Q&A Best Free Softwares for Windows

rain2reign

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2020
I just thought i'd share this tiny torrent client. It's not as extensive as qBittorent or Tixati, but it's small, portable and does everything the majority will ever need. I just put it on a USB together in my "Windows toolbox" folder, since I don't download as many torrents as I used to this one filled in the void for me without having to install client. :D

Tutman

Level 12
Verified
Top poster
Well-known
Apr 17, 2020
I just thought i'd share this tiny torrent client. It's not as extensive as qBittorent or Tixati, but it's small, portable and does everything the majority will ever need. I just put it on a USB together in my "Windows toolbox" folder, since I don't download as many torrents as I used to this one filled in the void for me without having to install client. :D

I use and prefer Taxati for the customization features BUT this being portable, small and open source I am intrigued. I will have to check it out.. thanks much!

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Verified
Top poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017
Good alternative to WinRar. chinese ver also have cloud protection (connected to 360 cloud).

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Verified
Top poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017
Xtreme Download Manager
Hello jackuars, pls try this. its the english version of Thunder (XunLei) translated by someone.
After that install this extension .
The website:

jackuars

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
also:
Hello jackuars, pls try this. its the english version of Thunder (XunLei) translated by someone.
After that install this extension .
The website:
Thanks for the suggestions. Will try them out.

I liked the queue'ing system with drag and drop feature in Eagleget. This is much better than what's implemented in IDM & XDM.

pxxb1

Level 6
Jan 17, 2018
Whats your preferred file unlocker software? @roger_m @jackuars or anyone else?
I use Iobit unlocker which I preferred more than unlocker, lockhunter and fileassassin.

I used to use Unlocker but when it did not succed one time i tried IOBits d.o, it did it. So now IOBits Unlocker is the one i use. I have not tried all that many but IOBits has so far never failed.

jackuars

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Whats your preferred file unlocker software? @roger_m @jackuars or anyone else?
I use Iobit unlocker which I preferred more than unlocker, lockhunter and fileassassin.
I see that you've used the most popular unlockers and I think IOBit unlocker will be a good add. An unlocker that provides a portable version would be my preference. Emsisoft used to provide BlitzBlank in the past, not sure how good it is now, I guess it's not updated anymore. Another option that I'd try will be that's built-in to suites like Wise Care (Wise Force Deleter) or if a 3rd party task manager provides that feature.

I would love to know why you prefer IOBit's Unlocker compared to LockHunter. I guess both are good and regularly updated.

I haven't used file unlockers in a very long time. I've been using Linux 90% of the time these days, that I don't look into that many softwares on Windows anymore. Maybe I will create a list for Linux too.

Last edited:

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
I would love to know why you prefer IOBit's Unlocker compared to LockHunter. I guess both are good and regularly updated.
Lockhunter and fileassassin couldn't delete a certain file but Iobit could. Thats the reason I preferred it. I forgot what file(s) it was, some software leftover(s). I didn't try unlocker for this file so not sure how good that would be. Didn't know Wise and Emsisoft have these tools. Thanks for the recommendations.

I use portable version of Iobit unlocker from potableapps.com. I don't think its officially available however but I trust apps from portableapps.com so far.

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Verified
Top poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017

mtbboy1993

Level 1
Oct 31, 2021
Photo enchancement:
Rawtherapee raw photo processing
I've been using it for years to edit my photos.

Irfan View IrfanView - Official Homepage - One of the Most Popular Viewers Worldwide Imae viewer

Screen Recording and streaming:
OBS -Open Broadcasting Software Screen recorder, streaming software Open Broadcaster Software | OBS works well, frequently updated, can record parts of the screen, a window, have different setups saved. works well.
Thunderbird E-Mail Thunderbird — Make Email Easier. email, calendar, great contact list, can add all relevant info like websites, addresses, emails, phone numbers, photo, emails can be marked to read later, important.

Compression:
7Zip 7-Zip File compression

Music:
foobar200 foobar2000 advanced freeware audio player for the Windows platform.

Game chat overlay and communication:
Discord Discord | Your Place to Talk and Hang Out

Last edited: