection+reg as antivirus)
hard configurator + comodo firewall + avast free (only file prot. with HM)
hard configurator + spyshelter + secureaplus (UV disabled+ apex not real time protection+reg as antivirus)
hard configurator + spyshelter + avast free (only file prot. with HM)
hard configurator + huorong IS (Host Reinforcement set to deny+Custom rules)
Others
In-depth Comparison

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
I agree that viral signatures represent greater security, and that being lacking in it is negative, however it is the only decent one that runs well on that old little eepc.
What's better than free and cloud and light?
I haven't found any others.
I can only agree with that. I still have a 14 year old windows xp machine that I use mainly as sort of media player. It only has 512 mb of ram, and the only AV that is not killing it is Panda. Also on more recent systems, it's still my go-to AV, since it's the one that always runs light in any case. It just works everytime without slowdowns. Also on laptops the difference in battery times is huge with panda than with any other suites, because it's so light. There are offline signatures too and the cloud isn't negative either imo, always up to date and honestly how many times people use their computers without internet connection these days.

Chri.Mi

Level 7
Thread author
Well-known
Apr 30, 2020
I can only agree with that. I still have a 14 year old windows xp machine that I use mainly as sort of media player. It only has 512 mb of ram, and the only AV that is not killing it is Panda. Also on more recent systems, it's still my go-to AV, since it's the one that always runs light in any case. It just works everytime without slowdowns. Also on laptops the difference in battery times is huge with panda than with any other suites, because it's so light. There are offline signatures too and the cloud isn't negative either imo, always up to date and honestly how many times people use their computers without internet connection these days.
In your situation would replace windows xp and panda, with a slim linux distro, specially if u just use like media player.

Nautilus

Level 2
Apr 27, 2020
the most straight forwarded answer would be windows buit in beefed up with hard configurator and configure defender. you could ad comodo firewall if desired , but the software is riddled with bugs that they completely ignore and do not fix , occasionally comodo software causes system issues so you really have to ask yourself the question , do I want to deal with all of that. AVAST I would not touch with a ten foot pole personally after they way they raped their ( even paying!!!! ) customers with privacy infridgements , so that should be a big no no. you wanted to compare free software , and that is where the main problem lies : in most cases you pay for the software with your privacy wich get abused ( sold to another third party , to bombard you with paying for upgrades , pester you with adds ) free is rarely free in the software world , besides that 3rd party software anchors itselfs in each nook and cranny in the operating system and you should never be so happy with that. as I came to conclusion after many years of trial and error with various software year in year out , I came to the conclusion that less is more : so in short : defender , hardconfigurator and configure defender is more than enough , and besides that @Andy Ful tools are easy to uninstall and leave no traces or leftover drivers / registry items / startup items after uninstall that can cause system issues. I honoustly think that many MT users can concur with the statement that I made here.

Chri.Mi

Level 7
Thread author
Well-known
Apr 30, 2020
the most straight forwarded answer would be windows buit in beefed up with hard configurator and configure defender. you could ad comodo firewall if desired , but the software is riddled with bugs that they completely ignore and do not fix , occasionally comodo software causes system issues so you really have to ask yourself the question , do I want to deal with all of that. AVAST I would not touch with a ten foot pole personally after they way they raped their ( even paying!!!! ) customers with privacy infridgements , so that should be a big no no. you wanted to compare free software , and that is where the main problem lies : in most cases you pay for the software with your privacy wich get abused ( sold to another third party , to bombard you with paying for upgrades , pester you with adds ) free is rarely free in the software world , besides that 3rd party software anchors itselfs in each nook and cranny in the operating system and you should never be so happy with that. as I came to conclusion after many years of trial and error with various software year in year out , I came to the conclusion that less is more : so in short : defender , hardconfigurator and configure defender is more than enough , and besides that @Andy Ful tools are easy to uninstall and leave no traces or leftover drivers / registry items / startup items after uninstall that can cause system issues. I honoustly think that many MT users can concur with the statement that I made here.
Honestly i dont care about privacy, but i am not using avast now

Step 1

Level 3
Verified
Sep 17, 2018

100% agree, that is the configuration of two of my three computers, in the third one I am "playing" with ZoneAlarm Extreme Security + Hard Configurator (y)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.