Best Free Software's For New PC (Archive 2014-2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackuars

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Being a FREEWARE junkie, these are the various software's on my PC. The list might be useful when you're re-installing your O.S, or when you want a particular software. What's better than FREE? :D

This is still a partial list, and more categories will be added soon. Sadly I had to limit to 1 software per category. Also included only desktop software's no browser extensions etc. Do give your recommendations and alternatives and hopefully you like the list. :)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
List Updates:
Changed SlimDrivers to IOBit Driver Booster (19-09-2018)
Changed Everything to UltraSearch in Desktop Search (07-07-17)
Added FTP Client - FileZilla (07-07-17)
Changed MBAM to Zemana in Antispyware (07-07-17)
Added Iris mini in Eye Protection (07-07-17)
Added Process Explorer in System Monitor (07--07-17)
Added MCShield in USB Protection (06-07-17)
Added SHAREit in File Transfer (06-07-17)
Added Open Broadcaster Sofware in Game Recoder (06-07-17)
Changed Qihoo 360 to Avast in Antivirus (05-07-17)
Changed Avidemux to DaVinci Resolve in Video Editor (05-07-17)
Changed Kingsoft to WPS Office in Office Suites (05-07-17)
Changed XnView to FastStone in Image Viewer (05-07-17)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Nice list and perhaps I understood the process you choose since there so many good and free alternative software. ;)

I will add as suggestion/recommendation to your list.

TeraCopy - Copy and Move file explorer
Virtualbox - Virtualization Software

jackuars

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014

Kent

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Nov 4, 2013
Being a FREEWARE junkie, these are the various software's on my PC. The list might be useful when you're re-installing your O.S, or when you want a particular software. What's better than FREE? :D

This is still a partial list, and more categories will be added soon. Do give your recommendations and alternatives and hopefully you like the list. :)
Great list!!! Is IOBit Uninstaller/ASC safe and crap free(no bundled apps)??

jackuars

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Uninstaller; i go for GeekUninstaller :)

The reason I chose IOBit uninstaller is because all Pro features in GeekUninstaller

tick.png
Real-time installation monitor
tick.png
Batch Removal
tick.png
Start-up programs management
tick.png
Thorough and complete removal
tick.png
Modern interface, technical support

is available in the Free version of IOBit uninstaller.

Make your choice :)

Av Gurus

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 22, 2014
The reason I chose IOBit uninstaller is because all Pro features in GeekUninstaller

tick.png
Real-time installation monitor
tick.png
Batch Removal
tick.png
Start-up programs management
tick.png
Thorough and complete removal
tick.png
Modern interface, technical support

is available in the Free version of IOBit uninstaller.

Make your choice :)

Iobit free has RT instalation monitor & startup managment?
Can you show me, please?

jackuars

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Iobit free has RT instalation monitor & startup managment?
Can you show me, please?
IOBit Uninstaller runs a service in the background, monitoring applications installed/uninstalled in real-time.

I think I made a mistake about start-up programs management, but IOBit uninstaller provides a file shredder and removal of toolbars/plugins/apps.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
IMO, no need for all these extra software. Looks like you're picking your favourite for each category, when Windows 8.1 ("New PC") already has a lot of these features built-in or installed by default (ie. from Windows Store). For the average user, they won't require a third-party File Manager or Program Executor. For most users, File Explorer is enough and the Start Screen / Desktop shortcuts are sufficient to launch any program installed.

Last edited:

jackuars

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
IMO, no need for all these extra software. Looks like you're picking your favourite for each category, when Windows 8.1 ("New PC") already has a lot of these features built-in or installed by default (ie. from Windows Store). For the average user, they won't require a third-party File Manager or Program Executor. For more users, File Explorer is enough and the Start Screen / Desktop shortcuts are sufficient to launch any program installed.

I download the setup's for these software's, and keeps them in a directory. When I need them, or on one of my friends PC I just transfer them through my flash drive. I don't have to search and download from the web again, and this saves me time.

Yes Windows has many features built-in, and they are just bare bones, like Windows Media Player, which can't play many file formats. That's when people look for these 'alternatives' :D

Last edited:
Reactions: msmia2k

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Yes, but what I am saying not all are required for a "New PC".

The more software that is installed, more maintenance is required to keep all updated, more bandwidth used, more this and that. As well as the imposed security and privacy risk from using older (out-dated) or commonly exploited software.

Shaun

Level 2
Verified
Feb 17, 2014
When i set up a " new PC " for someone all i put on it is:

AV - If they don't want defender,
VLC player,
Skype - Desktop because the app version is rubbish,
Process explorer,
and Team viewer.

Only 2 of these the person will ever use.

jackuars

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Yes, but what I am saying not all are required for a "New PC".

The more software that is installed, more maintenance is required to keep all updated, more bandwidth used, more this and that. As well as the imposed security and privacy risk from using older (out-dated) or commonly exploited software.

Obviously I don't have all of them installed at the same time :) May be only half from this list. But whenever I need one, I just have to browse this directory. :D So it's good that you keep a directory full of these software's, which might be useful at some point.

Shaun

Level 2
Verified
Feb 17, 2014
Obviously I don't have all of them installed at the same time :) May be only half from this list. But whenever I need one, I just have to browse this directory. :D

It is a nice list for anyone that needs anything from any of those category :D

Reactions: Oxygen
S

Sr. Normal

It is very similar to what I have installed, I am surprised that you do not include VLC instead of Potplayer , my other preferences are Wise Care for optimize/clean the system along with Glary . (since it would take Wise Registry Cleaner Free) .
Other minor differences are Libreoffice , Online Armor free firewall .
I really like the list you made and I'm surprised to have coincided Therefore, having so many options for customization .
Thanks , good idea this yours.

Shaun

Level 2
Verified
Feb 17, 2014
It is very similar to what I have installed, I am surprised that you do not include VLC instead of Potplayer , my other preferences are Wise Care for optimize/clean the system along with Glary . (since it would take Wise Registry Cleaner Free) .
I really like the list you made and I'm surprised to have coincided Therefore, having so many options for customization .

Oh i forgot open office in my post. thank you for reminding me :D

jackuars

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
I am surprised that you do not include VLC instead of Potplayer.

PotPlayer in it's current phase is much better than KMPlayer (it's older brother), and it gets updated nearly every 2 weeks with new features and fixes. Moreover from the exhaustive list of options and configurations, it's more advanced than VLC. Although both are equally good, I had to choose one.

The reason I chose Kingsoft/WPS is because it's very much like Microsoft Office, or you could say a clone of it. So it'll be easier for anyone who switches from MS Office. :)

I'm glad you like this list ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.